Great AirPower alternative

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Donnation, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

I wasn't sure if this had been posted before so I thought I would mention it. Recently I picked up a wireless charging pad called Slice Charge. It is very similar in design to AirPower and works fantastic. It will charge two Qi enabled devices as well as the Apple Watch in the center.

The box and packaging were very nice and the pad itself feels very high quality. It comes with a USB-C cable and power brick. Obviously it doesn't have the cool animations that AirPower was promoting, but it still works well. Another difference is that the watch has to be placed in the center due to it being a built in watch charger only on that portion. That part is magnetic though so its very easy to place the watch in for charging.

Anyway I just thought I'd share. I really like this and it will come in extremely useful when traveling as its a one stop charging spot for all three devices.

IMG_0628.jpeg IMG_0043.jpeg

2. Rigtee macrumors newbie

Rigtee

Nice product for a great price ($50 I read on the internet)!

3. Donnation thread starter macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Yeah sorry I didn't post the price. I felt that $50 was not bad and it works just as advertised.

4. Tdosthp macrumors regular

May I ask when you ordered and how long it took to receive? I ordered one right after AirPower was cancelled and haven’t heard a peep since.

5. Donnation thread starter macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Hmm. I did the exact same thing. It took about three weeks to get here but they shipped it out with a tracking number the day after i ordered it.

6. theman510 macrumors 6502a

7. dmccombs macrumors regular

I emailed these guys with a question about their product and they never answered. If they won't answer sales questions I was very concerned about what would happen if I need post-sales help. I ended up not placing an order.

Good luck to those that rolled the dice. It sounds like some orders are being shipped, and some aren't.

8. Tdosthp macrumors regular

I ordered version 1 about 3 weeks ago. Just got shipping notice on Monday. Emailed them 2-3 times and they responded within a day or two. They did state, with the cancellation of AirPower, they are slammed and operating at capacity.

9. danniexi macrumors 6502

ordered version 1. card is charged immediately. after a week of no updates, i sent an email regarding the status of the order. week with no response. i had to check the website to see that they were ‘swamped’ with orders and emails so there would be a delay. i send another email requesting my money back instead. after a few days, a person requests my paypal address. i respond to the email. no response for another week. i had to refute the charges on my credit card.

ymmv but hell no would i deal with that bs again.

10. Donnation thread starter macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Hmmm, not sure why some people are having issues with ordering these. I ordered mine, and got a confirmation the next day, with a shipment confirmation in a couple more days. It arrived in about 2 weeks time and works great.

11. Tdosthp macrumors regular

I would not feel comfortable ordering from these folks again. In fact, i finally received my version 1 yesterday and it won’t charge my watch. SOMETIMES when i put the watch in the center (feel a slight magnetic pull), it will begin charging, but quits after a short time. If I try to reposition the watch to make it start charging again, the pad doesn’t recognize the watch. I have to unplug and plug the pad back in, replace the watch, and it starts charging again for a short time.

I am afraid to ask for a return and refund; my warranty will run out first, at the rate they communicate!

12. bob24 macrumors 6502

One reason the v1 would have been a no-go for me is that the watch charger is not MFI certified. The one on the v2 is, which should prevent the type of issue you are having.

13. Tdosthp macrumors regular

Do have an Apple Watch Series 4 that you are charging with the SliceCharge 2? Having any issues? Mine charges a S3 just fine, but not a S4. Been trying for 3 days and it’s very inconsistent.

14. Donnation thread starter macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Yeah mine is a series 4 and it charges perfectly fine. Weird, I wonder why yours isn’t working correctly.

15. Tdosthp macrumors regular

I have the SliceCharge 2.....not sure if there was a SliceCharge 1. Stupid me, didn’t even check for MiFi. I now see the yet-to-be-released SliceCharge Pro IS MiFi.

16. Tdosthp macrumors regular

Thank you.

17. bob24 macrumors 6502

Yes the Pro is what I was (unclearly) calling the v2. I think the one you have called SliceCharge 2 is basically at twerked version of their first design with a removable power cable, and the Pro is their second design.

And btw, while the Pro is MFI certified, it is not Qi-certified (at least not yet, they said they applied for certification). While it is unlikely to cause major compatibility issues, it does concern me a but in terms of safety and reliability.

18. theman510 macrumors 6502a

According to the Kickstarter page, the Slicecharge Pro's started shipping 6/11. Has anybody received theirs yet?