Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
OP will blame alcohol and the Lightning port even 10 years from today. LOL.

Please. Just look at an iPhone teardown video. The Lightning port connector is sealed. Liquids cannot enter even if that port is flooded. That’s why iPhone is water resistant.

Your display is busted because of a manufacturing defect, cumulative physical impacts, or bad luck. Choose any combination from the above. It cannot be easily repaired. It will not heal itself. It may get worse.

Last edited:

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
So several times already the green light went away and came back. This is I think the 7th time this has happened and recently the vertical green light went very light but now there is no vertical green light anymore. Does this mean no need to replace the screen?

Also can you continue to use it even if there is a green vertical line or does it get worst? Also, any issue using wet ones wipes on the screen? What about walfort wipes? I want to avoid alcohol with it from now on but I assume alcohol wiping pads would work because there is little alcohol right?

Also what about buying those iPhone disinfect sanitizers? But would those disinfect cables as well? Imagine a charging cable and it feels on a very nasty floor.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
So the green vertical line came back again but it was very light green. Then a bit later it went away. This has happened so many times already and I believe time it was after I used some wipes on it. But people here say any wipes whether alcohol wipes or any wipes can't cause this?
'

But the other times the green vertical line seem to come back is when I put it in my jeans pocket and I believe I have something over it such as my wallet.

Could that mean the wallet is putting pressure on the phone if you have it carry the phone in your jeans cause this?

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Okay so a light green vertical line is always there now ever since. But sometimes the green vertical line gets very bright.

Then there is another issue. The top right corner of the iphone... when you power on the iphone or click on it when it's off... it would turn green like a glitch? It happens every single time now.

Then just recently, my iphone screen went green. You could barely check on you are clicking on because the screen is green. It then kept on flashing green over and over. Then after a while, it isn't like that for a bit but then will go back to that. Does this mean the screen is faulty and has to be replaced? I didn't mind that green vertical line that was there originally but now the screen flashes green like it's the green hulk. So going to apple store and having them replace the screen is the best option? How much does that cost and how long does that take? What about ordering the screen on ifixit and bringing it to repairshop and have a repair shop fix it? Or that is not a good idea?

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Had this phone for over 2 years. Many months ago, I got a green vertical line on the ride side of the screen. It would then disappear but then reappear many times. After a while, there is 2 very light vertical green lines on the right side of the screen but it isn't that noticeable. I usually take a paper towel and some alcohol and wipe my screen whenever it is dirty but the thing was I used way too much alcohol. Someone said it's not possible for alcohol to damage the screen? I don't think that is true because I am sure I got alcohol inside many of the ports on the iphone 13 mini?

Recently, my iphone screen had a flashing green screen. I think at one point, it was about 30 minutes where the screen was like that where it didn't flash but just had a green screen. So basically it was not possible to use the screen though I tried my best to click on settings and do things like that. The first thing I did was set up a passcode on my iphone because I rarely have that on. However, I typically have passcode off whenever using it in the apartment. I normally only have it on when outside. I thought at this time, I should have it turned on because if I bring the iphone to apple repair shop or any repair shop, you want the passcode on right since you don't want the technician to have access to your things like email and banking apps etc?

At the moment, I'm not in the US so I can't go to an apple store. I don't have applecare either. But if you have this flashing green screen, you have to get the screen replaced right? The thing is the flashing green screen shows up occasionally... it might stay there and not flash but green screen for a minute or so but then go back to regular screen before it starts flashing again. I notice it seems to do that more when the phone gets hot? Now should I keep a passcode on at all times or not? The thing is when inside, I have to use my iphone a lot so I do not want to keep having to enter the passcode. But the risk here is if the screen is always green and doesn't go back to a regular screen where I could at least go to my settings and set up a passcode, then I risk bringing it to apple and having it with no passcode?

The other thing is should I update to the newest IOS? I am using an older version of it but should I update IOS?

Should I power off the phone and turn it back on and maybe that would make the green screen issue happen less? The thing is I am outside the US but will go back to the US sometime soon. Now how much is the total cost to have the screen fixed at apple? So when you go there, they will examine it and tell you 100% what is the cause right? And this is most likely a screen issue? How much is total cost including tax? The other thing is what about the turnaround time? How long does it take before you can go back to apple store and pick it up? Could you have them send it to your apartment as well? So when you pick up the phone, well you would enter your passcode and then all your information will still be like normal right? That is assuming you made sure you have a passcode turned on before you bring it there? If your screen is just green and you don't have passcode on, is there a way you can view the screen to turn on passcode before you give the iphone to apple store or that isn't possible? Last thing you want is give them a phone to fix or replace and no passcode when you have banking apps and email apps on right? What about buying it on ifixit? However, you bringing it to repair shop would cost you more than having apple do it right? I cannot repair a screen myself.

Does it make sense to buy a new phone or just replace the screen? I remember I paid over $800 at least for this iphone 13 mini a few years ago. The battery is like 85%. So should I get a battery replaced as well? Should I buy a new iphone? I prefer the smaller iphone 13 mini size. I know there is that iphone SE but the only thing with that is I heard the battery isn't that good? I want a phone with a good amount of battery especially when on 3g or 4g or 5g data and tethering to laptop. I don't want to spend $1000 on a new iphone. I had wanted to use this iphone 13 mini for many years but now the screen has these issues.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I don't know about the rest of it, but drenching a phone in that manner isn't anything I've ever seen recommended.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Yes I know I shouldn't have done where you put a lot of alcohol on a paper towel and drench it on the iphone. I did that a while back though. Someone said doing that won't damage an iphone screen... that has to be false right? They said alcohol can't get in the iphone.

After a lot of alcohol on the iphone, is when the green vertical line showed up. The bigger issue now though is the flashing green screen.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
When phones need repair they use isopropyl alcohol to clean parts. They use 99% not 70% because it evaporates quicker but unless you poured the alcohol all over the phone, the screen wasn't damaged by using it the way you described. The screen was either damaged by a drop or just dumb luck. Regardless, getting the screen replaced will fix it

Reactions: Tenashus1

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
See about getting the screen fixed and you will be good to go. I have two Mini 13s which will enable me to stay off the Apple merry go round for a good while I think. We'll see. Do what you can to restore your phone. The 13 Minis are not easy to come by. Best wishes.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Yes I know I shouldn't have done where you put a lot of alcohol on a paper towel and drench it on the iphone. I did that a while back though. Someone said doing that won't damage an iphone screen... that has to be false right? They said alcohol can't get in the iphone.

After a lot of alcohol on the iphone, is when the green vertical line showed up. The bigger issue now though is the flashing green screen.

It seems to me that you are still haunted by alcohol.
Assuming you were correct. Alcohol caused the green strip on your phone.
Then what are you gonna do about it?
I supposed you have been using the stripped iphone since Nov 2023.
If you are fine with it for several months, probably you are fine with it for a more couple months until purchasing a new phone.

My story:
I purchased a second hand iphone 11prm from a small store in my neighborhood. The store owner set a 3 month warranty for it.
One month later, I got the green strip.
I took the phone back to the store for a check. Store owner said that the screen was defective due to user error (cumulative physical impact or something). At first, he offered a share cost plan (50/50) to replace the screen with another original screen (salvaged from iPhone 11prm), but after some exchanges, we settled down to the solution that he would replace it with a new OEM screen for free, just for this time, as the iPhone screen is not covered in his warranty. (He forgot to tell me that at purchase, so the cost was on him this time)
He also talked to me that even if I had purchased the iPhone brand new, sealed in box from an authorized dealer, Apple would still have refused to fix the screen issue, deeming it as "user errors". (This may only be applied to VN, not for other countries)

I also asked him if I had to bring the phone to him again for screen defective, how much he would charge me to replace the OEM screen. The answer was 50$.

For you, if you want to repair your phone, I suggest you look for a repair shop in the neighborhood where you are now, rather than waiting until you are back to the US. Probably you can find a better deal.

Or better yet, find another refurbished iphone 13mini and save yourself the cost of repairing. (Second hand 13 mini are offered by the shops here in HCMC at the price 350$, 6-month warranty, screen is exclusive)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I had the green line on my mini. Apple said it’s because of a drop (which it was) repair cost 280€

A few weeks later in holiday a small repair shop did it for less with a „oem refurbished“ . But now auto brightness doesn’t work. Damn

• Sad
Reactions: Andeddu and kitKAC

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I only dropped the iphone 13 mini once but that was after there was already a green vertical line that was there. Again, I had poured a ton of alcohol on the iphone screen when cleaning it. That would damage the screen correct or not?

So the best option is go to apple store in the US and have them replace the screen? How much is the cost total and how long would it take to receive the phone back? Do you have to go back to that store physically to get the phone or could they ship it to so you don't have to go there twice? I want to know from people who done this.

• Haha
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I only dropped the iphone 13 mini once but that was after there was already a green vertical line that was there. Again, I had poured a ton of alcohol on the iphone screen when cleaning it. That would damage the screen correct or not?

So the best option is go to apple store in the US and have them replace the screen? How much is the cost total and how long would it take to receive the phone back? Do you have to go back to that store physically to get the phone or could they ship it to so you don't have to go there twice? I want to know from people who done this.
I think the alcohol theory u mentioned enough times.

The price u find on apples website. But will be similar to EU. So not really worth it. A used unit u can find for the same price.

You have to make an appointment and they to the swap in 1-2hours.

Or you send it in

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
If I post pictures of it, would people have any advice to this? The issue now is the green screen is there most of the time now. I can barely use it at all as the whole screen is like a green screen.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What are we going to do with a photo? It's like taking a photo of broken glass and asking for advice.

We already told you 6 months ago it may get worse. We told you the solution on the first reply. There is no magic alternative. Get the display replaced. Go to an Apple Store for details.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
well putting it into rice won't help;-)

so you either let it getting repaired or you buy a new one. no other solution.

and pouring any liquids over electronics I would also avoid in the future

Reactions: JPack

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If I post pictures of it, would people have any advice to this? The issue now is the green screen is there most of the time now. I can barely use it at all as the whole screen is like a green screen.
You said previously that you kept your iPhone and wallet in the same pocket. Doing so could cause the iPhone to flex damaging the board. That’s why the #1 cause of a solid vertical line appearing on someone’s phone is either a drop or culminative flexing over a period of time.

I don’t think alcohol caused the damage as your phone is IP68 rated rendering it waterproof. I used to fully submerge my iPhone 8, which is only IP67 rated, in water each week to clean it and it never had any issues.

Reactions: JPack

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Well how do you disinfect your iphone then if you don't use alcohol or wipes on it?

So you are suppose to put your iphone in a pocket that has nothing in it? So no wallet or anything else in it?

Would the apple store be able to tell if it's most likely from lot of alcohol on the screen that caused it though? Last time I used a paper towel and put ton of alcohol all over it... imagine smearing so much of it over the screen. Then a bit after that, I had the vertical green line. Then it went away and then came back many times. Now there is a bright vertical green line right in the middle of the screen. The bigger issue is the screen is green as well and flashes green as well. What is the cause of that then? It's literally like a green screen.

So to those who went to apple store in US to replace the screen, how much did it cost total?

Did you go and get it back hours later? You make sure you have a passcode on it before you give your phone to the technician at the apple store?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Well how do you disinfect your iphone then if you don't use alcohol or wipes on it?

So you are suppose to put your iphone in a pocket that has nothing in it? So no wallet or anything else in it?

Would the apple store be able to tell if it's most likely from lot of alcohol on the screen that caused it though? Last time I used a paper towel and put ton of alcohol all over it... imagine smearing so much of it over the screen. Then a bit after that, I had the vertical green line. Then it went away and then came back many times. Now there is a bright vertical green line right in the middle of the screen. The bigger issue is the screen is green as well and flashes green as well. What is the cause of that then? It's literally like a green screen.

So to those who went to apple store in US to replace the screen, how much did it cost total?

Did you go and get it back hours later? You make sure you have a passcode on it before you give your phone to the technician at the apple store?

I clean my phone by using a slightly damp face cloth. I use it to clean almost all of my electronics prior to using a micro fibre cloth to dry them.

Do not place anything else in your pocket with your phone. Doing so could cause pressure resulting in your device bending slightly which could cause damage to the components.

I think it will cost you approximately $300 for an OEM screen replacement by Apple. The screen replacement should take 1-2 hours and you DO NOT have to give the Apple genius your passcode for the repair.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
if you really think you need to disinfect a phone: you put the alcohol on the cloth and not directly on the phone. there is no water resistance of the phone anymore cos alcohol or any other cleaner reduce the water surface tension.

regarding repair I already gave you the info.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I have to replace the screen on my iphone mini 13 due to it having green vertical lines and now a white vertical line. Anyone here had this issue? This phone is over 2 years old and I have no applecare.

The battery is about 86% but I feel the battery is fine though. What is the best way to get an iphone mini 13 screen replacement in the US? Do you just go to an apple store and ask them to do it or do you set up an appointment before you go? How much would it cost for them to replace the iphone mini 13 screen total including tax? You get back the iphone usually the same day in few hours as well? Now if you want them to change the battery, it is $90 plus tax so $100 total? The best thing to do is go to an apple store physically so the genius could tell you what is most likely the cause of it? Such that they would say screen replacement as oppose to you shipping it to Apple which could cause more problems and cost more?

Has anyone here recently got a screen replacement for the iphone 13 mini can tell me how it was at the apple store as in the whole process? How much total did you pay for it? It makes no sense to order the screen from a site like ifixit and get a genuine screen right since if you go to a 3rd party repair shop and have them replace the screen, all that would cost you more than doing it at the apple store? It would only make sense to buy a screen from that site if you know how to replace the screen yourself right which most people would have no idea how to do or mess it up somehow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.