"Guaranteed" pre-order for in-store pickup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by najicta, Sep 11, 2014.

1. najicta macrumors member

Dilemma: I work, my husband works, no way I'm desperate enough to take a day off to wait for a phone to arrive via fed ex or whatever... If I choose to have my pre order pick up in-store, will it be there at 6:30pm when I can get there? There is that tricky little asterisk after the statement on the apple website that suggests a possible snafu waiting to happen... Anyone have confirmation that it will be saved for you in this situation?

2. bryancee macrumors regular

I think last year they had a thing where u can get it before 6PM. Not sure if thats right or not. I am sure someone on here knows better than me.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

When the iPhone5 launched, there were some people that claimed they were offered the ability to pick up at the store. Once ordering began, though, the servers were so slammed, very few if any were able to do this. The order system was constantly hung, and selecting a pickup store, etc, just made it worse. You're better off ordering it for home delivery, then once you get the tracking number, contact Fedex and request that they hold it at a Fedex location so you can pick it up. I know Fedex allows this for deliveries requiring signatures, and I would imagine UPS has a similar service.

But to answer your original question, if you successfully place your order, then they should have your phone at the apple store with your name on it. i think the asterisk refers to supplies available for order. Once you pay, they're not giving your phone away.

4. najicta thread starter macrumors member

Pfft didn't matter anyway. Selected pick up in store during my pre order, thought I was all set... Got my confirmation email from apple "Shipping w/ delivery on 9/19 to PO box...." Then had to wait on hold for around 45 minutes total today in order to change the shipping address. Whatever. We'll see what happens.