Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Beside the Graphics Kexts you need also the appropriate OpenCL/GL Frameworks - see Post #4246 and onwards.

Mavericks and Yosemite aren't at the moment real alternatives on older Macs due to the lack of Graphics Acceleration (missing OpenCL/GL Frameworks) ....

Thanks for the info I read through the posts. Mountain lion runs fine for me using MACPOSTFACTOR the issue is filesharing and my having to toggle WIFI for it to work properly.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
10.8.3 working well

Thanks for the info I read through the posts. Mountain lion runs fine for me using MACPOSTFACTOR the issue is filesharing and my having to toggle WIFI for it to work properly.

My 10.8.3 experiment is pretty successful, only slight weirdness in file sharing, whether WiFi or ethernet.
I cloned this install onto another partition and upgraded to 8.5 and ended up with a very buggy system.
Looking back, 101 pages ago I was dealing with ML and having limited success, doing a lot better this time round.

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I didn't want to fool around with using the combo update so I stick with 10.8.5. I think 10.8.2 might be more stable though. Hopefully there will be more progress with either MPF or the newer OSXH app. There's really not much action over at osxhackers though. I guess we can keep experimenting-lol

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Read this on the -OS X Yosemite on Unsupported Macs forum yesterday

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20800370/

"OS X Hackers site is down during the Apple Event today. A redesign might be overdue.
OSXH Extractor v1.2 Beta 5 will be delayed to release with OSXPatcher v1.0 Beta.
Macpostfactor 0.2b2 is still being worked on. MLforAll sent me a preview to play with tonight.
We also need some people good with shell scripts and cloud computing for upcoming updates."

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
just keep trying it took me a few well a little more than a few tries to get it going. Hopefully they release the new updated beta that is supposed to fix this,
Finally got macpostfactor to make the installer put it will not boot the install?? both mountain lion nor mavericks??

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Finally got macpostfactor to make the installer put it will not boot the install?? both mountain lion nor mavericks??

Just a thought -Did you format the installer as GUID? Also try going into system prefs and choosing the installer as the start up disk.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
Just a thought -Did you format the installer as GUID? Also try going into system prefs and choosing the installer as the start up disk.

Thank yes followed all instructions and even tried holding down control and choosing the installer drive. The apple logo appears with the spinning icon but defaults to my lion osx? Not sure if there was something else i needed to do. I have mountain lion running with mlpf but was trying a new install with macpostfactor to see if file share was working. I was hoping to try mavericks and possibly yosemite later just as a project since I understand they are nor running well on older macs

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thank yes followed all instructions and even tried holding down control and choosing the installer drive. The apple logo appears with the spinning icon but defaults to my lion osx? Not sure if there was something else i needed to do. I have mountain lion running with sfott but was trying a new install with macpostfactor to see if file share was working. I was hoping to try mavericks and possibly yosemite later just as a project since I understand they are nor running well on older macs

How are things running with SFOTT? I can get an install with it but I get only 7mb of vram with my stock video card (ATI X1900) That's mountain lion,Mavericks and Yosemite. Once I installed the right video kexts the right amount of vram showed up. I know I need a new video card beyond mountain lion.

Anyway I forgot what system your installing it on. Some methods seem to favor one computer over another. If you wanna try Yosemite:

pre-patched Piker-Alpha bootable Yosemite installer

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20537556/

https://mega.co.nz/#!SoAgnKqI!GUineP...TU1p6nnkXkJFdQ

just restore to a usb stick in dick utility.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
How are things running with SFOTT? I can get an install with it but I get only 7mb of vram with my stock video card (ATI X1900) That's mountain lion,Mavericks and Yosemite. Once I installed the right video kexts the right amount of vram showed up. I know I need a new video card beyond mountain lion.

Anyway I forgot what system your installing it on. Some methods seem to favor one computer over another. If you wanna try Yosemite:

pre-patched Piker-Alpha bootable Yosemite installer

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20537556/

https://mega.co.nz/#!SoAgnKqI!GUineP...TU1p6nnkXkJFdQ

just restore to a usb stick in dick utility.

Thanks appreciate the link will give it a try I am running mountain lion on a early 2008 2.1 ghz core 2 duo it has an intel GMA x3100 video card and showing 144 mb seams to run ok but it sucks that I can't use file share??

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Get around skip ad

Thanks sumer. Where did you get macpostfactor? I downloaded macpostfactor 0.2.b from a link on this site but it does not work?? it looks like a great program but when I run it it passes the verification but hangs on waiting you to click skip ad?

Is there any way to bypass the skip ad screen? I have 0.2b1 and no matter what I do I can not get past it. After clicking skip I am put into a never ending loop of a blue adfly screen with countdowns that just restart.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks appreciate the link will give it a try I am running mountain lion on a early 2008 2.1 ghz core 2 duo it has an intel GMA x3100 video card and showing 144 mb seams to run ok but it sucks that I can't use file share??

I'll try and fool around with SFOTT later with a mountain lion install. If I remember file sharing wasn't working for me. Even with macposfactor 10.8,5- install I need to toggle WIFI off and on for the connecting computer to show up with file sharing. Fingers crossed MPF beta2 comes out soon.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
Is there any way to bypass the skip ad screen? I have 0.2b1 and no matter what I do I can not get past it. After clicking skip I am put into a never ending loop of a blue adfly screen with countdowns that just restart.
I took sumer's advise and just kept trying and it went away and the next time I ran it it was not there

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
I took sumer's advise and just kept trying and it went away and the next time I ran it it was not there

Thanks. Finally got it to work in creating the sub installer. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to boot the installer now. It switches over to my backup Lion install both from efi and startup disk.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks. Finally got it to work in creating the sub installer. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to boot the installer now. It switches over to my backup Lion install both from efi and startup disk.
Great it worked and I know where your are coming from I can't get it to boot either.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015

Gave this a try this morning but it will not boot???. I downloaded the zip file unzipped it and restored the Yosemite installer.dmg to a jump drive tried to boot it but my system just defaults to lion same as the other installers?? Have you had any success with this?? Is there something different I should be doing??

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I can't seem to get any of these installers to boot and my knowledge is certainly to low to make any changes was wondering if anyone had any success with getting file share to work on ML of if there is any hope now that someone would even try to make it work.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I can't seem to get any of these installers to boot and my knowledge is certainly to low to make any changes was wondering if anyone had any success with getting file share to work on ML of if there is any hope now that someone would even try to make it work.

"Isiah Johnson Mod • 2 days ago
We are aware that there are issues with MacPostFactor 0.2b1. A fix is coming soon. Please be patient. Keep a close eye at the MacRumors forums and our Twitter accounts (@isiahjohnson15, @MLforAll, @Wayne_819, @JohnsonNetwork) We'll try speed it up."

Just to add. How are you decompressing MPF? try and use something like keika or archiver. Sometimes the system de-compressor doesn't do it properly. this has happened when I've downloaded stuff from the net.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
"Isiah Johnson Mod • 2 days ago
We are aware that there are issues with MacPostFactor 0.2b1. A fix is coming soon. Please be patient. Keep a close eye at the MacRumors forums and our Twitter accounts (@isiahjohnson15, @MLforAll, @Wayne_819, @JohnsonNetwork) We'll try speed it up."

Just to add. How are you decompressing MPF? try and use something like keika or archiver. Sometimes the system de-compressor doesn't do it properly. this has happened when I've downloaded stuff from the net.

Thanks sumer I know patients is the key just tried so many thing that didn't work?? I am not sure which de-compressor was used?? whatever is default on mac?? archiver I think? (I'm a PC user just getting into Mac). I will give keika a try if I can find it. I wonder if I used a windows based de-compressor like WinRar?

New 2 Mac Luvit

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
New to this and very stuck

Hey guys, I have been trying really hard for last couple weeks to get Mountain lion on my early 2008 white macbook. started with lep.. upgraded to snow lep.. installed lion other day… and now i need macpostfactor to get me to mountain lion. I am already stuck on the part where it requires me to have the Mac OS Installer in my applications folder. I have purchased a copy of mountain lion from Apple, and redeemed it in the App Store, but it will not download obviously, since this macbook isn't built for it. how the heck do I get it into my application folder if i can't download it? Its like my final step… and i just can't get there. Please get me to MPF Mountain Lion! I need it to run certain games that no longer support less that OS 10.8,

Gerryhatrick

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Hey guys, I have been trying really hard for last couple weeks to get Mountain lion on my early 2008 white macbook. started with lep.. upgraded to snow lep.. installed lion other day… and now i need macpostfactor to get me to mountain lion. I am already stuck on the part where it requires me to have the Mac OS Installer in my applications folder. I have purchased a copy of mountain lion from Apple, and redeemed it in the App Store, but it will not download obviously, since this macbook isn't built for it. how the heck do I get it into my application folder if i can't download it? Its like my final step… and i just can't get there. Please get me to MPF Mountain Lion! I need it to run certain games that no longer support less that OS 10.8,

I was in the same situation and dloaded a copy of mlion from the net (torrent) and installed it using a virtual machine (parallels desktop). Then was able to dload my purchased mlion from the AppStore running the virtual machine.
Most people advise you use a friends newer mac to dload.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
file sharing

I have a 10.8.3 installation where the file sharing works: both ethernet and Wifi. Just about everything works that I've tried, don't know about Facetime or iMessage. I installed with MacPostFacto.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I have a 10.8.3 installation where the file sharing works: both ethernet and Wifi. Just about everything works that I've tried, don't know about Facetime or iMessage. I installed with MacPostFacto.
Thanks pgfif I am running 10.8.4 with mlpostfactor and just can't get file share to work?? Neither can i get any macpostfactor installer to boot but I did not try 10.8.3 using macpostfactor?? On 10.8.4 my desktop computer that I uses as a server show up on the network but when I try to access it I get a connection failed??

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5

OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5
Here is OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
• Fixed File Checksum Error
• Refreshed GMA 950 and X3100 Kexts
• Dock Glass Effect Manager added.
• Slight adjustments to OpenGL Beta Patches
• Kexts for iSight camera, Graphics Power Management, and SMB sharing

Other Features:
• Fixed the JavaScript Error that was previously shown in Beta 1
• OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
• Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite, Mavericks, or Mountain Lion)
• Supports French Language.
• Now better detects whether your Mac meets the requirements as stated in Post 1.
• Includes Kexts for Bluetooth
• Mountain Lion AutoPatcher Beta (May not work on some models)
• LeopardAssist for 10.5
• Improvements to OS X Mountain Lion AutoInstaller

Coming soon in the next Build(s):
• BootCamp Patch for Windows 8

Developer Focus Areas:
• Photos for Mac if installing 10.10.3
• General Reliability
• OpenGL Framework
• Wifi/Bluetooth Connectivity Issues
• File Sharing Issues

Download Size: 261 MB

Download Link (Compiling. . .)

External Link (Mega)

https://mega.co.nz/#!HUBEjQDT!Jwkr8EmAwUtE-VDs6HbhTlJLeR80yVNIUwNAWp5wAQs

Beta 2 is now considered a stable release on the site and post 1. OS X Patcher Beta 1 (automated installer) should come later this week

----------

When you have a complete or close to complete working installation can you list the computer you installed it on. It helps as some comps seem to work better than others. I'll try a 10.3 install as that may speed up my networking/file sharing. On 10.5 AFP is a little slow to connect to.Wifi is fine though.

As for imessage thats a known issue. I had to call apple and give them the code that imessage gives you when you try to connect with your apple account.

Cheers

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
have 10.7.5?

You have to have 10.7.5 to install ML. Good luck. Look through some of the posts,somebody else had the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.