GTX Titan X flash?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMike G5, Nov 18, 2016.

1. PowerMike G5 macrumors 6502

So I recently acquired a GTX Titan X for my Mac Pro and I have had 0 issues so far... nice card and the CUDA acceleration seems really nice and fast for Adobe Premiere Pro editing/rendering 4K video.

I'm using it the same way as my GTX 980... web drivers only. Never thought about flashing it.

I started looking into flashing, but it seems that the only benefit at this point is enabling a boot screen? Am I correct in this?

I noticed MacVidCard's site mention that it will fun at PCIe 2.0 speeds, but I believe the card already runs at 2.0 speed with the latest webdrivers. Can anyone else with the experience with this elaborate? Thanks!

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have a list, but it is old and some of the items are now outdated due to more recent revelations like Clover boot screens and also changes in Sierra where it inits the GPU earlier than before.

It's not all positive change, some is negative. For example one person recently tested the PCIe 2.0 speed and noticed it is no longer true in OS X. If this is important to you I suggest you test it yourself to see.

So take this list with a grain of salt since it is historical--I do not keep it up to date:

------------------

• Proper listing of card model in OS X system information.
    • Full PCI 2.0 speed in every operating system (without EFI, the PCIe speed is cut in half for Windows and for older versions of OS X).
    • For Nvidia Maxwell cards, the ability to boot into OS X and see the GUI without default Apple drivers loaded.
    • Ability to install Windows in EFI mode instead of BIOS emulation mode, with related benefits such as fast boot, faster drive access (AHCI mode), no weird hybrid partitions, support for more than 4 partitions, and support for partitions greater than 2TB in size.
    • Ability to use the 1,1 to 2,1 firmware upgrade utility.
    • Ability to use the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware upgrade utility.
    • Boot screens:
      • Ability to do a clean install of an operating system.
      • Booting into the recovery partition so you can use one of its many features: restore from a Time Machine backup, reinstall OS X, set a firmware password, or use Disk Utility to repair your drive.
      • Selecting an operation system at boot time for dual-boot systems, or any time you insert a boot disk or USB thumb drive.
      • Ability to see in Safe Boot mode.
      • Ability to see in Single User mode.
      • Ability to see in Verbose mode.
      • Ability to see the password prompt for systems with the firmware password enabled.
      • Ability to see the password prompt for systems with Full Disk Encryption, such as Filevault.
      • Ability to see in any number of bootdisk-based utilities, such as AHT (Apple Hardware Test), MemTest86, CloneZilla, any number of Linux Live discs, etc.

3. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

It's only a cosmetical problem with (flashed) Titan X. System Info indicates 2.5 GT/s, but CUDA-Z shows full 5 GT/s:

SI.png CUDA-Z.png

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Thanks Synchro--I'm actually aware of the cosmetic problem. The person tested PCIe speed by using both of MVC's two recommended methods (Oceanwaves OpenCL benchmark and CUDA-Z). In both cases it came up short, so he suspected that whatever driver changes enabled PCIe 2.0 in earlier versions of OS X might have stopped working in later revs of ElCap.

Just in case it was a 1-off anomaly, he asked other people to test too, but unfortunately nobody did. Are your screen shots from a recent test? It would be great if someone could do a new test and confirm his problem is his own, or if it's a new issue affecting everyone. (I'd do it myself, but this is about unflashed cards and I have a flashed card.)

Here is the beginning of the discussion, if you are interested:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...graphics-cards.1440150/page-136#post-23684499

5. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the info!

I just did what you asked and I'm also getting the full 5 GT/s on this card, so I guess we get full 2.0 speed on unfleshed cards.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 10.11.10 PM.png

6. Synchro3, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

Ok, my first test was on my main system OS X El Capitan.

Now tested again in Sierra, with newest 367.15.10.15f01 driver. No abnormalities with my flashed card so far:
    Ocean.png CUDA-Z.png

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Shouldn't OpenCL performance be much higher on the Titan X?
    I'm getting twice as that with K5000 under the same OS and web driver version.

8. Synchro3, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

You're right. On my main system El Capitan I get much more fps:

Ocean.png

Software issue?

Luxmark 3 results in Sierra are afaik within the expected scope:
    Luxmark 3.1 Ball.png Luxmark 3.1 Sala.png

9. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

So regarding power usage, would flashing the card affect that in any way possible? As in, will it affect how the card draws its power between the PCIe slot, 8pin and 6pin connectors, distribution-wise? I assume no, but one of you guys may know otherwise.

I've been running of the internal power, using a 6 to 8 pin cable with no issues so far. But have been wondering if I should use a dual 6pin to 8pin cable and pull power from SATA in the optical bay for the 6pin connector.

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Power draw is possible, but you'd need to undervolt BIOS of the card. Adding EFI to the stock BIOS won't affect power usage. Maxwells do undervolt quite well AFAIK.

11. Theoprofil macrumors member

Theoprofil

Guys i am the person that i ask from other people to do the same tests i did to my mac pro 5.1 So far no one respond. Finaly i did the test again at another mac pro 5.1 (i own 4 mac pro 5.1) and i discover that i had PCI 2.0 speeds. So i guess it was a mac pro 5.1 with a problematic board.
    I will do also the test to the other 2 mac pros 5.1 i didn't test it yet to be 100% sure.

12. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

We know that Kepler is fully supported by the driver. Maxwell is enabled but not optimised. Even in OpenGL the Titan X is performing well under expectations.