GreenPois0n JB problem:

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Last night, I upgraded to 4.1 preserving my baseband w/ TinyUmbrella - no problems.

I downloaded Greenpois0n, and proceeded through the JB steps. I received no error messages, however, the JB obviously did not work (I do not have Loader/Cydia on my springboard, and I do not have the tell-tale pixels when booting the device). Again, I saw no error messages, etc. Any clues as to what the issue is? I've read up on a few issues w/ Greenpois0n and Limera1n, but this is news to me.

The only possible issue that I can see it that I simply clicked on GP to launch it, rather than right click -> run as administrator. That seems like a long shot as the rest of the process went as it should have...

Any work-arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

With limera1n and I assume GP, you will not see the tell-tale pixels. The tell-tale pixels were associated with jailbreakme,com.

3. gnychis macrumors 6502

if you used greenpois0n, did you see the long stage of scrolling text on your iphone like you were in a terminal? If you didn't get this far, try again. I didn't get to this stage my first time, tried again, then it worked

4. gnychis macrumors 6502

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

With Greenpois0n I don't think you see dots on the top when respringing. I don't see them anyway and my jailbreak seems to be working.

Did you see a long list of test while the JB was occurring? If not it probably failed.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The pixel thing was specific to star and is not the normal sign of JB in general. The only thing you can try is running it again.

7. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Good to know concerning the pixels at the top of the loading screen...

I definitely did not see a list of text/code on the phone screen while attempting the JB... I tried the process twice - I really don't see what I can do differently to make it work. Should I delete/reinstall GP? Has anyone had this issue and overcome it successfully?

Thanks for all of the help/quick replies!

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

9. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

This might be bad, but I have no idea what you're asking... The googles have failed me...

I'm running this on a PC w/ Windows 7.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Did you put the phone into dfu mode? That step was a bit tricky for me and it took me a few times before I actually got it to work.

11. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I'm pretty certain I did - I followed the steps, and it seemed straightforward enough. How would I know if this did not take place correctly? Would there be an error message of some sort?

I almost wish I had received som sort of error message - at least that way I might be able to narrow potential problems down a bit (I feel even more noobish than I am just posting a vague "HALP!!!1!!1!!" thread, lol).

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If you are in DFU the phones screen should be black and the computer should have detected it.

13. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

The divice needs to be off, correct? Maybe this is where I'm running into an issue after all...

I power the device off, per the instructions. When I connect to the PC via USB, it is automatically turning the device back on. I tried the JB once after the device powered on again (automatically), and I also tried it after turning the divice off manually after it was automatically turned on upon connecting to the PC. Do both of these methods of getting the device into DFU mode sound incorrect to you guys?

Edit: The only thing that I don't think I've tried is turning the device off and entering DFU mode BEFORE connecting to the PC via USB...

14. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Off? Not for DFU mode...

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

GP directs you how to put your phone into DFU. It's not just turn your phone off, plug it in and click a button. Try following the directions it gives you.

Edit: Your not following the directions. Turn it off, plug it in, click the prepare to jailbreak (DFU) and follow the directions.

Clicky This isn't a click it and forget it JB it require your involvement to work. Follow the guide.

16. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Understood. But as I recall, GP directs you to power off the divice, then connect it via USB. When this is done, the device powers itself on automatically. Once that is complete, I follow the prompts in GP to get the phone into DFU mode (which does not seem to be happening). Is that order of operations not correct?

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It shouldn't be powering up when you plug it in, if it does turn it back off. Click the button in GP and follow directions. It should be detected that it's connected in recovery and the screen on the phone should be blank. DFU can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

Edit: how are you turning it off? The slide to power off?

18. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

That must be my issue, then. The device is consistantly powering itslef on when connected to the PC via USB after I've powered it off. I'll try turning it off again and getting into DFU mode. Should iTunes be closed for this process (I've read that on some instructions), or open as indicated at the link above (I ask because the link above mentioned DFU mode for restore purposes, but want to be sure DFU when jailbreaking didn't affect whether iTunes should be open or not)?

I think I'm slowly narrowing the issue down - thanks for all of your help.

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You are correct - GP does direct you to power it off but it does turn back on automatically when you plug it in via usb. Maybe try turning it off once you have it plugged in and then follow the GP prompts of pressing the sleep button for 2 seconds, etc. The biggest thing is to make sure that the screen goes black rather than the "connect your phone to itunes screen". I kept getting the latter and you need the screen to go black before it will work.

20. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Gotchya. I was definitely getting the "iTunes" prompt. I'll try again ensuring that the power is off & DFU mode (i.e. balck screen) is achieved bofore proceeding with GP JB. Thanks again to everyone for your help! I'll keep you posted as to whether or not I succeed tonight!

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Powered off and DFU aren't the same thing.

1)Plug your phone in.
    2) Hold the sleep/wake button until you get the 'Slide to power off'. Slide and let the phone shut down.
    3)Click 'Prepare to Jailbreak(DFU)' in GP.
    4) Follow the direction GP gives you to get your phone into DFU
    5) Jailbreak!

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are having problems following GP's instructions to get into DFU, perhaps you should consider using limera1n. I've used both, and found limera1n's instructions for getting into DFU easier to follow.

23. famguy123 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I just downloaded GP for Windows and am running it on Windows XP on my mac with Parallels. I plugged my iphone in and followed the directions as it took me into DFU mode. When it said jailbreak i clicked it and as soon as it started the jailbreak process, it forced the iphone out of DFU mode and made it boot regularly. I've re-tried over and over again and still same problem. I also get a problem with Limera1n. when it says jailbreak successful, i reboot and see no new limera1n logo. when i restart it still will not show. :( stupid computers. any help please? thanks again!!

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

One of the reason that Greenpoison (and Possibly Limera1n) is not out for the mac yet, is because the Exploit is USB driver dependent, and for some reason it is NOT working with the most recent Mac Drivers, using windows over a Mac with a Emulation software will carry the same issue, Ramdisk is not really loading, so the program thinks that it finish when it's really not.

I'va read some people having success with Parallel desktop, but based on the conversation on the IRC, it shouldn't.

25. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks again. Don't mean to miscommunicate myself here - I get that DFU and "off" are two different things. Thanks for the clarification just in case, though.

I'm evidently having issues with the actual instructions from GP. Could be a user-error involving my timing w/ the buttons. I'll try it again tonight and see where I get. Again, thanks for the help.