Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Ming thinks a new iPad mini is coming in Spring 2019. What processor do you think will be in it? Any chance of the A12 making its way into the mini? Also what price do you think it will start at?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Unless they make this into a sub 170 tablet I don’t see this happening. I think super entry level tablet. Touch ID, laminate screen, headphone. Basically cheaper components but perfect for kids and new to tablets owners (ie older gen).

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I hoping for an iPad Mini Pro to be released in 2019-2020-2021! Apple does not like the Mini however! There will be more buyers of the Pro model then of the Budget model Mini! Most Minis are use in customer service functions and in the professional ranks then are aimed at first time tablet buyers category. Apple would be plain "stupid" to introduce another "budget" iPad on top of one release just 6 month ago.

I think the new iPad Mini Pro will start out at $800 and with everything the top of the line will be $1,400.

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
A12, 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, face id, pencil support, X design and base price of $800!

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
Ming isn’t always right. There isn’t going to be a mini, just like there isn’t going to be a iphone SE. Cook said himself, bigger iPhone screens canabilzes the mini, and we all know Apple isn’t afraid to kill off products.

Reactions: HarryWild

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Ming isn’t always right. There isn’t going to be a mini, just like there isn’t going to be a iphone SE. Cook said himself, bigger iPhone screens canabilzes the mini, and we all know Apple isn’t afraid to kill off products.
Apple watch will eventually cannibalize the iPhone! Just like the Dick Tracy wrist watch!

Reactions: Cape Dave

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Unless they make this into a sub 170 tablet I don’t see this happening. I think super entry level tablet. Touch ID, laminate screen, headphone. Basically cheaper components but perfect for kids and new to tablets owners (ie older gen).

Same as the current 9.7 inch 2018 iPad:
Thicker than current case.
Lower-cost non-laminated display with Pencil support.
Home Button with Touch ID
A10 Fusion
2GB RAM

The question is storage, and that's what will determine price compared to the 9.7 inch 2018 iPad.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I assume it will basically be a mini version of the iPad 7, launched alongside it. A11 chip (possibly the 3GB version if they are now phasing out 2GB devices?); iPad mini 2 chassis (no laminated display); pencil support (why pass up the opportunity to sell a $100 accessory?).

As for pricing, I see it as difficult to undercut the 9.7" iPad by much - either it might be $299, or it might be the same price as the larger model but start at 64GB of storage? Maybe they will even just make it the same price so you just choose which size you prefer all else being the same?

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I assume it will basically be a mini version of the iPad 7, launched alongside it. A11 chip (possibly the 3GB version if they are now phasing out 2GB devices?); iPad mini 2 chassis (no laminated display); pencil support (why pass up the opportunity to sell a $100 accessory?).

As for pricing, I see it as difficult to undercut the 9.7" iPad by much - either it might be $299, or it might be the same price as the larger model but start at 64GB of storage? Maybe they will even just make it the same price so you just choose which size you prefer all else being the same?
I hope that not the case. I want a state of the art Mini Pro model! Apple would be not making any model selling budget mobile devices since Apple mobile devices are looked at as luxury goods. I maybe wrong but I would not buy a budget iPad Mini! It lacks the true Apple standard! The 2018 iPad was aim at the educational marketplace!

Reactions: Cape Dave

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I hope that not the case. I want a state of the art Mini Pro model! Apple would be not making any model selling budget mobile devices since Apple mobile devices are looked at as luxury goods. I maybe wrong but I would not buy a budget iPad Mini! It lacks the true Apple standard! The 2018 iPad was aim at the educational marketplace!
Well, the rumor OP referenced called for a lower-cost panel in the display than the current mini, so it doesn't sound like a pro (if the rumor is accurate)...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Almost certainly not going to happen, if for nothing else then because a keyboard attachment at that size is impossible and that's a big part of the pro sell. As Pros are also targeted at productivity the larger screens for split view applications also seem to be a big part of the package. But I don't think it'll be a bad product, you'll get a very powerful but tiny device that will last years and probably be able to use the pencil (1).

Reactions: tromboneaholic

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Same shell as iPad mini 2 (not the mini 4)
Same internal as 2018 iPad (A10, 2GB RAM, 32GB base, camera, etc)
Apple pencil support
32GB $299, 128GB $399 for wifi version (Basically $50 less than the 2018 iPad price points)

While we're at it, might as well
iPad Pro 9"
2018 iPad Pro design, mini size
Same internal as 2018 iPad Pros, but lower clocked A12X to save battery/heat.
New Apple pencil support
64GB $699 and so on ($100 less than the 11" iPad Pro price points)

Reactions: saintforlife

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This is basically what I was going to say too.

Reactions: Falhófnir

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm guessing the spring iPad mini will have the same specs as the current iPad mini.
The fall iPad mini however might have different specs. Same internals as the regular iPad, and iPad mini 3 chassis.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ming thinks a new iPad mini is coming in Spring 2019. What processor do you think will be in it? Any chance of the A12 making its way into the mini? Also what price do you think it will start at?
I'm grudgingly in the camp that believes there will be no new iPad Mini. Here are my reasons...

No longer any competition. The iPad Mini was produced in response to the growing sales in 7" Android tablets. The Mini became successful enough to squash the 7" Android tablet market. There is no longer a need to keep it around.

No viable position in the lineup. With the release of the 2018 iPad at $329, there is no place for the Mini at a price point that will be attractive to the general consumer. Even if Apple were to give the Mini the "2018" treatment, they're not going to drop the price to less than the 9.7" iPad. Having a more expensive but smaller iPad is going to create "confusion" for Apple's customers and may have unintended side effects on the sales of the other iPads.

Yes, vertical markets make heavy use of the Mini but they most probably don't buy enough Minis to make more than a rounding error in Apple's financials.

If they were going to produce an updated Mini with Pencil support, they would've done it BEFORE releasing the low cost 9.7 iPad. They would have released a Mini that was cheaper than the iPad Pros but at, or slightly above the price of the Air 2. The addition of Pencil support would've been enough to justify the price for the smaller iPad. THEN, once the new Mini was out and selling, release the lower priced 9.7 iPad. That could've worked, doing it in reverse I don't think will.

It is at cross-purposes with the iPhone. I'm still amazed that so many people claim that the iPhone XS Max is the "new" iPad Mini. That demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how many people use the Mini. But yet, that is the type of gas-lighting that Apple encourages... because they want consumers who want a Mini to "settle" for the iPhone XS Max. There will even most likely be a LARGER iPhone yet that will force people to rely on the Apple Watch and AirPods to use such a mega-phone.

I hope that I'm wrong and there will be an updated Mini.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
No viable position in the lineup. With the release of the 2018 iPad at $329, there is no place for the Mini at a price point that will be attractive to the general consumer. Even if Apple were to give the Mini the "2018" treatment, they're not going to drop the price to less than the 9.7" iPad. Having a more expensive but smaller iPad is going to create "confusion" for Apple's customers and may have unintended side effects on the sales of the other iPads.

I somewhat share this view, but Apple hasn't dropped it from the lineup either. It's currently a "more expensive but smaller iPad" without Pencil support.
Instead of continuing to sell it in its current form, a refresh could be more profitable if they cut costs on the laminated display and can sell a few more Pencils.
In regards to price, I think they might play with the storage (like they did when they axed the entry level iPad Mini 4), so the base model continues to have more storage than the base iPad.

Reactions: Falhófnir

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I somewhat share this view, but Apple hasn't dropped it from the lineup either. It's currently a "more expensive but smaller iPad" without Pencil support.
Instead of continuing to sell it in its current form, a refresh could be more profitable if they cut costs on the laminated display and can sell a few more Pencils.
In regards to price, I think they might play with the storage (like they did when they axed the entry level iPad Mini 4), so the base model continues to have more storage than the base iPad.
I think Apple should go in the other direct of making a Mini Pro model. Apple is all about luxury and there is a large fan base of existing iPad Mini owners that have the $$$ and would pay a premium for such a Mini! Got to think it the same crowd as the Apple Watch 3? which people are buying the high end models - $899! You have a cross section of potential buyers but most Mini buyers will not be price sensitive so why lower the price even more then the existing Mini 4 MSRP?, make less margin and have a less appealing product? The user base is already establish like that of the Mac Mini! Apple increase the price of new Mac Mini like $250 more and it goes up to like $1,600+ for the top end Mac Minis depending on storage and CPU! Mac Mini was entry level Mac!

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I fully expect a mini pro with the same aspect ratio as the 11” Pro, with pencil 2 support. No keyboard though. And a redesigned budget model 9.7 also with pencil 2 support, unless Apple have a lot of pencil 1, in which case we won’t see a redesign until their stock gets really low.

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
I fully expect a mini pro with the same aspect ratio as the 11” Pro, with pencil 2 support. No keyboard though. And a redesigned budget model 9.7 also with pencil 2 support, unless Apple have a lot of pencil 1, in which case we won’t see a redesign until their stock gets really low.

I wonder, are there specific technical difficulties that Apple has to overcome in order to make the pencil 1/2 work with the iPad Mini screen? It has a higher ppi. (326 instead of 264)

Reactions: subjonas

tcmault

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Do you think there will be a 256gb, 512gb, or even 1tb option in the line up. I can deal with slower processing, I just need tons of memory for running map set while offgrid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.