Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankMoody

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
They got screwed because they couldn't deliver what they contractually promised. If they bet the company on delivering, that's Apple's fault? Apple held a gun to their head and made them sign the contract?

Building contractors must love all you people who don't believe contract terms need to be fulfilled for payments to be made.

If they can't suppress the info, I guess we'll get to see the details. Even if they appear lopsided in favor of Apple, GT SIGNED THE CONTRACT. They could have happily continued on their way without Apple's business.

The CEO cashing out definitely seems fishy and as others have stated, I believe he'll be investigated.

You misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I'm in the boat that this was GTAT's fault for putting all their eggs in one basket and betting big that it could produce what they promised to Apple. Ultimately when Apple realized that they would not get the sapphire screens they needed, they withheld payment and that is what screwed GTAT.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
If GT missed the deadline by only a few weeks, how was Apple able to get adequate supplies of Corning glass seemingly on a moments notice?

This is a very good point and why the Bankruptcy Court is going to bust open like a piñata this Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Once again, that is Apple's surprise. They're not going to be able to keep all this secret now.

I'm buying stock in popcorn! :D

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
The rumor (which should be about as good as us convicting the CEO as "shyster", etc because he sold shares of the company) was that GT delivery was off by weeks. If true, Apple chose not to wait. Since Apple was the only customer and GT was locked into exclusivity to only Apple, this is where it goes.

I find myself imagining many pallets of 4.7" and 5.5" screens on a dock with nowhere to ship because the one customer opted to go with glass this time. OR, I picture a bunch of specialized machinery purchased to make 4.7" and 5.5" screens idle because the ONE customer does not currently want what they can produce. Staff to run those machines also idle. Passage of time driving a need to pay that staff even if they are idle.

Where else but bankruptcy could this go if that is as it really is?

Does that make it all or partially Apple's fault? Not necessarily. If it was weeks and Sapphire was very important to Apple, couldn't they have waited? If it wasn't weeks but more than that, couldn't Apple have released them from their exclusive arrangement so they could sell to someone else? Lots of possibilities for us speculators.

On the flip-side, the whole thing looks like a small company took a big gamble to try to go from little to big in one big hop. They missed their target(s) and their benefactor wasn't willing to wait for them. If it turns out they missed by weeks, another view of that would be that they barely missed. If so, that's a gamble that almost paid off huge.

In hindsight and now bankruptcy, the gamble was wrong... too big to handle. But if you were back in the time when the gamble was being weighed, it would be a situation where your small company could deliver a highly-touted part to Apple's most important product and your company could go from smallish to much bigger AND have the direct association with Apple. Who wouldn't take that chance if you were in their shoes?

One would think if it was just a matter of a few weeks more, and everything would roll without issue like production is now (ok, there always seems to be *some* issue, but you get what I mean I think), then I don't know that'd we'd be here and it would seem "petty" of Apple. Without further details, we won't know how it all went down. Perhaps GT had indicated "only a few weeks" a number of times and Apple felt they could just no longer delay the new phone launch. I imagine it's frustrating for both GT and Apple. GT obviously wants to meet the obligation and get the big payout and continue to work with Apple in the future (I imagine this is a huge boost to their company's bottom line and a massive influx of business). Apple wants to be able to tout the new (and hopefully unmatchable) feature on their new phones. Both sides lose.

It seems to me if Apple really wanted to own the sapphire production, they would have just bought GT (assuming they were willing to sell) beforehand. My guess, they don't want to be in that business and would rather just purchase what they need. That way, if Corning or someone else comes up with a better product they want to switch to in the future, they can much more easily/cheaply. What fab or component production do they do themselves now? I can't think of any. They design the SoCs, but farm it out to be produced. They don't do the assembly, they farm it out to others (even purchasing equipment, to be used exclusively for Apple-related work).

Hopefully GT was on the right path and just fell a bit short for Apple's needs and they'll be able to work through this and everyone can win when it's used in the next round of phones.

----------

You misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I'm in the boat that this was GTAT's fault for putting all their eggs in one basket and betting big that it could produce what they promised to Apple. Ultimately when Apple realized that they would not get the sapphire screens they needed, they withheld payment and that is what screwed GTAT.

Ok, I misunderstood. I was even going to say originally that much of what I was saying wasn't truly directed at you (as your statement seemed softer than others on placing the blame on Apple). Sorry!

Last edited:

HankMoody

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I bought stock in GTAT today as a complete gamble. I saw that it dropped 90% the day the bankruptcy was announced and the following day it went up 50%. The stock has been remained pretty stable the last two days. Interesting to see how this investment pays out. Ive never invested in a stock that has filed for chapter 11, anyone know of any trends for bankrupt companies stock?

If the court gives them the protection they're asking for from their creditors, that could buy them time to work out whatever production/yield issues they're having. If they get that on track their stock could rise again. On the other hand, they may not get bankruptcy protection or they may not be able to fix their issues and they'll eventually dissolve. It'll be interesting.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
It doesn't explain why the CEO sold $10 million stocks in May, June, July, and Sep. He knew something.

If he had $500 million on stock, that isn't that suspicious. If he had $12 million, it is.

I haven't cared to do the research to find out.

:)

HankMoody

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
If he had $500 million on stock, that isn't that suspicious. If he had $12 million, it is.

I haven't cared to do the research to find out.

:)

According to their last proxy, the CEO had about 840,000 options in the Company. So at the Company's 52 week high ($20.54), he had about $17.2M lockedup in the Company.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Actually, the sale of the CEO's shares was part of a plan filed with the SEC earlier this spring.

Yes, he had to file earlier (many cases 90-180 days out), but he did this knowing that his company would go under in LONGER than 90-180 days.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
It doesn't explain why the CEO sold $10 million stocks in May, June, July, and Sep. He knew something.
He knew he could make 10 million bucks.

I wonder sometimes if some people find a piece of lint in their bellybutton and immediately whip out their magnifying glass, going into full Sherlock Holmes mode, to discover who placed it there and why. The game is constantly afoot!

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
If GT missed the deadline by only a few weeks, how was Apple able to get adequate supplies of Corning glass seemingly on a moments notice?

That's assuming that the plan was, in fact to use sapphire. That was only ever speculation, and not well-supported speculation at that. It was mainly trumpeted by WSJ, if I remember correctly, and that's not a publication that has a great track record in this area. Especially since coming under Murdoch's control.

I think Apple was easily able to get supplies because that was in fact the plan all along.

----------

Actually, the sale of the CEO's shares was part of a plan filed with the SEC earlier this spring.

I haven't seen the plan, but reports have said that the plan did not include specific sale dates. That is surprising to me.

The ones that Apple execs file (Cook, Cue, etc) have specify exactly how many shares will be sold and on what date. No wriggle-room. And I think they're filed at least six month in advance, i.e. file one on 30 September for sales March - September of the following year.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It seems pretty obvious they went bankrupt because Apple didn't put GTAT's sapphire screens in the new iphone but they can't disclose that because Apple had them sign a confidentiality agreement.

This should be an interesting case for Apple fanboys to follow because if the creditors have their way, there will be a lot of disclosure regarding Apple's plans with Sapphire.

There is court presidence where the Search and Discovery process can invalidate a confidentiality agreement. If the company is going into bankruptcy already, exposure of confidential items is just part of the corporate triage to find out what happened to settle the case.

My guess is the confidentiality agreements will be voided by the court with no party liable. While any request can be made in a courtroom, the judge does not have to grant it.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012

Either way, it's not automatically suspicious. CEOs are expected to hold shares of their company, but they are not expected to never sell them. Sometimes, they actually want to turn them into cold, hard cash. You can't pay a Ferrari or a house at the beach by saying "I got stock options that are going to skyrocket soon!"

If there is some evidence that he knew that his company would not be able to deliver as promised, then it will be investigated, and he will go to jail. But a Macrumors forum full of people who think they are smarter than the SEC despite not having access to any internal evidence is ridiculous.

Engineers at Apple are not retarded. They had inside access to the company and obviously thought until quite recently that they would be able to get a sufficient supply of sapphire displays.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I'll just put this out there:
1) The CEO's stock sale isn't suspicious, it was planned and submitted to the SEC in compliance with the law.
2) The timing of the bankruptcy announcement (just *after* that stock sale), however, *is* suspicious.
3) The attempt to keep from telling the bankruptcy court *how* they plan to reorganize and stay in business is *extremely* suspicious.
4) The constant attempts to paint the behavior of GT as being *Apple's* fault is asinine.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Honest question. Let's say GTAT is at $1.00. What are the primary reasons you should drop, say $500 on their stock right now? I think I'm mostly wondering what all does Chapter 11 mean for a company and its stockholders. If they will continue operating under Chapter 11, could one make a bet that they would eventually turn things around with sapphire for the :apple:Watch and maybe future iPhones or iPads? If that is the case, their stock could jump back up to $10 turning your $500 into $5,000.

Is that a dumb bet to make in and of itself, or does bankruptcy also do other things that you have to factor into the company's future and its stock?

I'm pretty sure getting stock advice from a tech forum would be considered a dumb bet. :D

Seriously, you're much better off with professional financial advice.
I'm not looking to invest anything, but I was looking for a discussion. I know this is a tech forum, but some of the folks posting in this particular bankruptcy story on a tech rumor website seemed knowledgeable enough.

I just found what I was looking for though, which is some insight into what you might expect for shares in a Chapter 11 company. It sounds like the answer could end up being $0, so it's not worth buying even if shares are a buck. http://seekingalpha.com/article/2547995-gt-advanced-technologies-will-be-a-zero

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
He had to declare bankruptcy but doesn't want to let anyone see any financials, right after he cashed out a large amount of stock options... What happened to the good old punishments? Tar and feather this guy!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
There were always huge rumours spreading about Pixar, because their John Lasseter was exclusively paid in share options, and promptly turned them into cash - everyone screaming that he's an insider and his selling means the company will go bankrupt, when indeed he had to sell because otherwise he didn't have a penny to live on. (He made about $10 million a year so he had plenty of money, but only after selling his share options).

If I recall correctly, when Steve returned to Apple and became CEO, he was paid $1/year salary. He was also paid stock bonuses based on profits. If this agreement continued, he had to continually sell stock in order to live.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
So much for trusting William DeVane's investing advice again.

This is clearly all Rosland Capital's fault. :D

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I'll just put this out there:
1) The CEO's stock sale isn't suspicious, it was planned and submitted to the SEC in compliance with the law.
2) The timing of the bankruptcy announcement (just *after* that stock sale), however, *is* suspicious.
3) The attempt to keep from telling the bankruptcy court *how* they plan to reorganize and stay in business is *extremely* suspicious.
4) The constant attempts to paint the behavior of GT as being *Apple's* fault is asinine.

The documents that GT seeks to have filed under seal must be provided to the Court in unredacted form. The request to seal, if granted, would not apply to the Judge. That's the whole point. You want the Judge to see the unredacted documents and not the general public.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
The documents that GT seeks to have filed under seal must be provided to the Court in unredacted form. The request to seal, if granted, would not apply to the Judge. That's the whole point. You want the Judge to see the unredacted documents and not the general public.

Yes, that's the normal way of doing things, but that doesn't cover parts of what has been reported.

Luc Despins of Paul Hastings told U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Henry Boroff an unspecified confidentiality agreement prevented GT from disclosing the cause of its bankruptcy, or its plan for dealing with the situation.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Sounds like Apple doesn't want there name mentioned as part of the reason for the bankruptcy. Hope the courts open this big can of worms to see if apple did screw this little company or did GT do it to themselves. These little private deals should be thrown out the window when it gets into court, and all documentation be displayed to the courts and the people. What is apple afraid of if this goes public? Sounds like some shady dealings going on and apple is about to get wacked. If all this goes private, my guess the judge got one hell of a payoff!

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, that's the normal way of doing things, but that doesn't cover parts of what has been reported.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "that doesn't cover parts of what has been reported."

They prepared a Supplemental Declaration, which the motion claims includes information regarding "...circumstances leading to these chapter 11 cases..."

https://www.kccllc.net/gtat/document/1411916141009000000000012

They also want to file a motion to reject under seal.

They want to provide the Court with unredacted versions of these documents/information.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.