GRRR, Still LONG LINES!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mm1250, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Yesterday I decided to goto the Apple store to upgrade my iPhone to the 3G. Figuring it's been almost a month since release I wouldn't have any issues with stock or long lines.

So I stopped at the Apple Store on Michigan Ave (Chicago). I saw a line of about 15 people outside but just walked. While asking one of the reps to get me an iPhone I was told I had to wait outside than there is another line inside which looked like 75 people easy. She said the wait time was between 2-4 hours.

I didn't want to wait so I just left and saved myself $300. Apple should really just allow people to buy it online like the original version.

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I just got back from the Apple store at the Mall at Millenia in Orlando and was shocked myself to see a line of about 50 people!

I havent been to the mall since about a week before launch and I know this particular store is always busy, but I couldnt believe it that nearly a month after launch that people were still waiting in line!

Luckily I just had to run in to pick up some new headphones for my daughters ipod, so I was in and out quick.

3. MasonMI macrumors regular

i'm glad i ordered mine through AT&T it took a few weeks for my 16GB in black to finally be shipped to the AT&T store but it beats waiting for hours in an Apple store line and your not even gauranteed an iphone.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I stopped in the Cincinnati (Kenwood) Apple Store this past Wednesday evening and there wasn't a line and I saw several iPhones being activated in the store (2 white, and 1 black so not sure if that one was 8 or 16GB). This was at about 7pm or so. Either there was a line earlier and I was just seeing the last of the activations from what they had or there weren't any lines at all and they simply have them in stock now. Not sure which it was.

5. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I totally agree! I got mine through direct fulfillment from att store and while it took 2 weeks, i didnt have to wait in any lines or go through all that hassle. I would suggest anyone who wants a new iphone just go to there local att store, order one, sit back and before you know it you will have a shiny new phone.

6. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Think of it this way, those who stood in line saved $200 by doing so.

Although in my case I waited an hour and still had to pay the $200. :)

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Wait... how so?

I'm glad I got mine when I did. In line, day 3. Had to go to three places, but the wait in the last line ended up only being about an hour (of course i didn't walk out of the apple store for another hour and 15 mins because of problems with my family plan account...)

8. MasonMI macrumors regular

The iphone 3G is the same price wether you buy it at the AT&T store or an Apple store.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Now, did you tell them that you are a demi-god on MR? I hear in some places they move you up to the front for that. ;)

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I did the DF through a local AT&T store, took all of one day to get my order in. I was in and out in 20 min. Can't beat it.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

but apparently if you wait in line you save 200 bucks!!! haha :rolleyes:

12. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I was fortunate and walked into an empty Apple store and bought a couple, but this is ridiculous.

Apple and AT&T should sell the thing online with contract like AT&T does with all of their other devices. This silly marketing maneuver of long lines generating buzz is really dumb. I feel for those who think waiting 3 hrs for a phone is worthwhile.:mad:

13. davidlw macrumors 6502a

14. shinenjk macrumors regular

To the OP:

Weird, I live in Boston and I never saw such a long line at the Apple Store I go to. I guess it all depends on where you live.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Lines still exist in Baton Rouge as well AND AT&T stores in New Orleans...very frustrating

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

DON'T GO ON THE WEEKEND OR AFTER 4PM. THERE WILL BE LONG LINES! The best time to go is on a weekday just BEFORE lunch hour (go between 9:30am to 11:30am) and there will be barely anyone in line. Also, if you go at least an hour after lunch hour (go between 2pm to 3pm), the line will be short.

[​IMG]

17. packetjunkie macrumors regular

It's not a $199 iPhone (or $299). The $200 off is the discounted price from AT&T; thats why we have to wait in line to activate. If AT&T is going to give people $200 towards their phones, they want to be sure people are going to actual customers. You aren't going to get a discounted $199 iPhone without giving AT&T your business.

There will always be the option to pay the full price which is more in line with what the old iPhone sold for; they just chose to focus on current customers first and let those who were just buying the phones to resell sit on the sidelines.

18. Hamstring macrumors member

I'm in Chicago and walked into AT&T and ordered on the evening July 21. I am picking it up today. 16 GB Black. Two weeks door to door is a good deal. No lines, no hassle. I do not know why people are waiting in line to get a cell phone.

19. slicecom macrumors 68020

I'm guessing because they'd rather wait a couple hours than a couple weeks. :confused:

20. packetjunkie macrumors regular

I waited an hour. Waiting two weeks? Ugh. I didnt have the original iPhone (preferring my 3G Blackjack at the time). I was actually stoked to get my 3G and didnt want to endure waiting to see if it came in the mail.

21. Hamstring macrumors member

Well I'm reading posts where people are running aorund to different stores and certainly wasting more time than ordering and waiting for an email or waitning in line for an hour. I guess I'm just so patient I suppose.

22. MasonMI macrumors regular

Actually AT&T or Apple will not let you buy an iphone without signing a 2 year contract.

23. mm1250 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe if Apple wouldn't be pricks and sent stock to ATT's 1,800 stores there wouldn't be line issues!

24. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

NO joke... I went to Dallas Northpark this Saturday got there about 10am and had to wait probably 40 min in line. Once I got inside there was no line but had all kinds of other issues so the whole thing took me about 3 hours!

25. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Not yet, anyways. There are plans to allow for that, but being "smart" they are offering it to those who are customers or who will be customers first.

Tried to buy a Wii lately? Out of stock. And how long has that game console been out?

AT&T is taking care of its customers first and I can't say I blame them considering the investment they made.