Great use of voice control. Post yours!

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
I upgraded from a 3G so voice control is a new experience since getting iPhone 4.

Here's my current favorite use of it.
When I'm working my iPhone is in my shirt pocket, faced in, speaker up.
I'm usually really busy and most of the times my hands are in use so I can't always take the phone out when I need to.
So mines a really simple one.
I'm really loving play and pause for iPod controls via voice command.
Pinch the home button with my thumb and forefinger, wait for the beep, give the command.
No need to remove the phone fRom the pocket.
And the volume -+buttons work well in this scenario as well.

That's mine I think it's great, really cool way to enjoy music while working.

Share your little gems about how voice command does something really cool for you in specific situations.

I would enjoy reading them and learning more about voice control and how you are enjoying it.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
People use front shirt pockets? :p

What you listed is the extent of voice control's function. I guess I like to show people I can ask my phone for the time once and a while...

Sometimes do change voice control's language and test out my different languages to see if it understands me. I can confirm that Chinese, French, Korean, and Italian all work well (and of course English).

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
People use front shirt pockets? :p

What you listed is the extent of voice control's function. I guess I like to show people I can ask my phone for the time once and a while...

Sometimes do change voice control's language and test out my different languages to see if it understands me. I can confirm that Chinese, French, Korean, and Italian all work well (and of course English).
Lol English doesn't work so well for me cretins times when I say play megadeth and it plays something else.

Ya shirt pocket while I'm working so I can hear the speaker best.
When I'm not working it's in my front pants/shorts pocket and in standby.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Although I find it extremely cool that I can tell my phone to play certain music, pause, skip, ask for the time etc., it seems much faster to just do it all manually.

w3iiipu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
i kinda hate the voice control...
i mainly use it to call someone....but since most of my contacts have weird names, asian names, long names etc, the voice control always call the wrong person :(

xMastemah

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
i kinda hate the voice control...
i mainly use it to call someone....but since most of my contacts have weird names, asian names, long names etc, the voice control always call the wrong person :(
You can set phonetic names if you edit the contact and press "add field."

I had particular trouble trying to get it to recognize my girlfriend's name -- Nguyen -- and I set the phonetic name to what it sounds like.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Lol English doesn't work so well for me cretins times when I say play megadeth and it plays something else.

Ya shirt pocket while I'm working so I can hear the speaker best.
When I'm not working it's in my front pants/shorts pocket and in standby.
i love megadeth

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I had particular trouble trying to get it to recognize my girlfriend's name -- Nguyen -- and I set the phonetic name to what it sounds like.
So, if you do this, voice control knows to use the phonetic name? I've had a he'll of a time getting it to understand easy names. Also, it says I have multiple options, but then I have no way to pick one.

xMastemah

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
So, if you do this, voice control knows to use the phonetic name? I've had a he'll of a time getting it to understand easy names. Also, it says I have multiple options, but then I have no way to pick one.
As far as I know, yes! :)

Are you referring to what it wants to call? 'Cause you'd just say "cell" or "home" or whatever. :confused:.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I use it daily for calling people. I ask the time sometimes, mainly as a novelty. I asked it which song was playing for fun today. I've never tried play/pause--something to do tomorrow. It ALWAYS messes up when I ask it to play a playlist, or song, or artist. Every time. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong since everything else is perfect, but whatever.

And I have contacts like "My Dad" and "My House" so I can say "Call my house" or "Call my dad's work" :D

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

How do you pronounce that name. Everyone tells me different things :confused:

Azure571

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I have dozens of friends with the Nguyen last name, but I've never heard it pronounced that way, ever, except for maybe the occasional inexperienced supply teacher. It is always pronounced "New-yin" or "New-wen"

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
I use it to make calls all the time while driving. I have to pronounce some of the names funny though. Like instead of saying "Leiser"(pronounced lee-zer) I have to say "liezer" lol. Ive gotten it down to a science, sort of.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I upgraded from a 3G so voice control is a new experience since getting iPhone 4.

Here's my current favorite use of it.
When I'm working my iPhone is in my shirt pocket, faced in, speaker up.
I'm usually really busy and most of the times my hands are in use so I can't always take the phone out when I need to.
So mines a really simple one.
I'm really loving play and pause for iPod controls via voice command.
Pinch the home button with my thumb and forefinger, wait for the beep, give the command.
No need to remove the phone fRom the pocket.
And the volume -+buttons work well in this scenario as well.

That's mine I think it's great, really cool way to enjoy music while working.

Share your little gems about how voice command does something really cool for you in specific situations.

I would enjoy reading them and learning more about voice control and how you are enjoying it.
You do know that you can press on the button of your remote to make it play/pause and skip to the next/previous songs, right?

That way you don't have to wait for the phone to activate voice control...

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I'm having mixed results.... when I go out I'll hold the button down on my earphones and say shuffle, phone comes back "calling <name>" lol

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan

Thanks for that. That's really handy to know. I'm a bit tired of trying to mimic the clumsy interpretations of foreign names in my address book.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Thanks for that. That's really handy to know. I'm a bit tired of trying to mimic the clumsy interpretations of foreign names in my address book.
I can only imagine what fantastic foreign names from all corners of the globe you'd have in your address book skunk :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.