Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hi,
I just purchased a GTX Titan 6GB signature superclocked. I know that macvidcards says they recommend I use an additional power supply. However, I have heard that some people have been using it without. Is this true?

If I do need to use an additional power supply, what is the easiest way to do this? I found nothing concrete on what I should buy.

PS: running a 4.1 mac pro with 6 core 3.33 and 48gb of ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Then what do I need to do to get this thing working in my computer? I see everyone saying to by drive bay power supplies. But all the links from every thread link me to a newegg product that is no longer in stock.

I don't know if it matters, but I definitely won't be pushing this graphics card to the max.

I do photoshop work, and use capture one on 65 megapixel files (probably the hardest work my graphics card will do)

I also play csgo (which normally isn't that hard on the graphics card).

I purchased this card because it was a killer deal :)

Barefeats:

The GTX 780 6GB runs fine on the dual PCIe internal power cables -- as does the GTX 680 and Radeon HD 7950.

That though was not the SC version which does have an 8-pin connector.

So you want to play roulette with a $US1,000-ish card?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=3B51444C-69B8-4948-A832-176A673CF79D

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
MacVidCards offer a flashing and mod service your existing GTX 780 for $200.

The 450W PSU that fits in a 5.25" optical drive bay I use to have link for on Newegg and Amazon but can't find either. Bing though took me to one of our threads! (450W PSU optical drive bay 2x8-pin ~ search)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1472518/

Barefeats sourced a card that only needed 2 x 6-pin, not SC Edition, in order to avoid power having to come from an external. And as long as it has an 8-pin 150W + 75W + 75W is the max power under max load and stress.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
It seems that every recommended PSU that fits in the optical bay is out of stock...

Does anyone know where I can get one? Seems like its not all that hard to do, and might be worth it to be using a titan.

MacVidCards offer a flashing and mod service your existing GTX 780 for $200.

The 450W PSU that fits in a 5.25" optical drive bay I use to have link for on Newegg and Amazon but can't find either. Bing though took me to one of our threads! (450W PSU optical drive bay 2x8-pin ~ search)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1472518/

Barefeats sourced a card that only needed 2 x 6-pin, not SC Edition, in order to avoid power having to come from an external. And as long as it has an 8-pin 150W + 75W + 75W is the max power under max load and stress.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
This MIGHT work

Place this - http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter-extra/dp/B00J3U2BBE - in a non-conductive case. Draw power for it from a SATA connector for the six-pin connection point on the Titan card. Use a "Y" 6-pin female + 6-pin female to 8-pin male PCIe cable [ like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-PCI-E-...060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47afeb74 - e.g.,] powered by the two mini 6-pin PCIe connectors on the MP's motherboard (they're just slightly under the back side of the front fan assembly in the PCI-e card storage area of your MP). If you don't have the cables to connect their male connectors there, then you might try using two of these cables - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6-pin-...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234326497b . Excluding the cost of the plastic case to enclose the SATA powered Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter, this will set you back about $27, excluding shipping and taxes. I don't vouch for any of these parts or this working because I've neither used them nor tried this before. So it's your baby from here on - the risks are all yours.

P.S. Or use a cable like this - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...LbzW-adE6TPqqXqCCdk83lO3Lz8bp6HJSvBoCPTbw_wcB - and dispense with the SATA powered Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter (and the task of enclosing it). Google this - sata to pcie 6 pin - for other suppliers.

Last edited:

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Thank You for your reply.

This is the solution without using an additional power supply?

Has anyone done this?

Place this - http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter-extra/dp/B00J3U2BBE - in a non-conductive case. Draw power for it from a SATA connector for the six-pin connection point on the Titan card. Use a "Y" 6-pin female + 6-pin female to 8-pin male PCIe cable [ like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-PCI-E-...060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47afeb74 - e.g.,] powered by the two mini 6-pin PCIe connectors on the MP's motherboard (they're just slightly under the back side of the front fan assembly in the PCI-e card storage area of your MP). If you don't have the cables to connect their male connectors there, then you might try using two of these cables - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6-pin-...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234326497b . Excluding the cost of the plastic case to enclose the SATA powered Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter, this will set you back about $27, excluding shipping and taxes. I don't vouch for any of these parts or this working because I've neither used them nor tried this before. So it's your baby from here on - the risks are all yours.

P.S. Or use a cable like this - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...LbzW-adE6TPqqXqCCdk83lO3Lz8bp6HJSvBoCPTbw_wcB - and dispense with the SATA powered Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter (and the task of enclosing it). Google this - sata to pcie 6 pin - for other suppliers.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
This is the solution without using an additional power supply?
Actually Tutor's solution does require another external PSU, and the first linked adapter clearly shows a 24-pin main power connector is need to provide the GPU 6-pin power. Since your MP is 4,1 which has a single rail PSU with 79A for 12V, you could just tap two additional SATA power connectors to add enough power as suggested in this post. However you do need SATA to 6-pin adapter like this one and dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter linked in Tutor's post. It's going to be messy to route these cables, but it does not require another PSU.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
I'm a little confused to the link you gave me, doesn't send me to instructions on how to do this. It just send me to one comment.

Actually Tutor's solution does require another external PSU, and the first linked adapter clearly shows a 24-pin main power connector is need to provide the GPU 6-pin power. Since your MP is 4,1 which has a single rail PSU with 79A for 12V, you could just tap two additional SATA power connectors to add enough power as suggested in this post. However you do need SATA to 6-pin adapter like this one and dual 6-pin to 8-pin adapter linked in Tutor's post. It's going to be messy to route these cables, but it does not require another PSU.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
mPCIE to 6pin
mPCIE & 2 Sata to 8pin
This is the instruction. Connect one mini 6-pin to PCIe 6-pin cable to the 6-pin connector on your video card. Then connect 2 SATA power to PCIe 6-pin adapter plus another mini 6-pin to PCIe 6-pin to the 8-pin connector using the appropriate adapter as follows:

Attachments

• Untitled Diagram.png
    Untitled Diagram.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 175

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
And this works fine without an additional power supply?

Seems simple enough.

This is the instruction. Connect one mini 6-pin to PCIe 6-pin cable to the 6-pin connector on your video card. Then connect 2 SATA power to PCIe 6-pin adapter plus another mini 6-pin to PCIe 6-pin to the 8-pin connector using the appropriate adapter as follows:

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
And this works fine without an additional power supply?
As long as your MP is 4,1/5,1 with a single-rail PSU and only one 8-pin power connector on the video card, you should be fine. Also avoid using FurMark for testing the limit. Each SATA power port theorectically has a max of 54W (12V x 4.5amp). Just don't try this on MP 3,1 and older since they use multi-rail PSU instead.

Edit: Read this thread for more info and assume all potential risks on your own.

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816

XcodeSyn,

Thanks for giving OP much better advice.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Thank You for all your help so far. Tutor as well.

So what exactly do I need to buy?

Is this all I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Branded-8inch-15pin-Express-Power/dp/B005NJXY7O

I currently only have the following cable:

cable1.jpg

As long as your MP is 4,1/5,1 with a single-rail PSU and only one 8-pin power connector on the video card, you should be fine. Also avoid using FurMark for testing the limit. Each SATA power port theorectically has a max of 54W (12V x 4.5amp). Just don't try this on MP 3,1 and older since they use multi-rail PSU instead.

Edit: Read this thread for more info and assume all potential risks on your own.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
After following this,

Ok so I tried to figure it out myself.

It looks like I need the following.

1) the mpcie 6pin to 6pin (quantity of 2)

http://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-E...&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=mpcie+to+6-pin+mac+pro

2) 2 sata to 6-pin

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATPCIEXADAP-6-Inch-Express-Adapter/dp/B007Y91B80

3) 6 pin + 6pin to 8pin
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-PCI-E-...main_0&hash=item3f47afeb74&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Can you please let me know if this is all correct? And if these exact ones are OK to order, and I will start ordering them all now :)

Best Regards,
Eric

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Can you please let me know if this is all correct? And if these exact ones are OK to order, and I will start ordering them all now :)
Yes they are the correct adapters to order. Depending on where you tap your SATA power connectors, you may also need SATA extension cables as well, especially if you plan to use the SATA power from the optical bay.

One minor detail is that you need to cut off one side (the thinner side) of plastic stub on the male SATA power connector, otherwise it won't fit into the SATA power female connector on the motherboard.

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Just ordered it, thank you for your help.

They should all arrive monday. Is there someone that has posted a how to on this? Seems pretty self explanatory with the exception of the SATA power from the optical bay. Where exactly is this located?

Yes they are the correct adapters to order. Depending on where you tap your SATA power connectors, you may also need SATA extension cables as well, especially if you plan to use the SATA power from the optical bay.

One minor detail is that you need to cut off one side (the thinner side) of plastic stub on the male SATA power connector, otherwise it won't fit into the SATA power female connector on the motherboard.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Is there someone that has posted a how to on this? Seems pretty self explanatory with the exception of the SATA power from the optical bay. Where exactly is this located?
If this is too confusing for you, I suggest that you read the technician guide to understand better how to access each component of your machine. Just do a Google search on "2009 Mac Pro Technician Guide" and save the PDF for reference. (Can't provide a direct link because it's against the Forum rules for some reason.)

BTW, this eBay link lists Visiontek 450W external PSU which can be installed in the Optical bay. It's $50 and not as cheap as it used to be from NewEgg, but it's still an option.

Last edited:

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
After major headaches with running AMD R9 280X's with my 4K screen (Samsung U28D590) I sold my dual R9 cards and went back to nVidia, but this time I purchased a GTX Titan, I already had the internal optical bay PSU installed and run the card with that however I thought the same as you to start maybe it will run just on internal power... Nope, at least not in the traditional manor, I never tried the patch sata connections however after the switch from AMD to nVidia and from FCPX to DaVinci Resolve... All is good in the work again and I have a crisp 4k screen with zero issues... If the numbers are correct, I would not feel confident with a GPU with a potential of pulling up to 350W

GTX POWER DEMAND

from the internal 980W PSU, 2 x130w cpu's, 2 SSD's, 4 x 2tb HDD, 48gb ram, bluray drive plus all the fans... For the sake of £50 ish would it not be safer to install a internal PSU?

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
If I install that, that means all the cables I just purchased are not correct anymore?

That also means that I need to solder and possibly cut holes in my case to run the power cable through correct?

I would really not prefer to do that. Again, the most stress I will be putting on the card is CSGO, Photoshop, and Capture One.

People were telling me that it should be fine as long as I pulled power from the optical bay.

If this is too confusing for you, I suggest that you read the technician guide to understand better how to access each component of your machine. Just do a Google search on "2009 Mac Pro Technician Guide" and save the PDF for reference. (Can't provide a direct link because it's against the Forum rules for some reason.)

BTW, this eBay link lists Visiontek 450W external PSU which can be installed in the Optical bay. It's $50 and not as cheap as it used to be from NewEgg, but it's still an option.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
No the 5.25 power supplies have a slot cover that allows the power cable to exit via a pci slot. I use one it's quiet and has enough power that I never need to worry about my cards.

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
Exactly, no cutting or drilling holes in my cMP

I at the moment have left a slot clear for the power cable to exit until I'm happy with my set up, the mod to the internal 5.25 PSU was to replace the fans with noctua nf-a410 flx fans which make ALL the difference and it runs super quiet so yeah, my internal power is supported with the additional PSU and the Mac still looks relatively un-modded (apart from the clear panel obviously)

shortpballer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
All those power units that were on eBay are now sold. Crazy. That didn't even last a day for all 20.

For now I will just try and run it on my internal power, pulling power from the second optical bay. You guys had said that this should work, so lets hope that it does.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
It's too bad there isn't a simple PCIE card to pull the 75 watts available from unused slots.

Titan does need the power. If you look at the barefeats test again he is mentioning a GTX780 6GB, a different card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.