Great things about OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applefan69, Feb 15, 2008.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

As we all know there is things about OS X that you REALLY appreciate, and is one of the main reasons you love OS X. Then when your forced to use windows (or another OS) you REALLY miss that feature.

Some for me are:

Expose -- this in IMO is the #1 reason why OS X is great, expose is the greatest thing about OS X, it's so flightning fast, so responsive, so easily useful. I use expose like a million times are day, expecially with hot corners. Any who has problems with ahving lots of windows, i garuntee you, if you get into the habit of relying on expose you wont be able to go back.

Another thing, I dont know the name of this features but it's handy, the ability to highlight anything, and drag it into mostly anything. when using windows i miss this so much. I mean, I got a block of text i highliht it, then drag it into an MSN window... or I drag it to my desktop and OS X automatically makes a file for it. I just LOVE that convienence.

OS X is built as such a rock solid core, it can even make bad software seem good. Recently I was using a beta of some software, and at the time it was pretty bad software... BUT OS X still made it great, I mean even a simple application still has tons of features simply because OS X is that way.

I just love how simple OS X is, no matter what your doing theres an easy way to do it. If there isn't an easy way i cn bet ya you can download an applescript from the internet that will do it for you easily. Really... Apple has OS X to near perfection... now with leopard I can't think of anything this OS cant do that i'd want it to do.

2. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

Expose is the main reason I'm going to be completing the switch over to the Apple side of the bridge. I find I can get a lot more done on a Mac because of the little time saving practices that are easy to use.

3. himansk macrumors regular

I was working on 3D game development last night using boot camped XP, normally I use parallels but it doesnt allow xna studio to work. anyway, I kept hitting the expose/dashboard/spaces shortcuts every few minutes by habit, just cant work efficiently without these features nowadays.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Windows in OS X waste less space than windows in Windows because window borders are thinner. This is one of the biggest advantages in the OS X gui compared to the Windows gui. Vista made this even worse; I don't know whose idea it was for borders to take up so many pixels. It just makes space management a chore on small screens and/or low resolutions.

5. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I think I had to read that first sentence three times to get it. :D

But I do agree. Managing windows in XP and Vista was a pain in the butt. They feel chunky and get in the way of each other. I like how in Mac OS most applications simply don't have left and right borders. It may only be a quarter inch of real estate, but it's rather annoying.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Expose is great. I don't use the expose all windows versions of it that often, but the "expose desktop" feature I use all the time. I love Expose, and I can't imagine being without it anymore.

I love Spaces in Leopard. I know there are equivalents in other OS's like many Linux distros, and you can get the same functionality with free programs, and I even know some people prefer their implementation over Spaces, but that doesn't matter to me. I've tried a few other implementations, but Spaces is my favorite. When I have a ton of applications open and I need to switch between all of them at once, Spaces makes this even easier than before.

Keyboard shortcuts. I know every OS has them, but I find Mac shortcuts to be just so much more intuitive and generally more useful than Windows shortcuts. I never once used Windows shortcuts back when I had a PC, because they never made sense, but now I use them all the time in OS X and they make me so much more productive than before.

Drag and drop. I can drag and drop everything in, around, and across Cocoa applications, which I find very convenient.

Great applications. Everyone's worry when switching to OS X is the lack of programs for it. But that's just a myth. True, there will always be that one application that only has a Windows version, but you absolutely need it, because it's literally the only one that you can use to get the job done. But I love the plethora of applications for OS X, and there are so many great free ones. The quality of the programs out there for Mac by far outshines the quality of Windows programs.

There's also all those little things that make life so convenient. If you think "I wish my Mac could do this!" no matter how trivial it seems, chances are there's a little app out there that'll do it for you. I love that.

Those are the best things I can think of right now. Of course there's a lot more, but I could go on forever.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think you guys probably have other more important reasons of using OSX than expose, just havn't feel them yet.

Its not really convincing to relate the whole system to one function. Since you can get expose on most moden OSes, windows, or linux.

Not to mention Linux's Spaces/3D desktops are essentially better than OSX's.

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I love the dock, it's so convenient to have the applications I use the most right at my fingertips. I also love Quicklook in Leopard. I use it a lot with all of the powerpoint and word files I have. Spotlight is great when I need something real quick. I don't use it a whole lot, but it's always there. I just love OS X

9. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Your right other people have TRIED to imitate Expose... like microsoft did in vista. They tried to make a quick and easy windows access. But microsoft made a huge mistake and tried to make it look really nice with 3d effects... and well it really actually sucks, and is nowhere near as usable as expose.

Linux with expose? hmm, only linux distrib i've used extentively is Ubuntu 7, which i have installed in VMware fusion ATM, and i can't recall there being an expose like feature. What is the key command for it? Or how do i use it?

You may be right that we shouldn't be saying expose is #1 reason why OS X is great... but still, I really feel like expose deserves ALOT of credit cause it's half the reason why using a mac is so nice.

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

There are a million things that make OS X better than the Windows OS, most of which have already been mentioned (expose, spaces, dock, etc.), but one thing that's SO handy that most people forget about is Spotlight.

With Windows, to search for anything on your computer takes a really long time and all you ever really see is that roaming flashlight. But with spotlight, your search returns results instantaneously.

Now that's awesome, and under-appreciated.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, I was not talking about flip 3D, rather Im talking about this
    http://www.petefreitag.com/item/124.cfm
    [​IMG]
    there is no ubuntu 7. there is only 7.04 or 7.10, which one are you using? Once enable, you can access it by moving your mice cursor to upper right corner of the screen.

Compiz is already built-in in 7.10 (you might need to install the configuration manager since there are so many options in compiz-fusion), while compiz is not installed by default in 7.04.

If Expose is half of reason you like OSX, then maybe OSX isn't as great as you think.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

One reason I won't be switching away from OSX anytime soon is there is no replacement for QuickSilver on any other platform.

The little things are the best about OSX:
    -Dragging text or pictures from the Web to an app or the desktop
    -Two finger scrolling
    -The easy way to install and uninstall most apps
    -Quicklook is amazing

And so many more

13. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Oh yeah...I forgot about Quicklook...what a GREAT feature! :)

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I m always curious about this, other than being a launcher, what else do you find QS can do that is very nice?

15. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

im sorry I wasn't precise enough im using 7.10, and thanks for telling me how to use it, i'll give it a try next time i got ubuntu booted up.

"If Expose is half of reason you like OSX, then maybe OSX isn't as great as you think"

You have great logic there, but clearly that isn't the case. I wont argue your logic cause techniclly it pwned me, but there is alot more reasons why I like OS X, I just rely so heavily on this particular feature.

16. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I remember about a bit more then a year ago, steve was telling us all about Quicklook. I was thinking to myself.. "So... this means, its' like I have every file open all the time with this then?" I actually thought it was either A) impossible and steve had gone crazy... or B) used a CRAZY large amount of RAM, and would never be as usable as steve made it look.

But somehow they did it... and it works pretty damn well too.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I understand. Now, Let me comment on the subject.

What I like about OSX?
    compare to windows, It won with elegant design. but short on software availability, fortunately, I don't run many windows only app and I have a vista desktop for games

compare to linux, It won with business softwares, i.e. M$ Office, Adobe photoshop and illustrator which I need to run. It still won with elegant 2D design, but short on all the 3D UIs, customizability, and some personally important functions (like transcode real video etc).

It used to own linux on font rendering (which due to the greedy business monopoly of M$ and Apple on this issue), but since ubuntu 7.10, the font in Ubuntu got an unbelievable improvement.

18. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Great features (some are not Mac specific, but done particularly well in OS X)

Spring-loaded folders

Expose (both Windows and Desktop)

Dashboard

Menu-bar -- this is growing on me

BootCamp and Parallels make it risk-free switch

Time Machine

Fast User Switching

QuickLook

iLife

19. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Time Machine.
    Expose.
    Quicklook.
    The Cover-flow views.
    Dashboard.
    Front Row.
    It's UNIX.
    and it performs better than Windows! :)

20. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

The OS itself is nice, but the fanboys are horrible.

21. Greenbird600 macrumors member

Much, MUCH faster restart times then windows. Went from something like 2 minuets to 40 seconds.

22. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

That but importantly, shut downs don't take 3 minutes.

Sleep or shut down on my Mac is usually couple seconds or instant, perfect for when I hear my mom walking down the hall to see if my lights are on at night =D

-Exposé (also the ease of doing accented letters)
    -Simple and elegant design, one might argue that this is an opinion and that Vista is simple and elegant as well but to me, Mac OS X has simplicity and elegance and makes it work at the same time.
    -Not as system heavy, I don't need a heavy graphic card to run OS X, hell, Apple takes care of that anyways. Now I'm not trying to start a Windows vs Mac OS X argument here but was WinXP heavily reliant on system specs when it first came out compare to Tiger?
    -A lot of sweet freeware/shareware applications/add-ons for the OS X. You gotta love AdiumX, OnyX, Perian, etc. etc.
    -Awesome ass community, other OS as awesome community as well, esp Linux but Mac has its own... cult per se.
    -Widgets, Vista ****ed widgets up. It makes me look at them when I don't want to and it makes managing them a little 'annoying'
    -Stable and quick, it doesn't crash on me because of one application or program. It feels like apps are in their own isolated areas and if they crash, it's usually just the app and not the whole system unlike Windows where if something crashed, usually the system came down with it.
    -It's Apple ~nuff said

There's hella lot more but basically, Mac OS X makes my computing life or world, a LOT easier. If Windows or Linux can make my life easier then I'll switch but for now... Apple is awesome.

23. i.maverick macrumors regular

i.maverick

yea baby..

quicklook, cant live w.o it now.can.not.
    expose'
    applescript and automator workflows
    iLife
    better and more sensible keyboard shortcuts
    two finger scrolling
    some very cool and creative apps like skitch!!
    and ofcourse...no viruses
    :apple:

edit : n oh f***...how did i ever forget drag n drop!!
    n i c a lot or all of this has already been posted...lol..but there are just soo many things that i can add now...like the way i dont have to shut it down and wakes up before the lid is full open on my macbook...
    but still.. the best part remains the awe and niceties i see in peoples eyes when i show tem all this and how they end up shi**in vista!!
    lol..!!

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

for me, the biggest plus is it's UNIX and comes complete with things such as Apache, PHP, etc. Yes,I know Linux does too but I prefer the UI and the availability of commercial grade Apps on OS X

25. big duck macrumors member

Exposé is the main one for me too. I have bootcamp, and I'm using the mighty mouse and I press the buttons on the side and it just uses it to go back a page in a browser, exposé is damn useful But I never needed it with windows, because EVERYTHING is at the bottom all nicely, whereas it is harder to know what is open on a mac.

Also, if you were using firefox on a PC you could drag text into an MSN chat, I was well happy when I found that feature.

My other favourite feature is the speedy spotlight in leopard. It is quicker to search for an application or file than it is to find in even the most organised files. I always miss that when I'm on windows.