GREAT NEWS! AIM.APP is FIXED in 2.1!!!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Okay so check this out. Using AIM.app in Firmware version 2.1, the correction bubbles now appear ABOVE THE WORDS!!! I'm not making this up. I just installed 2.1 on my iPod touch!

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!

I'll post a screenshot in a second!

In case anyone didn't know, when the bubbles appeared below the words, it was really hard to type any letters that were on the top row of keys if they were directly underneath the bubble because then you'd inadvertently close the correction and spell stuff wrong.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=549960 See here.

Attachments

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I think this is a firmware fix, as the SDK was inconsistent with where the bubbles appeared (I've always got them to appear below the textfield/searchbar no matter what I did).

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I think this is a firmware fix, as the SDK was inconsistent with where the bubbles appeared (I've always got them to appear below the textfield/searchbar no matter what I did).
That's what I said. The 2.1 "Firmware" fixes the AIM.app correction bubbles. It's definitely a firmware fix because I didn't re-install AIM.app after the firmware upgrade.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Why is this thread in the iPhone forum? I thought there was a dedicated app forum, and an iPod touch forum too ... :confused:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Why is this thread in the iPhone forum? I thought there was a dedicated app forum, and an iPod touch forum too ... :confused:
Hmm... perhaps you're right. Maybe it's because it's a 1.2 specific fix. It's fixed in Firmware 1.2. If it was a new AIM.app update, then I would have put it in the App forum. This is definitely Firmware news. I'm happy.

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
This is great news, I am excited for Friday so I can update my iPhone 3G to iPhone Software 2.1. :)

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

cause it's a firmware fix and I'm sure there are more iphone users who use aim than iPod touch users :p.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This is a great start for a great update! I've been on Paringo to avoid this. But...it still comes up!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

TheSpaz said:

Hmm... perhaps you're right. Maybe it's because it's a 1.2 specific fix. It's fixed in Firmware 1.2. If it was a new AIM.app update, then I would have put it in the App forum. This is definitely Firmware news. I'm happy.
Awesome! You got the 2.1 upgrade for the iPhone! Post a link already!

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008

No hes referring to the 2.1 iPod touch firmware

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

Eminemdrdre00 said:
No hes referring to the 2.1 iPod touch firmware
I know. ;)

He's posting about an app, running on an iPod touch. In the iPhone forum.

What's the point of having different forums if people just post things wherever they feel they'll get the most traffic? :mad:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005

More people read the iPhone forums. I wanted to show the iPhone'rs what they were going to get on Friday. I personally am excited and I can't wait. It's gonna be great. I've been playing around with 2.1 today and it's pretty nice.

Why aren't you just happy that this bug was fixed? iPod touch, iPhone... they're both running essentially the same software.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
More people read the iPhone forums. I wanted to show the iPhone'rs what they were going to get on Friday. I personally am excited and I can't wait. It's gonna be great. I've been playing around with 2.1 today and it's pretty nice.

Why aren't you just happy that this bug was fixed? iPod touch, iPhone... they're both running essentially the same software.
Oh, I'm thrilled about the bug fixes. I don't think each one deserves its own thread, though. Besides, if I want to read about apps running on an iPod touch, this "iPhone" forum is the LAST place I would check. Kind of defeats the purpose of organizing the boards into forums and sub-forums if people just post stuff wherever they feel they'll get the most thread views, doesn't it?

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008

I know. ;)

What's the point of having different forums if people just post things wherever they feel they'll get the most traffic? :mad:
haha got it! Sarcasm is so hard to catch on the internet!

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008

I know. ;)

Considering the iPhone and iPod Touch are all most identical software wise, and no one here really cares about the hardware differences; you just proved a good point that the mods should re-consider the iPhone/iPod touch separation. Thats like having an OS X forum for MacPros and a separate forum for OS X for iMac.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Considering the iPhone and iPod Touch are all most identical software wise, and no one here really cares about the hardware differences; you just proved a good point that the mods should re-consider the iPhone/iPod touch separation. Thats like having an OS X forum for MacPros and a separate forum for OS X for iMac.
What about a Mobile OS X Forum that is separate from the iPod touch and iPhone forum. I mean if you're gonna have just one app store forum instead of iPod touch apps and iPhone apps, then why have 2 devices on the forum. I figured iPhone users would like this news more since we have Internet everywhere.

I know a lot of people were waiting for this, well it's here. I'm spreading the news.

I understand that I could have simply just posted this fix inside the thread that is in the iPod touch forum, but then only iPod touch users would have seen it and there's a food chance that it would have just gotten looked over and lost on that long thread of people repeating the same things.

Jayden0606

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Bergen County, NJ
Spaz... thank you. I actually never check the Touch forums and this is something that is useful to me as I use AIM and have disliked this myself. This is not mentioned in the bug fixes.
:apple:

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Oh, I'm thrilled about the bug fixes. I don't think each one deserves its own thread, though. Besides, if I want to read about apps running on an iPod touch, this "iPhone" forum is the LAST place I would check.
Yeah me too. I mean, first I would obviously check the AppleTV forum. Then the iMac, eMac, Mac mini forum and next the 5,000,000 Post Contest forum and only then would I have a quick look in the iPhone forum (and yeah, I might not even check then, because the touch is nothing like the iPhone).

Kind of defeats the purpose of organizing the boards into forums and sub-forums if people just post stuff wherever they feel they'll get the most thread views, doesn't it?
Hilarious. Yeah I agree. I fully expect MacRumors to have nine separate forums for the new nanos. God help you if you post something in the Green Nano forum that properly belongs in the Orange Nano forum, just because you prefer green. I'll be watching, and if you do, I'll repeatedly post in that thread, just to show how annoyed I am.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I just thought iPhone users would be pretty happy about this news. It's just one more reason why I can't wait until Friday. Relax.

If I would have posted this news in the iPod touch forums, then the iPhone users would have been left in the dark... and if I posted it in both forums, then I'd have redundant threads. I opted for the more popular forum.

Besides, this isn't an iPod-specific feature, I'm talking about a Firmware 2.1 feature/bug fix.

Thanks for playing though.

FJR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah me too. I mean, first I would obviously check the AppleTV forum. Then the iMac, eMac, Mac mini forum and next the 5,000,000 Post Contest forum and only then would I have a quick look in the iPhone forum (and yeah, I might not even check then, because the touch is nothing like the iPhone).

Hilarious. Yeah I agree. I fully expect MacRumors to have nine separate forums for the new nanos. God help you if you post something in the Green Nano forum that properly belongs in the Orange Nano forum, just because you prefer green. I'll be watching, and if you do, I'll repeatedly post in that thread, just to show how annoyed I am.
Nice.