Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amccallum1

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
Great Post, Concorde Rules.

Your guide is worth reading even if someone isn't planning to build a big internal RAID, just to verify that the Rocket controller cards work in Macs -- that might be obvious to some, but not to someone like me who does modest modding, infrequently.

Why I'm so pleased to learn about the Rocket cards is that I've been looking for a PCIe card with **INTERNAL** SATA ports, just simply to add extra hard drives inside my Mac Pro. You can stuff extra drives into a Mac Pro's spare optical drive bay, as you show with your RAID mod -- but the issue is connecting them, since each optical bay only has one SATA connection (the 2008 Mac Pros had a couple of spare SATA ports on the motherboard, but they disappeared with the 2009 models).

There are other non-RAID reasons to add hard disks too: like multiple booting options. You can even use the software RAID in Mac OS (free!) to make 0/JBOD or 1/striped RAIDS.

I have always wanted to try building a 4-disk 0-on-1 RAID (stripe of mirrored pairs) and see if the Mac OS RAID software will do it. Maybe I'll try now......!

Thanks again,

amccallum1

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
Great guide, thanks.

Do you by any chance know whether Highpoint offers a card with TWO internal SATA ports that works in a Mac Pro?

I have tried to ask Highpoint itself, but it is a Taiwanese company and its Web support does not work; I don't think phoning them will help... the specs on their web site don't include Mac/Windows compatibility: maddening...

I'm asking because the 4-port 640L that you used is priced at $70 here in the USA, while Highpoint has a Winders 2-port version currently on offer at $20. Big difference if you don't need 4 ports, and i don't. If they had a 2-port Mac version at $20, or even at $30, that'd be a big help....

Thanks,

Maxpecas

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
France
The 2 ports highpoint card is not based on the same controller. I think you will have bad result with. It's a PCIe x1 card with 9130 Marvell controller ( 380 Mbits Read, 230 Mbits Write Max).

I Will test some cheaper card based on Marvell 9230 this week. I hope that it's OS X compatible ...

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Great guide, thanks.

Do you by any chance know whether Highpoint offers a card with TWO internal SATA ports that works in a Mac Pro?

I have tried to ask Highpoint itself, but it is a Taiwanese company and its Web support does not work; I don't think phoning them will help... the specs on their web site don't include Mac/Windows compatibility: maddening...

I'm asking because the 4-port 640L that you used is priced at $70 here in the USA, while Highpoint has a Winders 2-port version currently on offer at $20. Big difference if you don't need 4 ports, and i don't. If they had a 2-port Mac version at $20, or even at $30, that'd be a big help....

Thanks,

It's probably going to be poor performance and pci-e 1x, which is 400MB/sec max.

The 640L is the cheapest 2x card and it just happens to have 4 ports.

amccallum1

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
It's probably going to be poor performance and pci-e 1x, which is 400MB/sec max.

The 640L is the cheapest 2x card and it just happens to have 4 ports.

Gottit thanks. It can't hurt to have a couple of unused ports for a while... future-proofing... thanks again.

iVirusYx

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Hey!Great post!

But since January 2013, if you have a MP2009 or later (you need PCI-Express 2.0), you can use the Sonnet Tempo SSD, if you just want to upgrade to a bootable 6GB/s drive.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html

There are two models, one card for one SSD and the other for two SSDs with RAID support.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Hey!Great post!

But since January 2013, if you have a MP2009 or later (you need PCI-Express 2.0), you can use the Sonnet Tempo SSD, if you just want to upgrade to a bootable 6GB/s drive.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html

There are two models, one card for one SSD and the other for two SSDs with RAID support.

Apart from it costs 3-4 times more.

Prefer my solution still tbh.

hamx0r

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
2 lanes or 4?

According to Apple (see below links) PCIe slots 3 and 4 are PCIe 2 with 4 lanes, not 2 lanes. This would mean a total of 2GB/s. Also, per wikipedia, this includes the overhead bits and represents actual throughput. This would all imply one could put 2 SATA-III SSDs at 6Gpbs each for 2*6/8 = 1.5GB/s and make use of the full bandwidth of each drive. I'm aiming for a RAID0 configuration. Adding a 3rd SATA-III SSD would mean 3*6/8=2.25GB/s - just over what the PCIe v2 4-lane bus could support.

I have the HighPoint Rocket RAID on order and plan to try this out with 2 SATA III SSD's as a RAID 0. Has anyone else tried a RAID 0 on this card and have some speeds to post? how about 3 SSDs? I'll be sure to post results as i get them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP506
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2838
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_2.0

My current RAID0 setup using the 2 onboard SATA-2 drive bays (early 2009 Mac Pro) shows over 500MB/s:
FiGuxDE.png

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Everyone is well aware that the remaining slots are 4x.

The card (Rocket 640L and RocketRAID 640L use a 4x slot but a 2x chip.

Hence the 1GB/sec limit.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
UPDATE

It seems Marvell, who makes the controller chips for these cards has released a firmware update which also helps to solve the problem with cards fitted with the 88SE9230 series of SATA controllers and 10.8.5 and later DPs of 10.9.

If anyone has problems with the rocket 640L I can provide you with a USB stick image to help you flash the firmware. It however ONLY runs on PC hardware...

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I am in the process of moving my OSX and Windows drives over to a Rocket 640L and thought I would post a quick caveat to potential purchasers...

The stock of 640L that is held by Amazon UK is shipping with an out of date firmware which needs flashing before you can fully use the card in a Mac Pro. As shipped from Amazon UK it will KP on Wake from Sleep.

New firmware is available but the Highpoint firmware flashing tool is a 16-bit DOS application which means that while Windows7 Professional/Ultimate users can obtain the Windows XP Compatibility Tool from MS to run the application, Windows 7 Home users can't.

You can easily get round this by making a bootable USB Stick with a FreeDOS image on it but it NEEDS to be flashed in a PC. These DOS sticks don't boot on a Mac Pro. You might be able to get round it with a Virtual Machine running MS DOS but it is much simpler to borrow access to a PC.

As for Boot times, I can report that apart from the initial few boots which do indeed take significantly longer from Chime to Apple, once the Rocket card has realised that the attached drives are not changing, the POST and OS Startup times are no longer than a SATA III SSD attached directly to the standard SATA II sleds.

With my Samsung 840 Pro in a drive sled I was seeing 13s to the chime, 21s to the Apple and 32s to the Desktop. With the Rocket 640L I was seeing longer times for the first few boots but no difference afterwards. The time to desktop was one second quicker.

TRIM Enabler has no issues seeing the drives on the Rocket 640L and reporting that TRIM is supported.

Speeds with a single Samsung 840 Pro on the Rocket 640L using Black Magic Disk Speed Test are 468MB/s writes and 503MB/s reads.

I will report back once I have updated the firmware.

Rainzero

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Hello guys,

i have a mac pro 4,1 and i would like to upgrade disk system with raid card and 2 SSDs.

Who have similar setup or one SSD setup can provide few photos of final setup in the case? Is the best solution to use the dvd carry?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english: italian guy :)

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
If you are thinking of using a Rocket card and two SSDs then I would certainly suggest putting the Rocket card in your top PCI slot and running a pair of SATA3 cables up to the optical drive bay as Concorde Rules showed us at the beginning of this thread.

There is plenty of room below the optical drive to put two SSDs in a 5.25" to 3.5" to 2x2.5" holder but if you don't use your optical drive any more you could remove it and enjoy the easy access to the entire bay.

I am waiting for a holder for my SSDs and will be posting pictures when I have installed the drives. I took the optical drive out and put it away. I took power for both SSDs from one of the optical drive connectors and ran the data cables up from the PCI bay through the little hole as Concorde Rules showed.

It all fits very nicely and is completely reversible if you ever change your mind.

Remember that the current Rocket cards may need flashing to get round the Kernel Panic on Wake issue and you will need an actual PC to flash them. Once you are done, the card will be fine in your Mac Pro.

Rainzero

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
If you are thinking of using a Rocket card and two SSDs then I would certainly suggest putting the Rocket card in your top PCI slot and running a pair of SATA3 cables up to the optical drive bay as Concorde Rules showed us at the beginning of this thread.

There is plenty of room below the optical drive to put two SSDs in a 5.25" to 3.5" to 2x2.5" holder but if you don't use your optical drive any more you could remove it and enjoy the easy access to the entire bay.

I am waiting for a holder for my SSDs and will be posting pictures when I have installed the drives. I took the optical drive out and put it away. I took power for both SSDs from one of the optical drive connectors and ran the data cables up from the PCI bay through the little hole as Concorde Rules showed.

It all fits very nicely and is completely reversible if you ever change your mind.

Remember that the current Rocket cards may need flashing to get round the Kernel Panic on Wake issue and you will need an actual PC to flash them. Once you are done, the card will be fine in your Mac Pro.

Many thanks!

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Some extra information for folks considering using the Rocket 640L card...

As it ships, it will be using firmware of roughly the following revisions...

Bios 1.0.0.1008
Firmware 2.3.0.1028
Bootloader 1.0.1.0002

With this version of the firmware it will boot in both OSX and Windows and show all drives as Internal but will KP on Wake from Sleep in OSX.

As Concorde Rules has posted, there is an updated firmware available from Marvell for the 88SE9230 controller which will update the firmware to the following revisions...

Bios 1.0.0.1013
Firmware 2.3.0.1046
Bootloader 2.1.0.1004

This revision will boot in both OSX and Windows and Wakes from Sleep perfectly BUT it will show all attached drives as External. This means you get the big orange icon for every drive that is attached and can Eject the drives, even the boot drive. This fault is present in both OSX and Windows.

I have sent a fault report in to Marvell to see if they are aware of the issue or even if it is intentional. It may be a function of hot-swapping drives and be desirable behaviour under those circumstances.

I will report back when I have heard from Marvell.

moggis2

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
There is no link if you read the thread...

PM me or Daniel who has the files.

Could someone please send me the files? (Sorry about posting; I don't have enough posts for PM yet, but the KP on wake is really annoying and I want to fix it ASAP :) ).

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Has anyone tried the 640L with Highpoint's "WebGui" software?

It will send you emails of Errors and failures, allows you to configure the RAID, etc. I use it with my Rocketraid 2314 and I love it.

In fact, has anyone tried hardware RAID with this? Will the settings transfer to Windows? (ie: Can I have a RAID-0 that works in both OSes?)

WaveMechanic

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
Dual Marvell 9230 Cards, Driver Updates + Slow Boot Issue

Kudos to Concorde Rules and all the other contributors - this is an excellent thread and much appreciated, if only in hindsight.

Before reading this, I installed two PCIeX 2X cards with a total of eight SATA 6G ports, six internal SATA and two external eSATA, into a Mac Pro 4.1 Dual Xeon 2.26 w/16GB PC1033, with mostly satisfactory results.

Here is my experience.

The cards I chose were the Marvell 88SE9230-based Syba SI-PEX400057 (4 internal SATA ports) and Syba SI-PEX400058 (2 internal SATA + 2 external eSATA ports), which sold w/rebates etc. for under $30 ea. incl. S&H (NewEgg). The early 2009 Mac Pro itself, and the drives and cards were all chosen to maximize performance/$ potential. This rig is relatively cheap.

The cards host seven SATA 6G drives: internally there is a Samsung 840EVO bootcamp drive (minimum 206MB HSF partition + Win 7 SP1 Ultimate on the NTFS balance); a Crucial M4 64GB for OSX 10.8.5; a second M4 HFS scratch drive; a pair of 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HFS drives in a RAID0 array, and finally 2TB HFS and 3TB NTFS external drives via the two eSATA ports (limited to 3G by the enclosures' USB bridges, which I plan to jumper to restore 6G).

The MP's four internal bays are populated with 2TB HFS drives in an OSX software RAID0 array. I'm using MacDrive Pro 9 for Win 7 for read/write access to the HSF drives. Slughead, to answer your question in post# 72, MacDrive reads/writes to HSF drives including the Marvell RAID arrays so all drives are accessible to both OS's. Backup of OSX is to an external 1TB Time Machine drive over USB2. Win 7 takes its chances at present.

So this machine has a lot of storage, some of it quite fast. Planned use is video editing using Premier Pro CS6 in Win 7 and FCPX in OSX.

Physically, since both optical bays are filled (a DVD and BluRay burner respectively) the five internal drives are shoehorned into the PCIe bay where they benefit from its ventilation (the Barracudas do get warm). Power is from a tap off the ODD power harness, at the 2x2 connector where it plugs in the backplane board.

No photographs, please. Jobs would rise from the dead if he saw what I did to his baby.

The cards were purchased in early December 2013 and came flashed with BIOS v.1.0.0.1010, Firmware v.2.3.0.1031 and Boot Loader v.1.0.1.0002. Windows 64bit drivers are v.1.2.0.1037, and a web-based interface "Marvell Storage Utility" app, v.4.4.0.2013, provides (via an Apache instance) an interface to the controllers for setup and maintenance of the RAID arrays (and Marvell's "Hyperduo" (fusion disk) HD-SSD combos, which I don't use).

Slughead, this sounds the same as Highpoint's WebGui software, which I haven't seen. It too can email me error msgs. Uh, thanks, but no thanks.

The boot camp partition was set up on a drive mounted temporarily in the 2nd ODD position as usual. Subsequent changes in choice of drive were accomplished using CCC and Winclone 3.4. Booting was sensitive to slot choice: by experiment it seems Slot 4 for the boot camp drive's card and either lower numbered slot (I chose 2) for the other card was required by the Apple UEFI. Slot 3 is populated with a 4-port USB2 card, powered from the same ODD power harness tap as the drives.

I'd like to use a RAID0 array of the M4 drives for the boot camp drive and put OSX on the Samsung 840, but I haven't tried removing all other lowered-numbered drives to see if Boot Camp Assistant works on a Marvell RAID0 array. It seems unlikely given the limitations imposed by Apple.

Trying different drives for boot camp and using the Winclone "shrink partition" function may have caused an issue with Win 7's BCD, because drive id collision issues were experienced subsequently. I probably booted into Win 7 with both drives, host and clone, attached simultaneously. Live and learn. These were addressed with Mark "SysInternals" Russinovich's authoritative post on the subject:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2011/11/08/3463572.aspx

So: currently there is an unacceptably long boot delay into WIN 7: 30 sec. from chime to black-screen (OS selection); 145 sec. before the Marvell BIOS screens appear briefly; another 145 sec. of blinking cursor before a Win 7 green start bar, and finally another 20-30 sec. before Win 7 login appears.

Once it's started it's fast, but that's the longest boot time I've ever seen. Paper tape-driven PDP8's were faster (showing my age).

A reinstall of Win 7 on the boot camp partition is probably required. Before doing that (Win 7 updates and Adobe installs take forever) I will try to update the drivers, BIOS and firmware from higher-numbered driver and firmware versions at:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/listes-constructeurs/70-marvell/47-marvell

I hope this information is of use and/or interest. I'd like to learn of others' experience with (1) multiple Marvell 9230 cards; (2) slow boot issues with Boot Camp Win 64-bit OS on PCIe SATA 6G cards; (3) setup of Win 7 boot camp on Marvell 9230-based SSD RAID0 arrays.

WaveMechanic

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
No Syba Support for Firmware Update Fallback + 1050 Firmware Update

Syba Support responded to my request for an installer that will allow fallback to an originally-supplied firmware version with the reply, "Sorry, once you flash the BIOS, nothing we can do. There is no recovery program we can send you." Evidently, firmware update is a one-way process.

Firmware and BIOS versions in update image files like the one at station-drivers are displayed by using a text editor to search for ascii text="bios"

The image file on the station-drivers page displays BIOS v.1.0.0.1012 and firmware v.2.3.0.1043 (MSU reports my Syba SI-PEX40057 and SI-PEX40058 cards were both supplied with v.1.0.0.1010 and 2.3.0.1031).

An updater with BIOS v.1.0.0.1015 and firmware v.2.3.0.1050 is at:

http://www.win-raid.com/t7f13-AHCI-a...M-Modules.html

Scroll down to "C Marvell AHCI/RAID ROM Modules," then "B. Marvell 92xx (SATA3) AHCI/RAID Rom Modules." The first offering (31k) does not show any ascii listing of version, but the second (316k) does, as noted above.

Hope this information is of use and/or interest. Anybody manage to install Win 7 boot camp on Marvell 9230-based SSD RAID0 arrays yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

WaveMechanic

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
Win 7 Bootcamp Install Accomplished on Marvell 9230-based SSD RAID0 Array

Bootcamp does not allow setting up a 2xM4 Crucial SSD RAID0 array on a Syba SI-PEX400057, but this can be accomplished by using iPartition in OSX to partition the array into a minimum-sized HSF+ partition (about 215MB) with the balance partitioned as MS NTFS. Winclone can then restore a Win7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit installation cloned previously from a single disk.

This approach boots and runs properly but no change is seen in the long startup time with two Syba cards, nor was that delay affected by a clean Win 7 install. I may have to take the plunge and try the BIOS/firmware update but will report on other attempts at mitigating this delay as they are explored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.