Griffin's 'Survivor Play' Case for Apple TV Siri Remote Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in September, Griffin announced its first product for the fourth-generation Apple TV, a silicone case designed to protect the Apple TV Siri Remote. As of today, Griffin's Survivor Play remote control case is available for purchase.

The Survivor Play mimics the design of sleeves for the hand-held Wii Remote, wrapping the Siri Remote in a soft textured silicone that adds grip and padding that may save it from breaking should it be dropped on accident. The Siri Remote slips easily into the sleeve, which protects the back, the sides, and part of the front while still leaving the buttons, the built-in touch pad, and the Lightning port available for use.

At the back, there's a thick but ergonomic grip included, which Griffin says makes the Survivor Play easy and comfortable to hold on to even during long gameplay sessions.

Given that there have already been multiple reports from people who have broken the glass touch area on their Apple TV Siri Remotes, the Survivor Play is a useful accessory that could prove to be quite popular with Apple TV owners. Because it leaves the Lightning port open, it can be paired with a Remote Loop for even more peace of mind.

Griffin's Survivor Play for the Siri Remote can be purchased from the Griffin website for $19.99.

Article Link: Griffin's 'Survivor Play' Case for Apple TV Siri Remote Now Available

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hoping for more cases like this in the market soon, would love more colors. I need one for sure because I always lose the new remote in the bed because it is just so thin! In the plush duvet -- forget about it...

sentiblue

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Few things I don't like about the siri remote:

1. So small/slim that I keep having to look for it even though it's sitting right next to me when I'm in bed
2. When you pick it up, without looking at it, you can't tell which side is top/bottom

The case would have been a great benefit if it had a physical design to change #2 above.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This is much needed. Many whom I had over as guests commented the remote was too small. Surprised they didn't come out with black first.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
A missed opportunity. The commonly voiced issued with the new TV’s remote is the remote’s confusing symmetry. In a darkened room, it’s difficult to distinguish one end of the remote from the other, causing users to grasp the remote upsidedown. The buttons labels are equally indiscernible in poor light. Griffin’s case might resolve the first complaint but it could have been better if the case also covered the buttons with luminescent labels.

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011

1. So small/slim that I keep having to look for it even though it's sitting right next to me when I'm in bed
2. When you pick it up, without looking at it, you can't tell which side is top/bottom

The case would have been a great benefit if it had a physical design to change #2 above.
#2 is why I don't use the remote. Super frustrating.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas

The bottom third of the remote below the hard keys is now covered with this case, so it does. You should be able to tell by the feel alone which orientation is correct.

Reactions: rickdollar

nathanalf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Wisconsin
Bleh, looks like they changed the design a bit since the announcement. I liked the old/original look a lot better.

The new one looks exactly like the cheap ones on eBay (fair bit chunkier, bigger bulge on top near trackpad, and it now wraps around the top below the buttons).

Old (left) vs. new (right)

Reactions: profets

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014

Could not agree on #2- major design flaw.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

• Is your thumb touching the glossy part on the bottom of the remote? If 'Yes,' the remote is upside down. Flip to correct problem.
  • Is your thumb touching the trackpad? If 'Yes,' you are holding the remote correctly. No action is needed.
Can't say I've had too much of a problem with the remote. :confused:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Actually, if the case had been launched as originally designed, I might see your point about '#2 above', however, they greatly changed the design and extended the case to cover the smooth glass lower portion of the case. For me, that's plenty of both by-touch and visual indication when picking it up as to which way is correct :)

Original design:
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/screen-shot-2015-11-23-at-11-51-22-am-png.601805/

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Bleh, looks like they changed the design a bit since the announcement. I liked the old/original look a lot better.
The new one looks exactly like the cheap ones on eBay (fair bit chunkier, bigger bulge on top near trackpad, and it now wraps around the top below the buttons).
The "cheap ones on eBay" cover a lot more of the touchpad than the Griffin and the material comes too close to the buttons -- the Griffin covering in the new design leaves a better amount of space as not to interfere with pressing the buttons. Initially, the original design may have appeared nicer, but there would still be the issue of picking it up the wrong way and, as nice as it looks, it also looks like it would easily slip off the remote during use. The chunkier new design might not be as pretty, but it's going to stay put and something I like about the new design is it appears to be considerably thicker.

Cheap Ones From eBay:

https://forums.macrumors.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FIeMAAOSwwE5WVtDZ%2Fs-l1600.jpg&hash=b655f97cb1eeeeeecd49bf7f8d074591

Last edited:
Reactions: rickdollar

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
id like to see more cases differentiate the front and back of the remote. I'd like to pick it up with skipping movie content forward or back .

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008

The bottom is smooth, the top is not. Pretty easy to tell which way is up. Siri button is indented and on the left. Long volume rocker on the right. You know if it's reversed. Don't see an issue, at least for myself.

Don't like cases. Everything has a case on it these days. It's crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.