Gridlock - alternative to iBlank

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PhantomZone, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Gridlock by chpwn et al. is out!

$0.99 - a simple alternative to iBlank or Iconoclasm,

doesn't allow for dense layout, locks to whatever size column or row you have,

Just another app that does exactly what it says on the tin!

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I love when good developers have simple, useful ideas!

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

So I can make my layout like this without iBlank? I tried asking him and he didnt respond. As you can see, I have a lot of blank icons.

Attached Files:

4. PhantomZone thread starter macrumors 6502

yep....no problem with your layout!

5. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Yes. Exactly. You have a 4x4 grid and can put anywhere. If you download fcsb you can have a 5x4 to work with.

I want to know why this over iconoclasm. Less memory footprint? What are the advantages

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

7. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I just got this a few minutes ago and it seems to be working fine. Worth the $.99 so far.

Wes

8. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Looks as thought it will be mighty cool, just as soon as it works with infiniboard...

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Make sure you get the updated version, the initial version had a glitch where it hide the dock icons if you moved them. Fixed in the update.

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Even with iconoclasm, the icons fill from left to right. This would allow you to basically free form place icons ala android.

Edit.

It doesn't seem to play well with some iconoclasm layouts. It seems to get confused about where to place the icons and drops them in random places

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Like this app alot but will like it alot more when it works with infiniboard.

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The only drawback is if you want to put one icon in the dock it centers it. You can't put it on one end or the other.

13. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, good thing I didn't rid iBlank just yet. I don't mind having blank icons on the dock.

14. chargerfan macrumors member

If you have Iconoclasm you should already be able to do that.

I can see it being convenient in some cases, but not really necessary if you already have Iconoclasm.

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Awesome App

I have dumped Iconoclasm...now wasted money and iBlank. I do not need any of them. Gridlock allows you to place your icons anywhere on any page and blanks are no longer needed. I use 5 dock and 5 column and have not had one single problem yet. I think it is definitely worth the .99 and replaces two apps with one.

Just my .02 worth!:)

16. chargerfan macrumors member

Does GridLock allow you to change the position of dock icons?

edit: I saw that you said it allows you to put icons anywhere on any screen. If that's what it does, then yeah it is a better app than Iconoclasm. Iconoclasm uses the same layout for every page right?

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

No...not in the sense of putting: Icon, Space, Icon, Space, Icon for 5 dock

Everything moves in on the center so you could have Space, Icon, Icon, Icon, Space.

If you pull an icon out..it slides all toward the center.

Hope that answers your question:)

18. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Didn't you actually just replace two programs with two more?

While it can replicate some of the functionality of iconoclasm, it definitely doesn't do all. The bottom up layout I was using in iconoclasm looks totally different with five column sb and gridlock because of the spacing.

19. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Nope...uninstalled Iconoclasm
    uninstalled iBlank
    Installed Gridlock
    Everything works fine for my theme and set up on all pages.
    Iconoclasm does not work by separate page on iP4 like it used to on 3Gs.

20. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Installed 5 column Sb? And why did you still need iblank with iconoclasm?

I agree, the nonpage specific layouts are sorely missed from the old version. My biggest thing is that with iconoclasm you can have dense or sparse layouts, which isn't possible with the 5 column springboard.

Edit

Sorta answered my own question with the iblank comment and the lack of page specific layouts

21. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I tried Iconoclasm and everything was scattered. I kept swtching layouts and couldn't get any I wanted.

Before, I used 3*3=9*3=27 total blank icons for that layout (since I have 3 pages) + 3 for the dock.

Now I got rid of all of them and Gridlock allows the same exact layout (since its the stock layout, I just wanted the icons on the far right only as you see), and just used iBlank to make 3 for the dock to push the phone to the right as well.

22. chargerfan macrumors member

edit: I'm a bad reader and just saw that you have 3 pages. I haven't used iBlank, but I'm just assuming you could probably get Iconoclasm to work with iBlank for multiple pages, if the pages have some consistency to the way you want them. Just depends on how you create the Iconoclasm layout.

23. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

24. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Because if I used any custom layout with iconoclasm and not the native templates...All of my lower level folders would open with the view on the bottom side of the icon and only show one or two rows of icons in the folder.

I had to go back to the 4x5 native template and folders worked fine. I do not have a close proximity layout so Gridlock fits the bill to a T

Here is a screen shot. Position 1 and 5 have transparent icons...Weather and Calendar. Positions 3,4,5 are blank. On page two I have positions 1 through 5 blank and do not have to use ANY blanks anymore. I can pick and choose to my hearts content.

Attached Files:

• 001.PNG
      001.PNG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  25. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

From what I have read aorund the forum from you the folders work better and arent buggy.
    Can you please confirm :D?