GUIDE: HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by andrejkw, Nov 30, 2012.

1. thornslack macrumors regular

This is not true. I run the web drivers with my titan x and I have the hdmi audio enabled and working.

2. rkv, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

rkv macrumors newbie

Thornslack, would you be willing to share more details as to your cMP and how you achieved HDMI audio? Is your method applicable to my MacPro3,1?

Some questions for anyone are:

(1) I've only been using the GTX970's HDMI port. Some have reported success with audio over display port. Is there any reason to believe the GTX970's display ports might be providing audio when I'm not getting audio on the HDMI port? I would need to buy a display port to HDMI adapter in order to test.

(2) Mine is an Apple sourced MacPro3,1, is converting it to a Hackintosh like macOS install an option which would be likely to have a different result or offer alternative means for activating HDMI Audio? Given Apple is dropping macOS support for the cMP3,1, I'm open to more extreme approaches if they are likely to be fruitful. Note, since installing the GTX970, I am quite happy with both the performance and reduced noise levels of my cMP3,1. Although, I also hope to latch onto a cMP5,1 at some point as well.

3. Theoprofil macrumors member

Theoprofil

Then there are certain reasons we dont know so far that make HDMI work or not work with nvidia drivers. Frankly all my efforts without web drivers was ever succesful . Was also succesfull with AMD R9 280 X GPU. With nvidia web drivers i never managed to make it works for me...
    So we must consider that it is in common with which implementation of gpu has the HMDI kext to work in combination with nvidia web drivers ...

4. thornslack macrumors regular

HDMI audio can be a little persnickety. If you read this thread or search for my posts within it you'll see a lot of good advice for verifying that the kext is both installed and loaded. IIRC some maxwell based gpus didn't seem to work. I couldn't get this working on my 980, but it worked on my Tx and several other users 980ti's which lead me to assume it might be related to the cards themselves. Of course HDMI works natively in windows boot camp fwiw.

As per your questions @rkv,
    1.) doubtful. Both the dp and hdmi port are capable out outputting digital audio. Can't say without testing but I suspect if it's not working out the hdmi it probably isn't working out of a dp.

2.) can't comment. I have only experience with my 4,1 to 5,1

5. ADDvanced macrumors newbie

ADDvanced

Hi, I have a mac pro running 10.11 and I have audio through the HDMI cable when I am booted into windows 7, but not OSX. I'd like to try installing your kext but the download link no longer works. Does anyone have an updated link?

6. timothyreed macrumors newbie

I have tried every way I can think of to install this kext. It is installed in the extensions folder but still wont load. Looking at my kernel log I can see that it is refusing to load due to invalid signature! how do I fix this issue so that I can load this kext.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2016 ---
    doing a little digging I need to disable SIP in Yosemite. I thought that only El Captain had SIP enabled. Ill Post the results

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yosemite has Kext Signing, not SIP. It is a little bit easier to disable KEXT signing than disabling SIP.

Kext Signing was integrated into SIP when SIP was introduced in El Capitan.

8. Fangio, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Fangio macrumors 6502

Several participants in this thread are currently hosting version 1.1 of the HDMIAudio kext. The link in post #363 is still valid, as well as the ones in #458 and #508.

---
    As @ActionableMango said, no SIP in Yosemite. You'll need this command in terminal to disable kext signing:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

9. timothyreed, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

timothyreed macrumors newbie

Yes I found the solution last night. I had a brain fart sorry. I can confirm that disabling Kext Signing has fixed the issue. Works over DP and HDMI. I assume that this is the main issue for everyone who cannot get this to work.

Mac Pro 1,1
    OSX 10.10.5
    R9 280x flashed efi.
    Nvidia Drivers = None

1. Disable Kext signing or SIP
    2. Install HDMIAudio 1.1
    3. restart and enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. hansphaz macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    timothyreed would you be willing to provide the command that I need to enter into Terminal to disable Kext Signing?
    Thank you!

11. STek ZeNIO, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

STek ZeNIO macrumors newbie

STek ZeNIO

Here is "To disable the kext signing security setting" that I follow, and it works!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2017 ---
    In cMP (Mac Pro 5,1), Nvidia GTX 980 is NOT CAPABLE of passing audio through HDMI/Displayport on Sierra or El Capitan with latest Nvidia web drivers. Is it true?

As a matter of fact, I have made HDMI/Displayport audio work with the MSI GTX 680 beautifully... but not with Nvidia GTX 980. I followed this instruction in Guide: HDMI Audio - Page 20 - Post #479 and OP - Page 1 - Post #1 using HDMIaudio-1.1(kext), and of course disabling SIP first. The result was... no HDMI/Displayport device showed up in sound output on Sierra as well as El Capitan with Nvidia's latest web drivers. But HDMI/Displayport activated again when I connected back to the 680. Any of you guys able to make it work somehow? Which GTX 9xx are working for you with audio enabled?

The following are more detailed info of the involved:–

12. Riku7 macrumors member

I'm on a 2008 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Yosemite 10.10.5.
    An HDTV with a HDMI to HDMI cable. I was surprised to notice that booting this machine to Windows, the sound output got automatically routed to the TV. On Mac side however, I saw no options for switching audio output to HDMI, it just didn't exist.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this, I can confirm that I got it to work on Mac:
    I downloaded the still active link for this extension from this post, then followed the installation guide in the first post. After rebooting, however, the HDMI option still didn't show up. So I entered the following into Terminal:
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
    ...and rebooted again. Now it works. The only downside is that volume keys in the keyboard no longer work (you just get the volume icon overlay with the "forbidden" sign), so the only way to adjust the volume is from the TV itself (or its remote control).

13. thornslack macrumors regular

IIRC the only maxwell cards reported working with this are 980ti and Titan X.

14. STek ZeNIO, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

STek ZeNIO macrumors newbie

STek ZeNIO

Continue from Post #536 (See problem statement)...

Solved! Not complete but more than satisfactory. For Nvidia GTX 980 reference design's HDMI audio is not activated regardless of the HDMI version (1.4,2.0, etc.) but DP audio is. It is fully passing through (tested with DP1.1 & 1.2 certified), just plug 'n play. The sound processing is amazing! The related issues will be updated as experienced by time.

System: Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid-2012) | 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core | 32GB 1066MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 680 2GB | LG 34" 21:9 Ultrawide monitor

Update 1: You can keep SIP enabled as well, but not Kext and Apple Internal.

Update 2: DisplayPort (HDMI-Audio 1.1) is broken after waking up from "Computer sleep". So restart to get it back.

Update 3 (3/17/2017): Both DP and HDMI Audio are fully passed through on El Cap. (/w csrutil enable --without kext)

15. poop4 macrumors newbie

can confirm with unflashed 970 reference card on yosemite with newest nvidia drivers displayport to hdmi passes audio (straight hdmi does not)

16. thornslack macrumors regular

Sorry, should have clarified, I meant digital audio through the actual HDMI port for Maxwell cards.

17. natjonesart, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

natjonesart macrumors newbie

natjonesart

Just worked in Sierra on 4,1 flashed to 5,1 with GTX680, now getting audio through Display Port to Mini Display Port Cable to 2010 27 inch iMac in Target Display Mode. Thanks guys!

18. j3tang, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

j3tang macrumors regular

I've got a Mac Pro 3,1 on Yosemite with a XFX 6870.
    I get audio through HDMI, however, I do not have that option going through either of the two mini Displayports. Anyone ideas?

As an aside, this is the first time I've really tested out the mDP and wow, the graphics are soooo much more crisp than HDMI at the same resolution.

19. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

So, you don't have this option even the monitor is connected to the mini display port?
    Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 03.06.24.jpg

20. j3tang, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

j3tang macrumors regular

That is correct. I do have it when I connect with HDMI though.

Edit: should have mentioned that what I did was disabled kext signing and then installed HDMIaudio1.1 and then restarted.

Edit2: worth investing in a NVIDIA card (rather than the current Radeon) to see if I can get audio through DP? I've been eyeing a GTX 770

21. YZFNYC macrumors newbie

YZFNYC

Just noticed that I never replied to you guys. @ActionableMango @BrotherJerome @h9826790 @Fangio. Thanks for the reply all of you. I did get it working by using almost exactly the same method suggested above.

1. Boot into recovery partition
    2. Used Terminal type: csrutil enable --without kext
    3. password
    4. reboot
    5. Mine was already previously installed and just worked but if not
    5a. open HDMIAudio.dmg
    6. open terminal type: cd volume/hdmiaudio enter
    7. type: ./install.sh enter
    8. restart and viola
    (Displayport Audio one my Seiki Pro SM28UTR working in macOS Sierra 10.12.3 =D)

Sorry for being long winded but figured it be easier for some to get it in more detail.

22. Nev009 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    Perhaps this is getting greedy, but i'm wondering if anyone has been able to get TrueHD or ATMOS passthrough on OSX? I know its an OS limitation i'm told. I've tried to use voodooHDA to no avail. I also know that Plex can transcode TrueHD to a format that can be passed through via Optical Digital Audio or using HDMIAudio.dmg, passthrough over HDMI. I have a MacPro5,1 and my HDMI works great, but looking to take the next step. I know we'd probably have to use VLC or something, but any hacks anyone has used to do this?

23. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Yup. I only get Display Port Audio with my Gigabyte GTX 970. HDMI audio option does not show up.
    VoodooHDA kext works with 4 HDMI outputs (4th one works) but I cannot pass DTS / Dolby ATMOS / AC3 tracks to my receiver.

Maybe Nvidia driver issue or we need correct DSDT/kext patches to be used in config.plist of clover. I am doing a hackintosh btw.

24. thornslack macrumors regular

Not sure if this applies to you guys but I recently posted this to a similar, thread, maybe it will help you too.

I believe the only difference in this case is under Audio Output for you would select HMDI (encoded).

25. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Get DP to HDMI adapter or cable and connect your receiver to it. HDMI instantly recognised and activated. You need to install HDMIaudio kext too btw.

The only solution. I tried it today and it works.