Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I'd pay the current $400 price for a decent processor bump--hopefully A10 or better, if the storage and laminated screen stay the same. I love the form factor of the mini. It's perfect for ebooks and web browsing in bed. (I would only do this because I lost the only iPad mini I ever had--the first gen, so I'm currently without a mini. I think the mini 4 is still great for most of its tasks but could use a processor bump. I wanted to buy it but couldn't stomach buying a device that old for full price and am glad I have waited).

That said, in my ideal world, the Mini would get a pro form factor, usb-c, and Apple Pencil support. But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I just want pencil support and 3gb of ram. If they keep the Mini 4 case and screen, awesome. If non-laminated, I have no issue with that either.

If they go thinner and more like the 2017-18 iPad Pros, no thanks. There are so many hardware issues with these gen 2 & 3 iPPs, I refuse to buy them (again, in the case of the 2017).

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Depends. Will it be the budget model rumored? Or will it be a smaller version of the current pros with pencil 2 support? Hoping for the later, but not counting on it. Will update my ipad mini 2 no matter what.

If it does get apple pencil support, i really hope it’s apple pencil 2 support. Not only because i already have one for my 11” ipad pro, but because going back to the first gen seems so wrong. I can’t see Apple continuing to sell two versions of the Apple pencil for much longer. But that would mean a flat edged design to charge it. Don’t know if the latest leaks allow for that. If they are accurate that is.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Cannot see Apple going below $300 for any iPad.

During the height of the iPad craze, iPad mini 2 was down to $269. The Air 2 was $499. Apple learned to adjust its prices to match demand.

tpluth

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Carmichael, CA
I'd like to see a budget model for use as the "Pottie iPad" that gets left in the bathroom for some light reading.

It should be water, steam and disinfectant proof, though.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
During the height of the iPad craze, iPad mini 2 was down to $269. The Air 2 was $499. Apple learned to adjust its prices to match demand.

Not any more. It is not the same Apple and they’re charging more for worse build quality. If you get a cheaper model, you still get gimped, but at least some of these are based on older builds that have far fewer issues out of the gate now.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not any more. It is not the same Apple and they’re charging more for worse build quality. If you get a cheaper model, you still get gimped, but at least some of these are based on older builds that have far fewer issues out of the gate now.

iPad 2017 and 2018 are evidence Apple prices things based on demand. It just depends on the Apple product family.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
Probably would use the same CPU the iPad does (A10 Fusion?) and the same ram to keep costs down. Probably the same 32/128GB size options as well. I imagine the more parts commonality it has with the 9.7 inch iPad the cheaper they can make it.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
My guess is the Mini will go back to the Mini 2 case with unlaminated screen but with pencil support, A11 and 3GB RAM for $299 at 32GB. I say A11 because I’m also guessing the 9.7” gets a simple spec bump (and price bump to $349-$399) and Apple will spec these two the same and let them die off in 2-3 years without further updates.

More guesswork... the rumored 10” model will be the sweet spot mid-range model (the XR of iPads), bridging the gap between the base 9.7” and the Pro 11”. Minimal bezels with FaceID, A12 (non-X), 4GB and 64GB base storage for $599 to $649. They’ll skimp somewhere (camera, screen refresh rate, # of speakers, etc.) to keep the Pro clearly on top. The old 10.5” Pro will be dropped.

Ming, you can thank me now.

Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
It’s going to be a smaller version of the 2018 iPad.
A10
Non laminated display
2 gigs RAM
Maybe pencil support.
$299

I really don’t think it’s going to be much more than this.

lucas123

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
A11, pencil, 64gb, $329. No more 32gb. The 9.7 will become a 10.5" at $429. A11, pencil, 64gb.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
A11, pencil, 64gb, $329. No more 32gb. The 9.7 will become a 10.5" at $429. A11, pencil, 64gb.

Yeah, but do you think it will be the Apple pencil 2 or first gen Apple pencil? If the Apple pencil 2 that would mean a redesign ipad with a flat edge. I really don’t see Apple selling two kinds of pencils for much longer. The first gen pencil is so un Apple like compared to the new one.

Reactions: flur

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It’s going to be a smaller version of the 2018 iPad.
A10
Non laminated display
2 gigs RAM
Maybe pencil support.
$299

I really don’t think it’s going to be much more than this.

This is my guess as well, unless maybe it does have a laminated display because they reuse the same chassis from the Mini 4.

Reactions: JBGoode

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'm grudgingly in the camp that believes there will be no new iPad Mini. Here are my reasons...

No longer any competition. The iPad Mini was produced in response to the growing sales in 7" Android tablets. The Mini became successful enough to squash the 7" Android tablet market. There is no longer a need to keep it around.

No viable position in the lineup. With the release of the 2018 iPad at $329, there is no place for the Mini at a price point that will be attractive to the general consumer. Even if Apple were to give the Mini the "2018" treatment, they're not going to drop the price to less than the 9.7" iPad. Having a more expensive but smaller iPad is going to create "confusion" for Apple's customers and may have unintended side effects on the sales of the other iPads.

Yes, vertical markets make heavy use of the Mini but they most probably don't buy enough Minis to make more than a rounding error in Apple's financials.

If they were going to produce an updated Mini with Pencil support, they would've done it BEFORE releasing the low cost 9.7 iPad. They would have released a Mini that was cheaper than the iPad Pros but at, or slightly above the price of the Air 2. The addition of Pencil support would've been enough to justify the price for the smaller iPad. THEN, once the new Mini was out and selling, release the lower priced 9.7 iPad. That could've worked, doing it in reverse I don't think will.

It is at cross-purposes with the iPhone. I'm still amazed that so many people claim that the iPhone XS Max is the "new" iPad Mini. That demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how many people use the Mini. But yet, that is the type of gas-lighting that Apple encourages... because they want consumers who want a Mini to "settle" for the iPhone XS Max. There will even most likely be a LARGER iPhone yet that will force people to rely on the Apple Watch and AirPods to use such a mega-phone.

I hope that I'm wrong and there will be an updated Mini.
I see so many still at use in retail it’s there that there is still a demand

Reactions: sracer

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I’ve only had 2 iPads. The 3, which lasted a decent amount of time and still works. However after getting the 6+ I used it a whole lot less. And recently the 5th Gen. sold that as I wasn’t using it much and wanted one that works with a pencil ✏️. If the mini was a Pro and worked with the Apple ✏️ then I’d be definitely wanting it. 512GB please. I want it for drawing and housing all my music on. I’d like them to redo it, but 4 years out of the game is a long time without an update.

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
I think the overall strategy is the new iPad Mini will take over the current regular iPad 9.7’s price point and the updated regular iPad 10 will be bumped up a few hundreds.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I see so many still at use in retail it’s there that there is still a demand
Correct. My reference to "vertical markets" includes things like using the Mini for POS systems, inventory, etc.

And because they generally use specialized software, there is no need to regularly upgrade the internals. Apple could continue to sell the current Mini 4 to those markets for the next few years.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. If they do come out with a new mini I don't think it is going to be a budget version. I expect the cheapest model to start at $379-$429.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ming thinks a new iPad mini is coming in Spring 2019. What processor do you think will be in it? Any chance of the A12 making its way into the mini? Also what price do you think it will start at?

I think it will basically be the same iPad as now with the only adjustment being the ability to use the Gen 1 pencil just like the iPad (formerly known as the iPad Air). And will have the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.