Graphics failure

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
My 2011 MacBook Pro 15” quit working and after taking it to a local repair shop it’s been diagnosed with the graphics failure that plagued some of these units. I found out online that Apples free fix for it ended on Dec. 31, 2016 so now I don’t know what to do. I plan on calling on Monday and see if they’ll be nice and do it (which I highly doubt) or find out my options. I can’t just ditch the computer because I had a 1 TB SSD put in it about 5 months ago and it’s been better than new.

Any advice on what to do here?

Jeff

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The 2011 15" Macbook had entered "legacy" status which means apple store can't order replacement parts.

I also had a 15" late 2011 Macbook with a failed gpu. I bought it off Craigslist for a very low price knowing it had this problem. I had the gpu replaced locally with an updated revision of the same chip and have the machine to a relative.

The ssd and possibly ram could need used in a 2012 13" and 15" Macbook.

You could also contact the rossmangroup.com for a repair estimate.

Here is a thread that may help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks:
"Any advice on what to do here?"

At this stage of the game, "repairing it" is no longer economically feasible, considering the cost.

Better to bite the bullet and put that money towards a new 2015 or 2017 design (the 2015 design is still sold "as new" by Apple as well as the 2017's).

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
Apple won’t do anything about it so I searched out and found a rebuilt logic board from iFixit and will order it when they have one available and have it installed. I hope that will make my computer last a few more years at least. I know there is some risk in putting in a rebuilt board but I hate to just trash mine and go buy another.

Jeff

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
As a 2011 owner, I encourage you to not do it unless you are getting the board for like $150 or less.

It has the same design defect at the original, many of the 'used' and 'refurb' boards are ones that are in the 'malfunctioning but not quite dead yet' GPU stage, and even the boards that Apple used in the replacement program were anything but reliable (in many cases, they failed within 30 days of replacement.)

I intentionally overheated mine so that it started up successfully, disabled the dGPU, and have used it as a desktop and not shut it down since (that was like 8 months ago.)

You could try the oven method, a GPU reball, or disabling the GPU using the method listed in another thread here - but ultimately, IMO, it's just not worth putting money into as nothing is a permanent fix that restores anywhere near long-term full functionality. That's just my opinion tho.

Reactions: Miltz

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
As a 2011 owner, I encourage you to not do it unless you are getting the board for like $150 or less.

It has the same design defect at the original, many of the 'used' and 'refurb' boards are ones that are in the 'malfunctioning but not quite dead yet' GPU stage, and even the boards that Apple used in the replacement program were anything but reliable (in many cases, they failed within 30 days of replacement.)

I intentionally overheated mine so that it started up successfully, disabled the dGPU, and have used it as a desktop and not shut it down since (that was like 8 months ago.)

You could try the oven method, a GPU reball, or disabling the GPU using the method listed in another thread here - but ultimately, IMO, it's just not worth putting money into as nothing is a permanent fix that restores anywhere near long-term full functionality. That's just my opinion tho.
I appreciate the advice. My wife says go buy a new computer but I don’t know what to do with this one. It has 16g ram and a six month old SSD plus the machine is in like new condition all over including the screen.

Jeff

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I appreciate the advice. My wife says go buy a new computer but I don’t know what to do with this one. It has 16g ram and a six month old SSD plus the machine is in like new condition all over including the screen.

Jeff
I must say I agree with your wife.

Stick The SSD in a USB enclosure and have a very fast external for back ups or storage, sell the ram you'll get about half your money back

Reactions: jerryk

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
I must say I agree with your wife.

Stick The SSD in a USB enclosure and have a very fast external for back ups or storage, sell the ram you'll get about half your money back
One person told me to part it out. He said the screen is worth money, the battery is not very old, etc. I guess I just hate to take the SSD and the ram out and throw it away.

Jeff