Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
upgrade to 10.8.5

You were better off using a 10.8.5 install to avoid the hassle of upgrading to 8.3 it has known bugs. What did you use to create the install SFOTT,MPF,MLPF ?
I found a 10.8.5 .dmg file and double clicked on it, it opened into an .app which I then used with MLPF.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
upgrade to 10.8.5

You were better off using a 10.8.5 install to avoid the hassle of upgrading to 8.3 it has known bugs. What did you use to create the install SFOTT,MPF,MLPF ?
I found a 10.8.5 .dmg file and double clicked on it, it opened into an .app which I then used with MLPF.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
How You used 10.8.5 with MLPF if there is support up to 10.8.4 only?

You should read a couple pages back!!! most of your questions are answered.

Anyway you can install 10.8.5 and patch it with 10.8.4. You'll need to change the system version plist at some point so that your system shows 10.8.5 as it will show 10.8.4 after the patch. As an alternative you can use Macpostfactor with the 10.8.5 install eliminating the need to patch or change the plist.

Cheers

gramps416

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
the current state of GMA950 mabook upgradability

Hello,
I have ready many posts here, but is a bit overwhelming to say the least, so i have a few questions because i don't know what is current.

I am running 10.6.8 on the first macbook released, a core duo with GMA 950. Even today it is still a great machine. shame on apple for this discusting practice

If it is possible to upgrade this sort of machine (is it)?
1.. is there any real features that become unusable?
2.. can it be updated through software updates? (easily).
3.. Do you wish you just stayed with 10.6.8?
4.. which OS version number is the best choice?

thanks for your input all.
-g

iMoCks

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
You should read a couple pages back!!! most of your questions are answered.

Anyway you can install 10.8.5 and patch it with 10.8.4. You'll need to change the system version plist at some point so that your system shows 10.8.5 as it will show 10.8.4 after the patch. As an alternative you can use Macpostfactor with the 10.8.5 install eliminating the need to patch or change the plist.

Cheers
Yes, i've done it but there is too much info in many posts.
Anyway, i had bad WiFi configuration and now everything is solved. Thanks for answers guys. 10.8.5 successfully installed.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Hello,
I have ready many posts here, but is a bit overwhelming to say the least, so i have a few questions because i don't know what is current.

I am running 10.6.8 on the first macbook released, a core duo with GMA 950. Even today it is still a great machine. shame on apple for this discusting practice

If it is possible to upgrade this sort of machine (is it)?
1.. is there any real features that become unusable?
2.. can it be updated through software updates? (easily).
3.. Do you wish you just stayed with 10.6.8?
4.. which OS version number is the best choice?

thanks for your input all.
-g

1. Yes- Some have issues with files SMB sharing and AFP file sharing.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20920394/

2. Yes-It depends on what method is used. it's best to use the most up to date version of whatever OS your installing so that you don't need to update the system but other app updates are fine. Some have had issues with the security update but it depends on what method is used.IE MPF,MLPF or SFOTT.

3.No- I'm running Mountain Lion on my unsupported mac pro and will upgrade to mavericks (Yosemite maybe) when I get an upgraded video card. Alot of apps need at least Lion to run and some even require mavericks. My laptop runs Yosemite natively so it's good as far as using the same 64 bit apps in both comps. I will say that I wish i stayed on Mavericks with my laptop there are lot of issue's with Yosemite so I'd wait to upgrade Yosemite on my unsupported mac.

4. I'd say Lion would be great but you don't get the bells and whistles that are in Mountain lion. So I'd go Mountain lion or Mavericks.

BTW TRY the install on a spare drive or partition just in case things don't work out. The method that worked best for me is using MACPOSTFACTOR however some people like MLPOSTFACTOR. With MPF there is a bug when it comes to the ad skip screen. just keep trying it''l get past it eventually.

Cheers

srihari83

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Solution of lack of screen backlight brightness control..

Hi guys,
Maybe this is an old issue, but does anyone have a solid solution to enabling screen backlight brightness control on ML10.8.5 on an MB3.1.. Neither keyboard F1/F2 keys not slider control in system preferences seems to make a change to screen brightness which is stuck at 100%…
Everything else works like a charm, video card seems to render almost full graphics acceleration, sound, wifi & camera work perfectly..
Any help/advice is much appreciated!! thanks..

Totodile

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
Southern Ontario
Any chance that someone could help me with this? I have a Mid-2007 MacBook before and I'm pretty sure I had tried this before but I could never get it to work. I have no way of obtaining an App Store version of ML. If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated! I would like to run ML so that I could use iMessage on my computer it would be a huge convenience and help when I'm working with clients. Also, the Notification Center seems very convenient. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

DrMindbender77

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
First let say Thanks to everyone here, this forum has been a major help. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 (early 2006). I upgraded my dual core CPU's to the 5365 quad core. Next I used the sixty four on thirty two utility on 10.6.8 to create a 10.8.5 bootable usb. After trying two different usb's, I was able to upgrade without a hitch(maintaining all my old info, and yes I backed up my HDD first). My Radeon xt1900 only worked with one monitor and showed 8mb vram, but that was expected. I tried a Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 and an Asus EN210 Silent 512mb DDR3, both worked but without bootscreen. I ended up using the Asus card. In system report my Mac is still listed as a Mac Pro 1,1. SO my questions are:
1. Can I update without worrying that the boot efi will be overwritten? Specifically the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0

2. Can/how to update my firmware to a Mac Pro 2,2 and is it worth it?

3. Is there a way to enable the graphics at boot? If not does anyone know of any inexpensive cards that will work besides the Radeon 5770?

Attachments

• stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 486

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
First let say Thanks to everyone here, this forum has been a major help. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 (early 2006). I upgraded my dual core CPU's to the 5365 quad core. Next I used the sixty four on thirty two utility on 10.6.8 to create a 10.8.5 bootable usb. After trying two different usb's, I was able to upgrade without a hitch(maintaining all my old info, and yes I backed up my HDD first). My Radeon xt1900 only worked with one monitor and showed 8mb vram, but that was expected. I tried a Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 and an Asus EN210 Silent 512mb DDR3, both worked but without bootscreen. I ended up using the Asus card. In system report my Mac is still listed as a Mac Pro 1,1. SO my questions are:
1. Can I update without worrying that the boot efi will be overwritten? Specifically the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0

2. Can/how to update my firmware to a Mac Pro 2,2 and is it worth it?

3. Is there a way to enable the graphics at boot? If not does anyone know of any inexpensive cards that will work besides the Radeon 5770?

I have the same comp but using the stock Video card for now (ATI Radeon X1900 XT). I believe you need to edit the system version plist to show the updated details or the DST plist.

I used the macpostfactor method and have installed the supplemental update with no problems.

Most non mac cards will not show the boot screen. There's a thread on here about compatible cards but it's a common thing that people live with. The stock mac pro video card will work fine for ML and shows boot screen. It's Mavericks and Yosemite that needs a better card. Your Vram will show 5mb but you will have no graphics acceleration and won't be able to play dvd's. The Nividea gt 8800 will show a boot screen and works on ML and Yosemite.

BTW using SFOTT with the stock card with ML will get you the 5mb. It's better to use MPF or MLPF as it installs the right kexts and full acceleration and vram perimeters are shown.

I agree with staying with ML or Mavericks as Yosemite is buggy in general. I have it on my laptop that runs it natively (without a hack) and there are networking and wifi issues. One of the worst OS upgrades i've seen from apple- IMHO

Cheers

Last edited:

DrMindbender77

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
I have the same comp but using the stock Video card for now (ATI Radeon X1900 XT). I believe you need to edit the system version plist to show the updated details or the DST plist.

I used the macpostfactor method and have installed the supplemental update with no problems.

Most non mac cards will not show the boot screen. There's a thread on here about compatible cards but it's a common thing that people live with. The stock mac pro video card will work fine for ML and shows boot screen. It's Mavericks and Yosemite that needs a better card. Your Vram will show 5mb but you will have no graphics acceleration and won't be able to play dvd's. The Nividea gt 8800 will show a boot screen and works on ML and Yosemite.

BTW using SFOTT with the stock card with ML will get you the 5mb. It's better to use MPF or MLPF as it installs the right kexts and full acceleration and vram perimeters are shown.

I agree with staying with ML or Mavericks as Yosemite is buggy in general. I have it on my laptop that runs it natively (without a hack) and there are networking and wifi issues. One of the worst OS upgrades i've seen from apple- IMHO

Cheers
Thanks for the info do you happen to have a link or more info on how to install with MPF or MPLF( idk what that is), or better yet what kexts i need to make the x1900 work?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks for the info do you happen to have a link or more info on how to install with MPF or MPLF( idk what that is), or better yet what kexts i need to make the x1900 work?

http://osxhackers.tk/

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/MLPostFactor.shtml

This whole thread is essentially about MACPOSTFACTOR or MLPOSTFACTOR. So you can start from several pages back or page one to get an idea. In essence they create installers for unsupported macs. IMHO a much better method than SFOTT, Macpostfactor being the preferred method for many including myself. The above mentioned apps have the kexts in them when they create the installer. You basically put either app in your applications folder with a copy of the OS your going to use and start the program and it creates a bootable installer on a HD or USB key.

Cheers

liemkmai

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Portland, OR
First let say Thanks to everyone here, this forum has been a major help. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 (early 2006).

Definitely do do perform any supplemental updates or else you will likely get the prohibit symbol. You can, of course, patch it if you have MLPF .2 or .3 installer.

Last edited:

DrMindbender77

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the info, guess I'll have to start all over again. Couple of questions, if I use this method (MLPostfactor)on my Snow Leopard drive
1. Can I use the install mountain lion 10.8.5.app
2. will it erase and do a fresh install or can I upgrade keeping all my files/settings?

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
hi,

I have both apps in my applications MacPostFactor and Mountain Lion App and I keep getting Error 1

I had a mountain lion dmg file which I placed all its content inside the applications folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am new to macs.

Last edited:

alepc

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
http://osxhackers.tk/

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/MLPostFactor.shtml

This whole thread is essentially about MACPOSTFACTOR or MLPOSTFACTOR. So you can start from several pages back or page one to get an idea. In essence they create installers for unsupported macs. IMHO a much better method than SFOTT, Macpostfactor being the preferred method for many including myself. The above mentioned apps have the kexts in them when they create the installer. You basically put either app in your applications folder with a copy of the OS your going to use and start the program and it creates a bootable installer on a HD or USB key.

Cheers

Can't get past the ad fly screen in MACPOSTFACTOR. "Sorry the link has been deleted"
Any help?
TKS!

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
hi,

I have both apps in my applications MacPostFactor and Mountain Lion App and I keep getting Error 1

I had a mountain lion dmg file which I placed all its content inside the applications folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am new to macs.

You need the .app not a disk image or the contents of it. You can find the mountain lion.app on most torrent sites

Cheers

----------

Can't get past the ad fly screen in MACPOSTFACTOR. "Sorry the link has been deleted"
Any help?
TKS!

Keep trying a couple of pages back ppl have talked about this or just use MLpostfactor.03.

Cheers

----------

Thanks for the info, guess I'll have to start all over again. Couple of questions, if I use this method (MLPostfactor)on my Snow Leopard drive
1. Can I use the install mountain lion 10.8.5.app
2. will it erase and do a fresh install or can I upgrade keeping all my files/settings?

I believe ML and MPF need at least lion to run the apps. it's recommended to do a back up of your existing drive(in case something goes wrong) if you wanna do an upgrade-but yes that is possible. A clean install seems to work best then use migration assistant.

You can only use a.app to create an installer so what you have is correct.

Cheers

alepc

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Keep trying a couple of pages back ppl have talked about this or just use MLpostfactor.03.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip! I did it but can't see a solution. Tried with a macbook pro with Yosemite and it got stuck either.
With MLpostfactor, I was not able to fix the graphics (GMA 950) on my 06' macmini 1.1 upgraded to 2.1.
Thanks again!
PS. Sorry for my bad English.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks for the tip! I did it but can't see a solution. Tried with a macbook pro with Yosemite and it got stuck either.
With MLpostfactor, I was not able to fix the graphics (GMA 950) on my 06' macmini 1.1 upgraded to 2.1.
Thanks again!
PS. Sorry for my bad English.

Macpostfactor worked for me using Yosemite on my laptop. Maybe try using a different app to unzip MPF like keika.

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
You need the .app not a disk image or the contents of it. You can find the mountain lion.app on most torrent sites

Cheers

----------

Cheers

----------

I believe ML and MPF need at least lion to run the apps. it's recommended to do a back up of your existing drive(in case something goes wrong) if you wanna do an upgrade-but yes that is possible. A clean install seems to work best then use migration assistant.

You can only use a.app to create an installer so what you have is correct.

Cheers

thank you, it worked! but i am having some trouble with the installation screen

i'm given the option to install on macintosh hd, net, or home. which one do i select?

Also, On the next screen, I get a message that says "Sorry, but that link has been deleted." and it tells me to "skip ad" although I do not see this button.

I tried pressing cmd + left arrow but nothing happens besides a strange ad that pops up.

thank you friend :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.