Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I didn't mention before: I have OS X version 10.8.4 (on MLPostfactor)
is this version also vulnerable to the SSL bug?

Another question; My MLPostFactor installation was much faster than my previous 10.7.(Lion) installation. Your suggestion to reinstall to a fully 64 bit on this machine, I wonder if this slows down the performance?

(edit)
I have been searching for those 'appropriate kexts files' , patched Open GL/CL frameworks and Tiamo's boot.efi. So far I could only find Tiamo's boot.efi in a Mavericks post.
So now rest the X1600 (0x71c5) kexts and Open GL/CL ...

and... I rather continue this discussion in a non-MLPF thread, should I start a new one or can anyone suggest one to follow...

As far as your "slowing down" concern, to the contrary I can attest that as I own this exact machine, it runs OS X 10.8.5 without MLPostfactor exceptionally well and I would expect it performs just as any supported Mac running this Mountain Lion version.

Since you already have OS X 10.8.4 installed via MLPostfactor, the necessary files are already installed in your particular system. You just need to locate them. Perhaps someone with an OS X 10.8 MLPostfactor system could chime in and help you identify there location.

PS. Don't let my 2.33 GHz CPU confuse you…it's the same iMac with a CPU upgrade

Attachments

• iMac_Desktop.jpg
    iMac_Desktop.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 751

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Since you already have OS X 10.8.4 installed via MLPostfactor, the necessary files are already installed in your particular system. You just need to locate them. Perhaps someone with an OS X 10.8 MLPostfactor system could chime in and help you identify there location.
You've been very helpful so far! Is it possible for you to send me the necessary files? And a short description or a weblink to how to implement all this. (Since the guide for MLPF was pretty straightforward and almost fully menu driven, I guess this method involves some more tuning than average)

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
...oh and as far a beginning a "new thread", generally speaking this exact topic concerning unsupported Macs with ATI X1600 graphics running OS X 10.8 on their own accord without MLPostFactor is actually rather old at this juncture. If you were to scroll back into the "pages" here, you will note that it has been thoroughly discussed and diagnosed within this very same forum in the past quite extensively (even when MLPostFactor was still being actively developed). In a nutshell and when considering that Apple is done producing Mountain Lion versions, I believe is safe to state at this juncture that OS X 10.8.5 is the end of the road for Mountain Lion and as the the current MLPostFactor version, despite that it is not labeled as such will install OS X 10.8.5 using the OS X 10.8.4 tab in the .app, I believe it also safe to state that this project is now finished, complete, done. So basically there is really nothing further being done here except folks helping other folks with their respective installations which this certainly falls into that category.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
OS X 10.8.5 Installation guide for Macs w/ ATI X1600 Graphics

First and foremost in constructing/compiling your system, remember that google is your friend.

Use the app “Kext Wizzard” or the appropriate terminal commands for installing additional/needed kext files. It is also necessary to have another bootable OS system (Snow Leopard/Lion) so that you can mount your Mountain Lion system on it and have access to it while building it. I would recommend OS X 10.7.5 Lion as all the kexts files needed (except VoodooHDA.kext) are contained in that OS X system and therefore one would be "killing two birds with one stone" in that respect.

Starting with using the full OS X 10.8.4 (app store).app follow this excellent guide by dead.xx in creating your installer: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404548/.

***The ONLY difference one needs to make in the dead.xx guide is that instead of using the supplied "boot.efi" file found there instead, use Tiamo's "boot.efi" found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1598176/***

Once created, install OS X 10.8.4. Once completed, restart though restart to your supported OS system and not your Mountain Lion drive/partition at this point.

Using the .app “Kext Wizzard” and with your Mountain Lion drive/partition mounted on the desktop, select the appropriate mounted mountain lion drive/partition in the pull down tab, and install the following kexts found in OS X Lion 10.7.5 in the System/Library/Extension folder :

ATI1600Controller
ATIFramebuffer
ATIRadeonX1000
ATIRadeonX1000GA
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver
ATIRadeonX1000VADriver
ATISupport
*VoodooHDA .pkg 2.8.4*

(While installing the default OS X 10.7.5 Lion AppleHDA.kext will enable audio in OS X 10.8.4, my findings were that it does not work in OS X 10.8.5). Also and once the VoodooHDA.kext is installed, you will need to delete the supplied AppleHDA.kext in order for the system to instead load/use the VoodooHDA.kext.

Also and again while having the Mountain Lion drive/partition mounted, open the following folders in this sequence: System/Library/Frameworks and locate both the OpenGL & OpenCL folders and move them both to the trash and delete them. Once deleted, copy both patched versions of the same namesake (Google !!!) into the same System/Library/Frameworks folder.

That basically should get anyone with an unsupported Mac possessing ATI X1600 graphics a “non MLPF” OS X 10.8.4 64 bit OS system that I have estimated @ 100 % full functionality.

To update that to OS X 10.8.5, head on over to: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/ AND ON page 139 of that forum refer to the following specific post and dialogue between myself and Rastafabi # 3456, 3457, & 3459 to update your OS X 10.8.4 to OS X 10.8.5. Done.

Reactions: G4fanboy

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks a lot for your help gpatpandp!
I'll post my results when finished (probably next weekend) : )

nikolaki83

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
3) Login into ML Port Factor Install partition in ours macs

4) Select Utilities -> Terminal

5) Into /Volumes/-MAC-/System/Library/CoreServices, copy SystemVersion.plist to SystemVersion.plist.org

--> This plist file copied to .org contains correct 10.8.5 information

When i login into MLPF partition and use terminal how to get into volumes, how to chose the volumes?

in terminal i get something like bash and some numbers and when i use ls i get only .forward and Lybrary which is not that libraty is the one from the MLPF partition.

rudeboy2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
the security update 2014-1 bricked my installation, I had to restore from Time Machine. Anyone else installed it? This is kind of a bummer because it fixes the infamous goto fail ssl bug …

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Had a feeling this was going to occur...

the security update 2014-1 bricked my installation, I had to restore from Time Machine. Anyone else installed it? This is kind of a bummer because it fixes the infamous goto fail ssl bug …

As I wrote/described/warned on the previous page of this very same thread, the Mountain Lion 2014-001 Security Update also bricked my iMac (late 2006) w/ ATI X1600 graphics 64 bit (non MLPostFactor) install though returning back the patched OpenCL.framework and both the ATISupport.kext and the ATIFramebuffer.kext restored my install back to perfect functional/operational condition.

MLPostFactor's functional/practical use might have finally hit the proverbial wall. To be brutally honest, I tested a OS X 10.7.5 Lion system against I believe it was a MLPostFactor OS X 10.8.2 system at the time and I found no measurable difference in speed whatsoever. Whether it be a OS X Lion operating system or a MLPostFactor 10.8 Mountain Lion system, a 32 bit mode operating system is just that no matter how you spin/slice it. And when considering you loose the ability to install apps like Little Snitch, cannot repair permissions from the system disk utilities any longer etc. etc. to be frank I just do not see the point.

In my opinion, it simply is not worth to remain dangerously vulnerable to attacks just to maintain the bragging rights that your old Mac is running OS X 10.8. Further to that please note that Apple also released a Lion 2014-001 Security Update that would resolve any risk issues.

Last edited:

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Also and again while having the Mountain Lion drive/partition mounted, open the following folders in this sequence: System/Library/Frameworks and locate both the OpenGL & OpenCL folders and move them both to the trash and delete them. Once deleted, copy both patched versions of the same namesake (Google !!!) into the same System/Library/Frameworks folder.

Can you be a little bit more specific on which OpenGL/CL I need..?
Maybe you can provide a link, or specify version or patch nr.?

This, while I'm preparing for the Big Upgrade...!

rudeboy2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
In my case (early-2008 Macbook) the Security Update 2014-001 (Mountain Lion) installed without problems. All works fine.
which OS X version are you running? I have late 2006 MacBook, which has a GMA950, which is different from your early 2008 which comes with a X3100. Is there anyone with a GMA 950 Macbook who successfully installed the latest security update?

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
which OS X version are you running? I have late 2006 MacBook, which has a GMA950, which is different from your early 2008 which comes with a X3100. Is there anyone with a GMA 950 Macbook who successfully installed the latest security update?

Not knowing exactly how, what, or where MLPostFactor installs on any given system I cannot be of direct assistance for your situation however at the very least, you can open the Security Update with Pacifist to see what newer files related to your Intel GMA 950 system it replaced and if you know where to look/find them you could try returning the original files (whatever/wherever they may be) in attempting to restore your system yourself.

Oh and as far as others successfully installing the update where yours was unsuccessful, unless you did something unconventional or erred in some unusual way it is almost a certainty that anyone else with Intel GMA 950 graphics will experience the very same results upon applying the update as you have

Last edited:

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
(While installing the default OS X 10.7.5 Lion AppleHDA.kext will enable audio in OS X 10.8.4, my findings were that it does not work in OS X 10.8.5). Also and once the VoodooHDA.kext is installed, you will need to delete the supplied AppleHDA.kext in order for the system to instead load/use the VoodooHDA.kext.
I still prefer using the AppleHDA. ;)
Here are the files to enable it on 10.8.5.

Attachments

• AppleHDA.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 761
Reactions: G4fanboy

krackpot

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014

I did. I have a Macbook 2,1 (GMA 950). Do a time machine backup and make sure you have another mac handy or can boot into the old Lion install.

I was on 10.8.2 or 10.8.3.

1) Grab MLPF 0.3 and run it to install it on a USB drive or on the Install partition (see first post on the steps). I had an old 10.8.4 .dmg ML package in the Applications directory.
2) I did the combo update to 10.8.5 from AppStore
3) Reboot will not boot machine, so boot off the EFI "Install" partition by holding the "option" key when the system starts up.
4) Run MLPF, do the option on your "ML" or "Mountain Lion" partition, selecting 10.8.4 (it will work despite the fact that you have 10.8.5 combo update installed, this step only fixes the ML partition so you can boot off it)
5) Reboot.
6) Once logged in, you'll need to edit the strings to make it "10.8.5", as MLPF will insert the "MLPostFactor v0.3" String in the version number. The file is SystemVersion.plist and I used TextEdit to modify it.
7) Apply the 2014-1 update, and that's it!

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
This is working unbelievably well. Has anyone been able to go on up to Mavericks at this point? I have heard rumored that it runs at Snow Leopard speeds on old hardware.

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Macbook3,1 (X3100) fresh 10.8.5 install with MLPF, edit systemversion.plist and all updates fine. Happy camper, and it DOES run much smoother then 10.7.5

Is this project done and finished? Well, if it was updated to support 10.8.5 natively, then it would be done.

ta-bas-co

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
First and foremost in constructing/compiling your system, remember that google is your friend.

Use the app “Kext Wizzard” or the appropriate terminal commands for installing additional/needed kext files. It is also necessary to have another bootable OS system (Snow Leopard/Lion) so that you can mount your Mountain Lion system on it and have access to it while building it. I would recommend OS X 10.7.5 Lion as all the kexts files needed (except VoodooHDA.kext) are contained in that OS X system and therefore one would be "killing two birds with one stone" in that respect.

Starting with using the full OS X 10.8.4 (app store).app follow this excellent guide by dead.xx in creating your installer: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404548/.

***The ONLY difference one needs to make in the dead.xx guide is that instead of using the supplied "boot.efi" file found there instead, use Tiamo's "boot.efi" found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1598176/***

Once created, install OS X 10.8.4. Once completed, restart though restart to your supported OS system and not your Mountain Lion drive/partition at this point.

Using the .app “Kext Wizzard” and with your Mountain Lion drive/partition mounted on the desktop, select the appropriate mounted mountain lion drive/partition in the pull down tab, and install the following kexts found in OS X Lion 10.7.5 in the System/Library/Extension folder :

ATI1600Controller
ATIFramebuffer
ATIRadeonX1000
ATIRadeonX1000GA
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver
ATIRadeonX1000VADriver
ATISupport
*VoodooHDA .pkg 2.8.4*

That basically should get anyone with an unsupported Mac possessing ATI X1600 graphics a “non MLPF” OS X 10.8.4 64 bit OS system that I have estimated @ 100 % full functionality.

To update that to OS X 10.8.5, head on over to: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/ AND ON page 139 of that forum refer to the following specific post and dialogue between myself and Rastafabi # 3456, 3457, & 3459 to update your OS X 10.8.4 to OS X 10.8.5. Done.

All working now but not the graphics, I expect the openframeworks I copied from Mlpf are not working, other ati files i did copy from Lion.
It sais now I have 7mb graphics memory!!!
Can you or anyone else help me please with these openframework files?
Or another solution to get it working... Now I'm left with a crippled system
I finally found working kexts + frameworks
It took some while but thanks to some help Around I got these to work:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-8313290/10.8.5--64--X1600.7z.html

Last edited:

GerardDirks

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Purchases Version is 10.8.5

Hello

When I download a purchased Version of Mountain Lion I will get the 10.8.5. When I tried to installed it with MLPostfactor 0.3 it does't start after the ALT-Boot.

Is their a newer Version of MLPostfactor which Support the 10.8.5?

Regards
Gérard Dirks

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
When I tried to installed it with MLPostfactor 0.3 it does't start after the ALT-Boot.
Is that somewhere around step 8? With 10.8.5 installer my 2007 mini (Intel GMA 950) went to a blackish screen rather than telling me "Installation Succeeded". After waiting an hour to be sure it wasn't just thinking real hard, I turned the power off and option-key booted into the efi install partition again. Once that came up, I could carry on through step 9. With that done, the mini'll boot under Mountain Lion. "About This Mac" says 10.8.4 despite my 10.8.5 installer. Probably just one of the patches causing a cosmetic issue. The system's been remarkably stable since the update, so it's worth going through a few fraught moments during the update process.
Applied the security update 2014-01 afterwards
First modified SystemVersion.plist as described by krackpot.
Changed every instance of 10.8.4 in plist to 10.8.5 plus the "MLPostFactor v0.3" string.
Then rebooted and downloaded Security Update 2014-001 (Mountain Lion) from Apple and installed.
Everything came up nicely after the install and reboot.

Last edited:

castertab10

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Hi! I am wondering if can we install a recovery partition in mlpostfactor? I wanted to use the "Find my Mac" feature but it can't because it needs a recovery partiton here. TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.