[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. -HackerWayne

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hackerwayne, Jun 10, 2013.

1. alpez macrumors newbie

Hi

Is there someone who can tell me where to find EFI bootlog file.

it's not in system.log or in (kernel.log)

dmesg also

getting some "error ..." in the middle of the screen for 1/10 of a second

spent the whole day ... :-(((((

/alpez

2. Heshion macrumors newbie

Heshion

What I'm still fuzzy on is this. Most of the Chameleon threads I've read, say that when you use this method, it kills the sound for the machine. This is an audio production machine - for Pro Tools, etc. So I need the core audio totally unaffected.

3. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

The audio would be affected ONLY if you didn't have the proper dsdt.aml in place. If you follow the Chameleon install procedure from reputable places (such as Jabbawok's blog), you'll get all necessary components for a successful Mountain Lion (not Mavericks per se) installation. For Mavericks, you only need to slightly change the tutorial. Most notably, the name of the installer disk image volume doesn't begin with "Mac" anymore, and you need to look for mach_kernel inside an mpkg file using Pacifist. Other than that, everything's fine. Naturally, I'm assuming you are using an obsolete Mac Pro (mine is a 1,1 model). If you were using an iMac, MacBook/Pro or Mac Mini, you might need a different dsdt.aml.

4. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

If you are using a Mac Pro 1,1 then download the files from batmans link on, I think, page 4 of this thread. The dsdt.aml file there works fine for the Mac Pro 1,1. I used his files as the basis for my Mavericks install and it all works fine, including audio.

5. ofelas macrumors newbie

Mavericks on 2006 iMac

Anyone installed Mavericks on a 2006 iMac 20" ?

Thx, running Snow leopard on it right now.

6. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

You guys are awesome. I'm going to get to this as soon as possible. God bless you, beautiful people.

7. uncleshady macrumors newbie

Just heard news that Mavericks is a free upgrade. I still cant download it because my Mac is too old lol, but hoping that the community can come up with a way to get it installed on my older Macbook 3,1

8. kjricso macrumors newbie

Early Macbook 2008

I have a early macbook 2008 with lion 10.7 is there a guide to install Mac OS Mavericks on it?

9. Hennesie2000, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

Downloading the Public release on a MBPr right now. Will install it over my existing installation as an update later using a supported Mac.

UPDATE:
    Changed the values in my SMBios file to make the App Store think that I am on a supported Mac Pro and it let me download Mavericks directly from the App Store on my Mac Pro 1,1. I am going to try to run it as just an update to see if that works since I am on the 13A598 GM

10. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

thats what i want to know but for the original mac pro don't really get how to do it?

11. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

I'll see if I can put together a How-To

12. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

that would be great! thank you

13. yuser macrumors member

Interesting. I also have 13A598 installed on Mac Pro 1,1.
    Please post your findings. Thanks.

14. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

It let me run the installer but it didn't install it unless the version released to the public is the 598 version. Installing it on a MBPr and will check the build number on that one. On my Mac Pro it still shows the 598 build number after running the installer.

15. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Got OS X Mavericks running beautifully on my 1,1 Mac Pro (w/ an XFX unflashed 5770) after a LOT of fiddling with this & that using a mixture of batmanofzurenar's & jabbawok's guides.

[​IMG]

16. sega dude macrumors newbie

sega dude

Mavericks was released today for free! Can't wait for MavericksPostFactor to come out!

17. Galostro, Oct 22, 2013

Galostro macrumors newbie

18. chrisrand macrumors member

It would be super rad of you if you can put up a guide on how you did it, with attribution of course.

Thanks

19. Hennesie2000, Oct 22, 2013

So I was right... it let me run through the initial part of the install process but it does not update Mavericks. I am going to update using a Mavericks installer on a USB thumb drive and a support MBPr.

Another Update:
    So this is rather interesting and kind of cool. As I said before I changed the values in my SMBios file to refelect that of a supported Mac Pro. That allowed me to download and start the Mavericks Installer. However, when it restarted it just rebooted the older 13A598 install (I think this is because the Chameleon partion is blessed). I then pulled the drive and connected it to a MBPr through a USB 3.0 dock and when I held the option key to boot to the drive I noticed that the partiton name was "OS X Installer" instead of what I had named it, "Mavericks". So I chose to boot from the "OS X Installer" partion and it continued the Mavericks update like it normally would have on a supported Mac. Put the drive back in the Mac Pro and it booted up to the public 13A603 build. All is well again.

20. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Does it look likely that there will be no Mavericks Post Factor, because i cant be doing with having an extra drive for boot and all that kind of stuff for chameleon.

21. andreas79 macrumors member

Macbook mid 2007

So i have a macbook mid 2007...is there any hope to get mavericks to my mac???Mountain lion was working great on my mac...

22. Oculos macrumors newbie

Upgrading from a MLPF

Folks,

Thank you so much for the AMAZING info in this thread!
    I just ordered my 5770 so I can upgrade to Mavericks (I have a Mac Pro 1,1).
    I wonder one thing: Since currently now I use MLPF, can I use the install partition to get Maverick's installer and go from there? I mean, is the partition table used by MLPF compatible with the one required by Chamaleon?

Here's my partition table:

Code:
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS A vast field            1.5 TB     disk0s2
       3:                  Apple_HFS Mountain Lion           340.5 GB   disk0s3
       4:                  Apple_HFS install                 139.3 GB   disk0s4
    /dev/disk1
       0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *18.8 MB    disk1
       1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk1s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Flash Player            18.7 MB    disk1s2
    /dev/disk2
       0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *386.4 MB   disk2
       1:        Apple_partition_map                         30.7 KB    disk2s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Command Line Tools (... 386.3 MB   disk2s2
    This way, I would be able to not have to buy another drive and have it Mavericks installed over my current ML.

23. Hennesie2000, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

It is not likely there will be a MVPF.

You do not need a second drive for chameleon. I have a 1TB SSHD formatted as GUID with 3 partitions:

1GB HFS+ - Chameleon
    700GB HFS+ - OS X Mavericks
    299GB NTFS - Windows 7

Obviously the Windows partition is optional. To do a setup like this it does require a supported Mac todo the Mavericks install on the drive but it works great.

You have so much wasted space with that 140GB install partition. Chameleon needs less than 1GB but that's the smallest partition size when using disk utility. You don't need another boot drive for chameleon. I don't know why all of these guides say you do.

24. Oculos macrumors newbie

Can you tell us which method did you use?

25. gumparker macrumors newbie

Mavericks Testing Ideas...

First I wanted to say hello to everyone. I personally still use Snow Leopard. I am a firm believer that if it isn't broken don't fix it. I am running a 21.5 iMac 3.2/i3, 16 GB/DDR133, 1TB Internal HD. This computer is a champ. I am still able to use Rosetta for any PPC programs. I edit in FCPX 10.0.8 use Motion and the Full CS5 Suite. After adding a Pegasus raid drive for editing, my workflow if quite smooth. I admit there appears to be some nice new improvements which one can argue are really new features. Now to the point. I use Reason. When Reason 7 was released you had to upgrade to 10.7/Lion. The new features in Reason where impressive enough for me and I had to fold. So I found a work around. I installed my original Snow Leopard discs onto an external USB HD. I then upgraded to 10.7 Lion. Obviously I installed Reason 7 there after and now I can boot from my external into 10.7 or my favorite 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The bottom line. Find an inexpensive external HD and try it there first. We all know there is going to be plenty of bugs to work out. Quite frankly if your car is driving smoothly why change the engine. I hope this was helpful. If anyone would like help executing the above said and needs help creating a dual boot please message me and I will gladly walk you through the process. Peace.