Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I got a purple Belkin Grip Vue the other day and I noticed that it seems to be interfering with the flash on the back. Looks like the whole flash area is seen in the opening on the back but the quality is worse with the case on. Below is a picture with the case and then another same location without the case. It's done this in multiple shots. Guess I'll be taking it back.

Try the sharpie fix.

Carcaridon

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Orange County, CA
I picked up a blue-black ifrogz luxe original from BB just for some temporary protection until I get a bumper. The fit seems to be very snug all around; the openings for the holes are appropriately sized; I like the feel of the case; and it offers protection for the back and all around the sides. I'm really starting to get used to it (I wish Apple was making a bumper in this color) and may just keep it after all. I do wonder, though, how well it will fit with a screen protector on the face.

They completely don't fit, at least with the IS protector. I have the IS on mine and tried to put the red/black luxe on and it really did a number to the IS. The fit is VERY tight. I had the luxe for my 3G and had the same problem with their own screen protector that came with the case.

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
i really like the ifrogz luxe lean, but I have a couple questions:
Does it have "face plant" protection? That is, when laying face down, is the screen touching the table or does the case go out more.
Are there any flash issues with it?

ykmb

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I purchased and didn't like other cases (Apple Bumper, Griffin Reveal, and Incipio Dermashot) because:

1. Bumper - tight bottom fit won't allow connection to larger 3rd party/legacy chargers/docks
2. Reveal - back scratches very easily, rubber sides are bulky and unattractive (made a beautiful device look like a brick)
3. Dermashot - bulky, loose fit, attracts dust and lint

The Luxe Lean is the best case available IMO because:

1. Top and bottom are open allowing for easy docking/connecting to 3rd party/legacy chargers, headphones. Keeps 2nd top mic exposed.
2. Doesn't add bulk/weight
3. Great texture - doesn't scratch, good grip, doesn't attract dust/lint
4. Corners are protected
5. Vented sides for better reception and cooling
6. Steel frame shows through significantly.

I agree the Incipio Feather looks good/similar but it leaves the corners exposed too much for my comfort.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
posted in another thread,

but i thought i just throw it here...

i am using the reveal...nice case...love the clear back but the rubber sides are too flimsy...especially the bottom part near the speaker...when you pull your phone out you tend to pull that part out that little side out as well...

annoying and distracting...

anyone knows of something similar to the reveal (clear back) but of better quality!?

thanx

jamabam

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
I purchased and didn't like other cases (Apple Bumper, Griffin Reveal, and Incipio Dermashot) because:

1. Bumper - tight bottom fit won't allow connection to larger 3rd party/legacy chargers/docks
2. Reveal - back scratches very easily, rubber sides are bulky and unattractive (made a beautiful device look like a brick)

1. Top and bottom are open allowing for easy docking/connecting to 3rd party/legacy chargers, headphones. Keeps 2nd top mic exposed.
4. Corners are protected

I agree the Incipio Feather looks good/similar but it leaves the corners exposed too much for my comfort.

i really want the iFrogz Luxe Lean but i can't seem to find it anywhere! all the best buys in my area are sold out :(

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

4. Corners are protected

Awesome! A couple questions though. Does the screen touch the table when it is laying face down, or do the sides of the case go above the screen? And do you have any flash issue?

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Great review.

I myself have the Griffin Reveal, and although it's a nice case and all, the back scratches incredibly easy. Not that I mind, as long as it's not the phone being scratched, but damn.

I was never a fan of plastic cases, and thought I'd give the Griffin a try, but it failed to change my opinion on this.

I should say though, after putting on the case, my reception issues are gone.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Anyone have actual photos of the GREEN iFrogz Luxe Lean? The two shots on the BB site look like two different green colors to me. Thanks!

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
The Luxe Lean does go very slightly above the level of the screen so it gives some protection if it falls flat. I picked up one today and I really like it.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Anyone have actual photos of the GREEN iFrogz Luxe Lean? The two shots on the BB site look like two different green colors to me. Thanks!

The green is dot of baby poop/split pea soup color. Not my cup of tea, but some people like it.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I purchased a white Griffin Reveal today at Best Buy and I REALLY like it! The rubber, bumper-like border is nice & snug. The back plastic does scratch easily, but that's to be expected and it's protecting my iPhone 4, so I'm happy :D

Drakdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I purchased a white Griffin Reveal today at Best Buy and I REALLY like it! The rubber, bumper-like border is nice & snug. The back plastic does scratch easily, but that's to be expected and it's protecting my iPhone 4, so I'm happy :D

I bought one today at Best Buy as well. It is a really solid case, far exceeding my expectations, and even the flash problem isnt as big of a deal as I would have thought. Unfortunately, the clear back can suffer from some extreme rainbow warping effects, whatever they are called, so I went to exchange it but they didnt have anymore =( Oh well.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I bought one today at Best Buy as well. It is a really solid case, far exceeding my expectations, and even the flash problem isnt as big of a deal as I would have thought. Unfortunately, the clear back can suffer from some extreme rainbow warping effects, whatever they are called, so I went to exchange it but they didnt have anymore =( Oh well.

well in the next few weeks Griffin is updating their Reveal line to fix the flash issue and we send ours to them they'll send us the new ones free :D

hippyharry

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Does it suffer the same flash issues as the regular clear-back Reveal? The Etch looks really nice.

1) This photo is without case

photo1fa.jpg

2) This photo is with the case on

photo2jm.jpg

At first glance, both photos have the flash leaking into the picture. This room was a dark room with the shutters closed on the window, so only little bit of light coming through there.

With the case on, it looks a little darker.

ykmb

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Awesome! A couple questions though. Does the screen touch the table when it is laying face down, or do the sides of the case go above the screen? And do you have any flash issue?

the face does *not* touch the table when laid flat. the sides cover the steel frame and are raised above the glass. not a ton of room there, but it's still noticeable even with a thick zagg on.

hadn't tried a flash test but just did. check the attached. you can see the very slight green cast to the one where i used the flash (green case - green cast). nothing major though and i probably wouldn't have noticed if i wasn't looking for it. oddly enough, the image without the flash is the brightest :confused:

still holding out for a grey case regardless, just because i'd prefer it. they're totally unavailable though. maybe the grey one's won't cast a tint?

Attachments

• flash no case.JPG
    flash no case.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 81
  • flash with case.JPG
    flash with case.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 66
  • no flash.JPG
    no flash.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 79

USMCSSGT

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Beaufort, SC
I've been using the white Griffin Reveal for 12 days now and while I like it a lot, the white has yellowed a ton already! It's also started to get very dirty, and I baby it. I wear a suit to work everyday, so I'm not doing anything where it should get dirty, at least not that much.

I'll be stopping by BestBuy after work tomorrow to exchange it for a black one, or maybe something else. But I do like the case a lot, and I love the white/black contrast. But I can't keep using it like it is.

This isn't a negative review, just my personal experience thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.