Graphics Garbage after 10.6.3 update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jimithing1, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jimithing1 macrumors regular

I just installed 10.6.3 and after the update each time my computer starts up I get this awful graphics garbage and can't see anything at all. I see the apple logo just fine at start up but as soon as it gets into the log in screen it is just garbage. Any suggestions? I have an early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz octo with the default ATI graphics card that came with it.

2. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I was able to get into OS X through Safe Boot. I think the problem might be a custom color profile I had. I can't seem to find the profile in safe boot so I can delete it.

3. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope wasn't the color profile. Safe Boot loads everything up fine but when it boots up to normal boot it just gets that graphics garbage.

4. Minor Threat macrumors newbie

I'm getting some odd graphics glitches, but only when I move windows in the finder. Like moving a window will show that puff of smoke thing that occurs when you move something off the dock haha...very odd. Not impressed with 10.6.3

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No glitches here, though I'm currently using a 7300 GT.

6. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going to have to revert back and do a clean install I guess. This is ridiculous.

7. nepfotos macrumors member

nepfotos

As I have the same mac pro as the op, I am worried now and would like to know if anyone else had problems with 10.6.3?
    Thanks

8. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Back your stuff up and then try it I guess. I was able to back everything up in safe boot and now i'm reinstalling.

9. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok got everything back up and running. Did a overwrite install back to 10.6 and then upgraded to 10.6.2. I'm going to hold off on 10.6.3 until whatever graphics problems there are are solved.

10. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and in case anyone wants to see what it did here is a pic:

[​IMG]

11. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

So I went back and did a clean install of snow leopard on my machine then did the combo update to 10.6.3. Still the same result. I'm beginning to think that I have a bad graphics card even though this problem does not persist in 10.6.2. I just don't get it. It is fine in safe boot in 10.6.3 but as soon as it does the normal boot into it I get the graphics garbage above. Has anyone else with the same setup with 2600XT graphics card I have run into this issue?

12. nepfotos macrumors member

nepfotos

As I have the same setup 2008 2.8 Octo with stock 2600XT card I was very worried while installing the update, but everything was fine, no graphic problems.
    Seems that your problems are not only related to your setup.

13. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

14. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

What does that do? I'm having this problem on my standard 2600XT card that came with my Mac Pro, not a flashed 4870.

15. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

i know you are using that card. that zip contains 10.6.2 drivers. allowing you to run 10.6.3 using 10.6.2 graphic drivers.

16. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

So how do I go about installing these? Before I do the 10.6.3 update? Or after? If it is after I can't get into 10.6.3 because of the graphics garbage unless if I boot into safe mode.

17. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

then boot safe mode.

everything you need is in the zip.

18. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't work, after I installed in safe boot at restart it couldn't load back in regularly as the load wheel on the apple screen would freeze. Going back to 10.6.2. I was on the phone with apple earlier and they have sent it off to engineering and i'm going to hear back in a few days about what the deal is.

I wonder if it is my monitor? I have a Dell 2408 monitor.

19. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

i dont think it will help send away the mac since the problem most likely is ati drivers, not card or mac or display

are you sure you installed kexts correctly?

20. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no way I am sending it away. They will need to at least send me a new graphics card before that happens.

Yup I installed them correctly, dragged them to ktext helper in safe mode entered my password then easy installed.

21. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

oh right you used the 2600, I forgot that zip does not contain that one.

if you still want to try then save the ATI2600Controller.kext from your 10.6.2 install and then update 10.6.3 and then install that kext + the ones from the zip.

22. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Where is the ATI2600Controller.kext located

Nevermind found it...

23. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that didn't work either. Still the same result. I don't think in 10.6.3 those files were updated as I looked at the Extensions folder to see what was updated in the actual update and those had the same time stamps before the update. Yet there were other files in the extensions folder that was updated. So I think I'll just wait now and see what Apple engineering finds out. Maybe they will get me a new card out of all this.

24. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update, Apple is sending me a new 2600XT card to try to see if that helps. So we'll see if that fixes the problem.

25. jimithing1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup it was a bad graphics card apparently. 10.6.3 must have opened up a vulnerability in the bad card that just made it wonk out after the update. The new card works perfectly. So weird though that the old card worked fine in 10.6.2 but not in 10.6.3