Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
In my System Preferences on my MBP early 2011, I notice there's a new item under "Other" column called "Growl." What is this and how did it get there? I could have sworn I didn't see that there before when I first started using my MBP. My MBP is merely a couple of weeks old. I'm reading it's a notification system... but I don't recall installing anything of the sort. Has anyone else seen this item appear?

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
No. I recently installed Creative Suite. After reading more about it online, I discovered that's the culprit. I'm learning how to uninstall it now from here http://growl.info/documentation/growl-package-removal.php

It's kind of annoying having to download an actual "uninstaller" to remove it. Also, this shows you how to remove it from the Preference Plane: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/840/cpsid_84093.html.

Why would you remove Growl? It is an awesome app.

vnle

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
Maryland
Why would you remove Growl? It is an awesome app.

+1 Adium & Growl are always the first apps I install whenever I do a clean wipe of my mac

Is it? Hm. What can Growl do that the regular Mac OS can't do? Wouldn't the OS alert me of new mail or new messages, etc, on its own anyway?

If you chat, it's kinda useful for the chat messages to pop up. Not sure if it works for ichat but for adium, it's an awesome combination. Mail only shows a number on the app icon while Growl can do a popup notification for you. (Though a little annoying waiting for it to catch up with the new versions of mail) That's not the limit of growl - you can have it notify you in many different styles for many different apps. :D

RationalGaze

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Growl also tells me when the GPU switches from integrated to dedicated, after installing gfxCardStatus.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Growl is awesome. Leave it. It works with a number of apps. foursquareX, twitter, Transmit, gfx, and a number of other things. It's very useful.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Growl is the most unified and clear notifications app in the world of desktops. It's also open source and very often downloaded. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.