Guess What I'm Doing Tonight?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xiovoix, Sep 16, 2009.

1. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Got this bad boy Today. But if any of you read my earlier posts the reason for this will become quite clear. Previously, I went to PCWorld to purchase but knew there was a stock quota of 3 from late June so I sat on it until now and saved myself £300. Thats £100 a month. Initally they quoted me £1379 for the privilege of owning this beauty but today got it for £1069(US$1764, AU$2024). This £300 is now going towards 8GB of Crucial ram and an M225 SSD and maybe fork out a little bit more for a decent graphics card. The machine comes in a brand new sealed box (I will post further pics) and manager told me it qualifies for the up to date programme.(True?). Anyhow even the box looks gorgeous and I am very happy I didn't get swayed by the lure of "The Nehalem". I had to hurry to get it today as another sold a few weeks ago and the other had been opened in the shop (always better to open yourself-like early Xmas pressie). This was a real cat and mouser over the past few weeks and several times I thought I had lost my chance. So there's one brand new 2008 2.8 octo(opened) left in the world. Mine might remain unopened until tomorrow or maybe not!:D;):cool:

Attached Files:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

£1000 is a bloody good price, makes up for the fact the Nehalem versions will completely destroy it :p

But for that price, who cares? What was the original apple price?

4. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

I've seen it quoted by others in the forum that US$2799. Last year here it was on the :apple: site for £1899 and even in the shop the price was still displayed as £1711.98. Nehalem phooey:p

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

WOW!! Great value! Congrats.

I just spent a grand on a motorcycle suit. Looks like we both will have fun! ;)

6. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

I have a bike too but no suit thanx to my new MP!:D Enjoy yer suit!;)

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Nice. They had them on a Business End of Life discount in the states. 1899 if I recall.

8. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

OK the realization of this bargain is just sinking in! Yeah sure old architecture, older memory etc but for the next 3yrs or so I know this machine will sort PT, Reason, Logic, Maya, Houdini, Poser, CS4 etc. Just need to get my act together to get ram and some SSDs(not to be confused with STDs).:)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you asked, "Guess What I'm Doing Tonight?" I wasn't so sure :p

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

You may be more fortunate than you realize. ;)

• Does well with hardware based RAID (no adapters needed to use the HDD bays)
    • Doesn't have the ICH10R bottleneck that's in the '09's, that's particularly applicable to SSD's in RAID, or even 6x fast HDD's. Limit = 660MB/s from the information out there, and is acknowledged by Intel.
    • Additional SATA ports available ('09's have no PATA interface for optical drives, so one of them <6 total> gets used for the Superdrive)
    • Uses EFI64 firmware, so you can still opt for future upgrades for graphics cards & will allow you to continue to use future versions of OS X in full 64bit
    • Upgrades are cheap, even 800MHz FB-DIMM ATM

11. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Don't open it up and in 15-20 years sell it for 10x what you paid for it.:D

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen. ;)

I'm getting a mental image of a kid on Christmas...RRRiiiipppppp. :p

13. goMac macrumors 603

Depends, but in general, the 2008 Mac Pros give you more bang for the buck. You need to get to the high end Nehalems to beat the 2008's.

And I say this as someone with a 2008 Mac Pro at home with a Nehalem Mac Pro at work.

14. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

I knew there was good reason to buy this machine apart from the budget but you illustrate the point beautifully there Nanofrog-ribbit, ribbit!:D

15. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

Was just thinking! Maybe I should go buy the other one and sell this one as it's unopened. Anyone need a 2008 Mac Pro?:) Nah that's too mercenary! But if anyone needs one I have the ear of someone at the store and they would hold it for them!

16. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

To be honest at the time of posting I wasn't so sure either because I was sitting downstairs drulling over my purchase while the missus was tucked up in bed. It felt like cheating:eek::D

17. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

And I was thinking it had something to do with his right hand. I was right, he opened up his new MacPro :D

18. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

I must admit my right bicep is getting a great workout LOL:D Cheers!

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

NP. :D

It's the best Intel based MP model Apple has released IMO. Best price, and capability to use 3rd party add-ins without some additional costs for adapters to get it to work. :)

20. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Dude nice buy there :)

Where about in the UK did you pick this up from?

Forgive my ignorance - but it is a 2.8 8 core, right?

21. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

Hey man! Peace to the Pool brethern:) Yeah! 2.8 octad brand new-sealed box, totally untouched by human hands since it left :apple:. Sprucefield NI just outside Lisburn-PC World of all places. There is 1 left! Want it?:D

22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Not to mention that there's both FW 400 & 800 (not a big deal, but kind of handy if you have 400 devices) and don't need the stupid mini display port adaptors for 3rd party displays.

I plan on continuing to use my '08 for the foreseeable future and feel zero upgrade lust for the current models.

If you're using it for music apps it's still total overkill and at that price, a heckuva (job Brownie) value.

Nice find.

23. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

I'm extremely pleased with the machine! 8gig of ram arriving on Monday from crucial. Just hope I can also use the stock ram in conjunction with it to get me to 10gig and then wait a while for price drop(maybe)!

Yeah maybe overkil for music since my 2008 MBP has sufficed until now!

24. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have 10 gigs in mine :D

25. xiovoix thread starter macrumors regular

xiovoix

10 is a nice number; 16 seems perfect but I,m heading to route 32 via junction 8gig a month:D