"Guest Mode" Software Update for iPhone

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Here's my software enhancement request to Apple today http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Hi,

I would like make this enhancement request for a "Guest Mode" as part of a new software update. The idea is that an iPhone owner would be able to choose what's viewable on their phone (i.e. certain songs, video, photos, etc.) as well as hide applications that other people can see and use.

The reason being is that if the owner allows another person to use their phone; it won't cause perceived issues for the owner in any situation (i.e. letting children play with certain apps...after by accident accessing Safari which incurs data charges, friends accessing text messages against your privacy, etc).

This new feature can allows for a easier user experience that Apple can pride itself in about the use of the iPhone.

Thank you for your time.

Help out by pushing for this software feature! Do you guys think I should also email Steve Jobs? Maybe one of his secretaries will pass this along :)

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
There are parental controls already that you can do at least some of what you want.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I like this idea.

Perhaps a one touch feature that, once initiated, requires a passcode to access anything the owner chooses as private.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Interesting. Of course I only lend my phone to my friends who don't look at things like my messages because when they lend me their devices I'm sure they would expect the same from me.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Nobody ever touches my iPhone but me. Ever.
My girlfriend gets a hold of mine every once in a while but there's nothing on it that I wouldn't want her to see so this wouldn't really be that important to me. Despite that I can think of plenty of situations where this would be helpful for others.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Nobody ever touches my iPhone but me. Ever.

Same here. Guest mode is useless for me on my computers/ phones.

Though... never say never. Just not something I'd push for.

Ask for multitasking on the iPhone, iChat AV, a thinner design, a longer battery life, for Apple to insist third-part apps all save their state when the home button is pressed so as to be able to pick-up where left like the native apps, Bluetooth file transfer and a factory SIM unlock.

I am bored with having to "Jailbreak" and SIM unlock my iPhones.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
That sounds like a good feature. I'm surprised that nobody ever thought of it before.. on any device that I've heard of (mobile device).

Market it. :p

I don't have anything on my phone I wouldn't want others to see.. but still, I make sure that, when I give my iPhone to someone, that they are trustworthy.

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
WHAT??

I don't know of any phone that has a 'guest mode'.

If you don't want people to look at your stuff - don't hand over your phone!!

If you want to show them a game or something then stand there and watch em!!

There are a few features that I wish apple would implement (like SBSettings) - but as for a 'Guest Mode'?? Come On get real!

Sep 13, 2008
WHAT??

There are a few features that I wish apple would implement (like SBSettings) - but as for a 'Guest Mode'?? Come On get real!
I'm inclined to agree. Guest mode on a phone seems silly.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
WHAT??

I'm inclined to agree. Guest mode on a phone seems silly.
Looks like another case of "I wouldn't use it, so it's useless".

Get over yourselves. If you've read the thread you've seen that there are people who would find it useful.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Man some of yo guys sound like little kids. I dont care if someone wants to see my phone, just dont mess with my settings. Other than that do whatever you want.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Looks like another case of "I wouldn't use it, so it's useless".

Get over yourselves. If you've read the thread you've seen that there are people who would find it useful.
+1 thank you! Some people... smh

Anyways.. I'd use it for sure. I don't care about applications, I care about people going through my text messages...

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Why limit it to a 'guest mode'?

Ask for profiles. Much more useful, and can give the same function you are looking for. Not that people haven't requested profiles before, but your 'suggestion' is basically a dumbed-down version of a profile.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Ask for profiles. Much more useful, and can give the same function you are looking for. Not that people haven't requested profiles before, but your 'suggestion' is basically a dumbed-down version of a profile.
This makes the most sense.

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada

Even if the "guest mode" is just a water down idea, it's that; an idea to be improved upon. I like your thinking...I saw my software idea as the logical extension of a "guest account" in OSX. The iPhone is pretty much a hand-held computer right? I could easily see profiles in the mix.

Great feedback!

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003

Exactly what I was thinking. The "guest mode" seems like a useful idea to a niche audience, which is why I didn't like it. That's what the iPhone and Mac tend to lack the pantheon of options that windows has but it ends up cluttering up the interface and making the user experience more hectic.

However a profiles option similar to what Android has, where it changes what apps are visible, ringtone selection, background choice etc... Sounds like the Guest mode thought through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.