Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I have an early 2009 Mac Pro and just added a GTX 285 with a clean install of SL. Performance is AWFUL. Am I doing something wrong here?

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Define "AWFUL" ?

Awful = 25-30 FPs in most outdoor areas of northrend.

This SAME setup running bootcamp is getting 50-80 FPS in Outdoor areas.

this same setup with a flashed XFX 4890 was getting 40-50 FPs in the same areas.

this has to be more than bad Nvidia drivers no? Pathetic..

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Ok Now I know something is up. I stood in a very visually intensive area of Sholazar Basin and got 37 FPS @ 2560x1600 with everything at max.

I then changed ALL setting s to the LOWEST possible and resolution I took down to 1920x1200 .. guess what? SAME EXACT 37 FPS....

WTF is going on with Wow, the GTX 285 and Snow leopard?

To make sure I do not have a faulty card I went and installed CUDA and an app that forces the GTX 285 to run full speed... I got the exact same results...

IS this the Card? the drivers? Snow leopard?? This SAME card runs at 80+ FPS using Bootcamp in the same machine so Im leaning toward Snow Leopard or the drivers... Anyone?

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
Ok Now I know something is up. I stood in a very visually intensive area of Sholazar Basin and got 37 FPS @ 2560x1600 with everything at max.

I then changed ALL setting s to the LOWEST possible and resolution I took down to 1920x1200 .. guess what? SAME EXACT 37 FPS....

WTF is going on with Wow, the GTX 285 and Snow leopard?

To make sure I do not have a faulty card I went and installed CUDA and an app that forces the GTX 285 to run full speed... I got the exact same results...

IS this the Card? the drivers? Snow leopard?? This SAME card runs at 80+ FPS using Bootcamp in the same machine so Im leaning toward Snow Leopard or the drivers... Anyone?

I'd say its the lack of properly coded GTX drivers within SL, but i dont know what the situation is with such things, whether the drivers are completed or not..
:S

PTP

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why not post over in the WoW forums about this issue? Not implying that you should not post here, I thought it would be a good place to check on SL issues.

This thread seems to indicate no real problems with WoW and SL.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Anti aliasing + Full screen glow makes WoW drop 50% in FPS, tried to enable just one of them?

Turned of vertical sync?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.