Grossly Slow Speeds Over FW 800

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i4k20c, Sep 16, 2011.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I purchased a Seagate goflex to use FW 800. After days of figuring out how i want the format/partition to be and all that jazz. I decide to finally test out the transfer speed.

to transfer a 4.67gb folder spread across ~10 files is taking 25 minutes. :eek:

What the heck is going on? :(

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What format, and are there any other devices on the bus? And, where are you transferring the files from?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've got a WD My Passport 640 FW800 and a 4GB file takes under 2min so you're right something is amiss.

4. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I'm transferring files from a DMG on my internal HD to a DMG i created on the external HD..that seems to be the problem.

Testing the transfer of a single ~1gig file took less than 15 seconds normally.

the same file going to a DMG on the external is taking 4 minutes. :(

Why is this? Is there no way to get around it? I want a pw-protected folder and thus use DMG's.

----------

GUID Type
    NTFS

No other devices connected.

And the files are housed on my internal HD on my early 2011 mbp stored in a ~20 gig DMG image.

I created a large DMG image on the external HD and was transferring the file to that.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The external is NTFS? OS-X can't write to NTFS natively, so you must be using a 3rd party solution. I don't have any experience with that, so I don't have a feel for what speeds to expect.

Also, what format are the DMG's?

If you can, create a HFS+ partition on the drive, repeat your tests, and see if there's any difference.

Keep in mind, there has to be at least some extra overhead because of the additional file system in the DMG.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you must share the drive with Windows (why else use NTFS) then why not use ExFAT

7. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I have two HFS+ partition and one NTFS parition on the HD.

DMG on internal HD is HFS+

DMG on external is located in the NTFS partition and is HFS+

i'm also trying to use Truecrypt and see if that's a better solution for me maybe?

seems like some windows have problems with ExFAT where as I know NTFS will work fine. I'm using Paragon to write from my mac to it.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

XP has a patch from Microsoft for ExFAT and both Vista, Win7 & OSX 10.6 support it natively. It's solid and actually a pretty decent format.