Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
So recently I noticed there is a vertical green line on my iphone 13 mini. This is on the right side of it. Now normally I wipe my phone with clorox wipes whenever it is dirty and had no issue.

Previously I would use alcohol and tissue and put a tiny amount of alcohol to wipe the screen and everything. I recently used alcohol on a paper towel on it. Then a while later, that vertical green line appeared. Now it isn't always there. When I close it but not power it off, sometimes the green light would go away. Then a bit later it comes back on the screen. What wipes do people use on their phones when they want to screen the screen and everything? I have one of those clear cases with it where it covers the side of the iphone and the back so the front is exposed as I am not a fan of those cases that cover the whole iphone.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do here? Is it possible a recent IOS update caused this? I had this iphone 13 mini for almost 2 years or so and it worked fine during the whole time. Now I never buy insurance. But does this sound like alcohol got inside my iphone 13 mini that caused it? What should I do now? Should I power it off and power it on and maybe that would fix it? I rarely power off my iphone ever as rarely do I turn it fully off. Now what about putting it in white rice? Would that help? Now how much would it cost to fix this issue if I had to do that? So far when that vertical green line is there, it doesn't really obstruct the screen as it is thin.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Green lines are physically broken traces on the OLED panel. It's not software. It's extremely unlikely alcohol got inside the device unless you submerged the iPhone.

The only solution is to replace the display assembly for $200. If you live in China, there are $20k OLED laser repair tools that can repair the display.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Concerning wipes or alcohol I wouldn’t use either of those as it will likely wear out the oleophobic coating on the glass a lot quicker.

Reactions: one more

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Okay so a bit after this, the vertical green line got lighter and not as bright. Then a bit later, the green vertical line went away. However, a bit later, the green vertical line came back again and wasn't that bright. Then a while later, green vertical line went away. Then few days later, it has come back and it is very bright line.

I am close to positive this happened a bit after when I was wiping the iphone with it's case with a paper towel and a lot of alcohol and I am pretty sure alcohol went inside the charging port of it as I even went wiping the alcohol there. Is that most likely the cause?

But what was the reason for the green vertical line going away but then coming back and then going away but then coming back and now it's been a very bright green vertical line ever since? Is it possible to get any alcohol out of my iphone or you can't anymore? The thing is back then I always used alcohol to wipe my screen and the back of it but this time I used way too much. Other times I used clorox wipes and that never caused an issue on the screen so did using too much alcohol caused this? Is there anything I can do to try to fix it? Is the only way buy a $200 screen and then bring it to a shop where they probably charge $150 or so at least so it would cost $350 plus tax total to fix this?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The lines are due to partially connected traces on the display panel. Movement can affect it. It has nothing to do with alcohol. The Lightning port is not electronically or physically connected to the display.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The lines are due to partially connected traces on the display panel. Movement can affect it. It has nothing to do with alcohol. The Lightning port is not electronically or physically connected to the display.
^^^This^^^

The alcohol has nothing to do with it. It is all about a loose or poor made connection at the edge of the display. There are thousands of connections that have to be made, miss one or do it poorly and a whole line of pixels will not work properly.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Concerning wipes or alcohol I wouldn’t use either of those as it will likely wear out the oleophobic coating on the glass a lot quicker.
Apple actually says it's ok to use 70% isopropyl wipes to clean your iPhone.. It may have an effect on the coating but the coating also isn't a permanent feature and wears off in normal day to day use anyway.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023

How sure are you on this? I was wiping my iphone with a papel towel where I poured a ton of alcohol on it. Then I went to wipe my phone in every area... including the charging port so there is a very good chance alcohol went inside it. So you are saying that wouldn't cause this to happen? I read online water or alcohol assuming it is a lot of it... could cause this? The thing is I never dropped my phone. This happened a bit after getting lot of alcohol on the iphone.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
^^^This^^^

The alcohol has nothing to do with it. It is all about a loose or poor made connection at the edge of the display. There are thousands of connections that have to be made, miss one or do it poorly and a whole line of pixels will not work properly.
So what exactly caused this then? It happened a bit after I got lot of alcohol on the iphone. So you are saying if I were to put an iphone into a bucket full of alcohol and take it out a bit later, this still wouldn't do this to the screen?

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Apple actually says it's ok to use 70% isopropyl wipes to clean your iPhone.. It may have an effect on the coating but the coating also isn't a permanent feature and wears off in normal day to day use anyway.
I have used alcohol many times to clean my iphone screen. The issue this time is I used way too much and alcohol definitely got inside my charging port because I was cleaning that area as well. So alcohol inside the charging port wouldn't cause this?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have used alcohol many times to clean my iphone screen. The issue this time is I used way too much and alcohol definitely got inside my charging port because I was cleaning that area as well. So alcohol inside the charging port wouldn't cause this?
Although 70% isopropyl alcohol has water in it , it will evaporate fairly quickly so I doubt it would cause the issue you're describing.. 91/99% would evaporate immediately, not sure what you used. I'd say you need a display replacement

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Well if say you put your iphone in a bucket full of 70% alcohol and then take it out, wouldn't that cause damage then? I am talking about imagine a lot of alcohol.

I bought this iphone few years ago so the warranty is no more. Now, how much would it cost to get a replacement screen? And how much would be the cost to get it fixed? I read the screen itself is $200? Then it would cost another $150 for a repair shop to fix it? So it would be like $370 total or so?

The other thing is will the screen get worst though? Or is it possible the green vertical line just stays like this? The thing is it is on the right side of the iphone so it isn't blocking like the whole screen. Also why did the green vertical line got less dim and went away two times before coming back then? Again I never dropped the phone and I heard if you drop the phone, you can get the green vertical line. So I thought the only culprit was having too much alcohol on the iphone when cleaning it. Just imagine you pouring a ton of alcohol on a paper towel and then wiping your iphone including the charging port area where the alcohol for sure went inside the charging port.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
So what exactly caused this then? It happened a bit after I got lot of alcohol on the iphone. So you are saying if I were to put an iphone into a bucket full of alcohol and take it out a bit later, this still wouldn't do this to the screen?

‘It is caused by a lose or poor connection electrical to the screen. It has nothing to do with the alcohol. As it changes with time, just squeezing the phone could change the line’s characteristics.

i would have to weight seriously if I wanted to put $350 in repairs in a mini.

Mistletoe66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
So recently I noticed there is a vertical green line on my iphone 13 mini. This is on the right side of it. Now normally I wipe my phone with clorox wipes whenever it is dirty and had no issue.

Previously I would use alcohol and tissue and put a tiny amount of alcohol to wipe the screen and everything. I recently used alcohol on a paper towel on it. Then a while later, that vertical green line appeared. Now it isn't always there. When I close it but not power it off, sometimes the green light would go away. Then a bit later it comes back on the screen. What wipes do people use on their phones when they want to screen the screen and everything? I have one of those clear cases with it where it covers the side of the iphone and the back so the front is exposed as I am not a fan of those cases that cover the whole iphone.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do here? Is it possible a recent IOS update caused this? I had this iphone 13 mini for almost 2 years or so and it worked fine during the whole time. Now I never buy insurance. But does this sound like alcohol got inside my iphone 13 mini that caused it? What should I do now? Should I power it off and power it on and maybe that would fix it? I rarely power off my iphone ever as rarely do I turn it fully off. Now what about putting it in white rice? Would that help? Now how much would it cost to fix this issue if I had to do that? So far when that vertical green line is there, it doesn't really obstruct the screen as it is thin.
Dear OP, I also got a green vertical line on my 11 pro 64gb. It happened sometime around September, I did not drop my phone nor nada, pristine condition since day 1 with case, tempered glass and care.

I was using using my phone as per usual, pressed power button to sleep and place it away, and then to my SURPRISE, when I press the power button to wake it, a sudden green line spawned.

Went to apple store and the lead genius told me there's nothing they can do, other than quoting me $400 plus for the lcd replacement. I am really surprised by Apple's poor customer service, plus upon learning that my iphone is an old model, the genius probably gave zero f*cks about my case.

I would gladly share further details if anyone is interested . Here are some of the poctures. Anyway it went from 1 thin line to 4 lines , multiple thick lines, and eventually back to 1 line. It was still functional but freezes occasionally , restarts a d shows the apple logo , and then back to main screen again

Attachments

• 20230929_151139.jpg
    20230929_151139.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230929_171044.jpg
    20230929_171044.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 135

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Wow $400 for a screen replacement on an 11P seems high, since right now an Apple refurb 12P is $589

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Wow $400 for a screen replacement on an 11P seems high, since right now an Apple refurb 12P is $589

It is high assuming that's USD, a screen replacement on an 11 Pro is $279 and $329 on a Pro Max, so I suspect OP maybe embellishing or their phone needs more than a screen.

EDIT: I see their phone is also flagging that the battery needs service.

Reactions: Andeddu

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
The picture you posted of your iphone 11 pro with the green vertical line, that is how my line looks as well except it is a bit to the right. The green vertical line you have is in the middle/right. So if the line was farther left or right, it wouldn't annoy as much right?

How long have you had the iphone 11 before the green vertical line showed up? How long have you been using it with the vertical line?

For me, it was a thin green vertical line. Then it was a large green vertical line. Then it was a very light green vertical line. Then it went away. Then it came back a very light green vertical line. Then a thin green vertical line. Then it went away. Then it came back with a large green vertical line.

So noone here had this happen due to having their iphone cleaned or wiped with too much alcohol? So it isn't possible for alcohol to cause this? I don't think this is true. I mean if you were to put an iphone into a small bucket with alcohol and put it there for few minutes and then take it out, this wouldn't happen?

You say it would cost $400 to repair the screen on your iphone 11. So you not going to bother right? So you just going to continue using it like it is? So as long as it isn't worst, you are okay with it? For me with the iphone 13 mini, is the cost going to be $200 plus tax for screen so $220... then another $150 to repair it so it will cost at least $370?

My other question is this. If you bought the apple warranty... how much does that cost a year? Then they would fix this issue? But what if they check and then they say, hey you got lot of alcohol in it... would it be repaired under the warranty? I check that with an iphone 13, warranty is $149 for 2 years? That doesn't include tax right? So it would be around $165 for 2 years? But if at any time during those 2 years something like this happens, then the warranty pays itself?

Is there a way to find out the cause of this? If I go to apple store or repair shop, can they open it up and tell me the exact cause like it's the screen itself or it's alcohol? Again I really believe too much alcohol got inside my iphone charging port that caused it... but nobody here thinks this?

Mistletoe66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
The picture you posted of your iphone 11 pro with the green vertical line, that is how my line looks as well except it is a bit to the right. The green vertical line you have is in the middle/right. So if the line was farther left or right, it wouldn't annoy as much right?

How long have you had the iphone 11 before the green vertical line showed up? How long have you been using it with the vertical line?

For me, it was a thin green vertical line. Then it was a large green vertical line. Then it was a very light green vertical line. Then it went away. Then it came back a very light green vertical line. Then a thin green vertical line. Then it went away. Then it came back with a large green vertical line.

So noone here had this happen due to having their iphone cleaned or wiped with too much alcohol? So it isn't possible for alcohol to cause this? I don't think this is true. I mean if you were to put an iphone into a small bucket with alcohol and put it there for few minutes and then take it out, this wouldn't happen?

You say it would cost $400 to repair the screen on your iphone 11. So you not going to bother right? So you just going to continue using it like it is? So as long as it isn't worst, you are okay with it? For me with the iphone 13 mini, is the cost going to be $200 plus tax for screen so $220... then another $150 to repair it so it will cost at least $370?

My other question is this. If you bought the apple warranty... how much does that cost a year? Then they would fix this issue? But what if they check and then they say, hey you got lot of alcohol in it... would it be repaired under the warranty? I check that with an iphone 13, warranty is $149 for 2 years? That doesn't include tax right? So it would be around $165 for 2 years? But if at any time during those 2 years something like this happens, then the warranty pays itself?

Is there a way to find out the cause of this? If I go to apple store or repair shop, can they open it up and tell me the exact cause like it's the screen itself or it's alcohol? Again I really believe too much alcohol got inside my iphone charging port that caused it... but nobody here thinks this?
I was using it as per normal and the line just appeared out of nowhere. It’s been 2 years 10 months of usage.

Do u have a authorised apple repair shop that uses genuine apple batteries or A grade lcd/led screens ?

I was able to get lcd and battery replacement. Now it is as good as new, battery time of estimated 7.5 hours of continuous on screen usage.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Okay so how long did you continue to use the iphone 11 with the green vertical line before you went and got a replacement screen? And how much did the screen and repair cost? So that place you went to replaced it and fixed it? How long did it take? You in the US by any chance?

I'm not sure what you mean by authorized apple repair shop? Are these those phone repair shops you find on yelp or you mean something else? You don't mean the apple store right?

My battery still is around 93% and it's been close to 2 years. So I don't think I need a battery replacement? Well you have an LCD screen but isn't the iphone 13 mini LED screen?

Mistletoe66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
Okay so how long did you continue to use the iphone 11 with the green vertical line before you went and got a replacement screen? And how much did the screen and repair cost? So that place you went to replaced it and fixed it? How long did it take? You in the US by any chance?

I'm not sure what you mean by authorized apple repair shop? Are these those phone repair shops you find on yelp or you mean something else? You don't mean the apple store right?

My battery still is around 93% and it's been close to 2 years. So I don't think I need a battery replacement? Well you have an LCD screen but isn't the iphone 13 mini LED screen?
Then you could just get a screen replacement. Yes I know about oled. Ultimately it is lcd with OLED backlight, this is true for all apple phones, anyone can correct me if I am wrong. Just find a phone repair store that repairs iPhone and has good reviews to back them up. The lcd replacement should not cost more than $150, it should be similar grade material but NOT original lcd/led. That would cost you $400+

Edit: it took around 2-3 hours for on-site replacement, it’s fast . It used “A” grade lcd for replacement.

And I replaced it after 2-3 weeks of observing the green line

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s impossible for alcohol to damage your phone, just they don’t think so in this case. I certainly wouldn’t be pouring alcohol on any of my devices let alone throwing them in a bucket of the stuff though. Alcohol is reasonably good at softening or dissolving some adhesives so maybe it’s possible that over time it could compromise the seal between your screen and phone.

I’m not sure why you’re using so much alcohol to clean your phone anyway. I clean my phone regulary, take it out of the case and wipe it down with a clean very lightly damp cloth. Phones looks brand new.

The green lines though I have seen many times on screens, I’ve had a TV fail in the same way and no alcohol was used on that. Like has been said it’s caused by a broken or bad connection to the screen, unfortunately 1 bad connection tends to take out a whole row of pixels and there’s no option but to replace. The main cause usually is flexing of the screen, phones tend to live in pockets a lot of the time, sitting down etc puts pressure on the screen and unfortunately sometimes that results in the screen eventually failing like yours.

Thinking about it I had a laptop screen once do the same thing right where the hinges were, obviously opening a closing the lid caused the screen to flex slightly in the hinge area and eventually fail the same way.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Then you could just get a screen replacement. Yes I know about oled. Ultimately it is lcd with OLED backlight, this is true for all apple phones, anyone can correct me if I am wrong. Just find a phone repair store that repairs iPhone and has good reviews to back them up. The lcd replacement should not cost more than $150, it should be similar grade material but NOT original lcd/led. That would cost you $400+

Edit: it took around 2-3 hours for on-site replacement, it’s fast . It used “A” grade lcd for replacement.

And I replaced it after 2-3 weeks of observing the green line
Where are you located by the way? Are you in the US or in another country? So you went to a local repair shop and had them replace your iphone 11 screen and it cost you how much? So you left it with the repair shop and after few hours, they replaced the screen and everything was good? I checked online and the iphone 11 has an LCD screen originally so apple recommended to replace your original LCD screen with an OLED screen which cost a lot more?

I ask this because I know iphone 13 mini uses OLED screen. But isn't using an LCD screen not good though for an iphone 13 mini since it has an OLED screen? From checking online, iphone 13 mini OLED screen retail is $200 plus tax.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s impossible for alcohol to damage your phone, just they don’t think so in this case. I certainly wouldn’t be pouring alcohol on any of my devices let alone throwing them in a bucket of the stuff though. Alcohol is reasonably good at softening or dissolving some adhesives so maybe it’s possible that over time it could compromise the seal between your screen and phone.

I’m not sure why you’re using so much alcohol to clean your phone anyway. I clean my phone regulary, take it out of the case and wipe it down with a clean very lightly damp cloth. Phones looks brand new.

The green lines though I have seen many times on screens, I’ve had a TV fail in the same way and no alcohol was used on that. Like has been said it’s caused by a broken or bad connection to the screen, unfortunately 1 bad connection tends to take out a whole row of pixels and there’s no option but to replace. The main cause usually is flexing of the screen, phones tend to live in pockets a lot of the time, sitting down etc puts pressure on the screen and unfortunately sometimes that results in the screen eventually failing like yours.

Thinking about it I had a laptop screen once do the same thing right where the hinges were, obviously opening a closing the lid caused the screen to flex slightly in the hinge area and eventually fail the same way.
Well normally I would pour a tiny bit of alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it but several times I poured too much. So the paper towel is very wet with alcohol and then I just wipe the iphone with it... by that I mean everywhere... the screen, the back, the sides and even the bottom area where the charging port is... which is why I think this happened.

So just recently... the bright green vertical line went away for a few minutes. I then put it in my pocket and then when I went to use my phone, the bright green vertical line came back.

So what are my options now? Can a repair shop look at it and tell me what is the actual cause of it? Could they tell if it's the charging port or could they check if there is lot of alcohol inside the phone? The other thing is will the bright vertical green light get worst or it's possible it just stays like that? The bright green vertical line I have looks very similar to what the other poster posted in the picture except it is a bit farther to the right of the screen.

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Well normally I would pour a tiny bit of alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it but several times I poured too much. So the paper towel is very wet with alcohol and then I just wipe the iphone with it... by that I mean everywhere... the screen, the back, the sides and even the bottom area where the charging port is... which is why I think this happened.

So just recently... the bright green vertical line went away for a few minutes. I then put it in my pocket and then when I went to use my phone, the bright green vertical line came back.

So what are my options now? Can a repair shop look at it and tell me what is the actual cause of it? Could they tell if it's the charging port or could they check if there is lot of alcohol inside the phone? The other thing is will the bright vertical green light get worst or it's possible it just stays like that? The bright green vertical line I have looks very similar to what the other poster posted in the picture except it is a bit farther to the right of the screen.

You need a screen replacement. Who knows what the actual cause is but you put it in your pocket and it was fine and then you took it out and the green line was back, this type of fault usually happens when the screen is flexed or has pressure applied, it’s a loose connection to the screen but unfortunately too small to repair. Sometimes they get worse, sometimes they don’t.

there won’t be any alcohol inside the phone, even if some did get in it’ll have evaporated by now, I use alcohol to clean PCB boards, it’s a good cleaner, removes thermal paste, grease etc and evaporates without leaving residue very quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.