Groundhog Day! Is Anyone Celebrating?

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Big day in the USA! And Canada! What will you be doing? Is it a big deal in Pennsylvania?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
From the movie Groundhog Day

Phil: What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?
Ralph: That about sums it up for me.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. *That* was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get *that* day over, and over, and over...

Ned... Ryerson!! "Needlenose Ned" "Ned the Head"
Now, don't you tell me you don't remember me because I sure as heckfire remember you.

Happens to be my favorite movie ;)

Anybody else with a favorite line?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
I don't really care about groundhogs day but PETA does. They want to replace Phil with a robot, lol.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
"This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You're hypocrites, all of you! " - Phil Conners

lol

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I would be watching Groundhog Day tonight after work, but today just so happens to be the season 6 premiere of Lost. Sorry...

This year I'm going to try deep-frying a groundhog stuffed with a prairie dog stuffed with a squirrel. A groundoggerel.
The only problem with a groundoggerel is that the meat is really tough.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Even though I've been living outside of North America for over 3 years now I still find groundhog day amusing, if only because of the movie. I try to watch it every year. It's one of my top 20 favourites.

http://upc.*************/uploads/avatars/phils.jpg​
Don't drive angry. Don't drive angry.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've never known groundhog day to be a big deal. Then again I've spent all but one year of my entire life in CA which is code for sunshine. Now ... as I look out my window at the snow I think I better start paying attention. :eek:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I enjoy the movie and that's about it for me. Of course I'll find out what happens becaue it will be a story of interest on the news or on the net, but If I don't happen to hear I won't seek out the groundhog results because it's not really important to me.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm having me some blueberry waffles this morning :cool:

...and am I the only one who wonders how sea otters make love?

Tidbit: The movie is included in some great government library of cultural whatnots. I think. I read that on the internetz somewhere so you know it has to be true.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Just for S&Gs I thought I'd post this, excerpted from The Lay of the Last Minstrel, by Willard Scott:
Sir Walt said:
Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!
Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd,
As home his footsteps he hath turn'd,
From wandering on a foreign strand!
If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
High though his titles, proud his name,
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self,
Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
And, doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
Unwept, unhonor'd, and unsung.
It's actually very well written I think :)

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Stupid f***ing groundhog saw his shadow and now we have 6 more weeks of winter
On the bright side the prediction has a 39% accuracy rate (according to the National Climatic Data Center.)