Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Any one want to chime in on the steps necessary to tether your Macbook Air via bluetooth or USB to your cell phone.

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I use a Treo 750. Basically, just pair it via bluetooth, turn on internet sharing on the treo and then connect to bluetooth PAN networking from the bluetooth icon on the MBA.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
What method are u using? Proxy? HTTP? Slirp?

Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100

Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Unless you tell us what phone you are trying to tether to, a good place to find info on this is hofo, also known as HowardForums at HowardForums.com

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Unless you tell us what phone you are trying to tether to, a good place to find info on this is hofo, also known as HowardForums at HowardForums.com

I use a treo 750 for mine, I was just making a topic to help others, I had not seen it discussed so far and I figured it could be a helpful topic.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I'm tethering my MacBook Air and my Sprint Treo 755p via BT DUN, works great when no WiFi is available. My speeds are between 300-400Kbit/sec.

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

I have found that you need this file for any Treo after the 650 to tether. Just copy it from a SD, miniSD card to your Treo using Resco Explorer (Filez no longer works). The instructions can be found at this TreoCentral thread, along with the files you'll need.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=154998&bt+dun

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
I have gotten the tethering to work via Internet Connection sharing on the treo 750, although I have posted in many forums that I am getting EXTREMELY lagged ping replies. Getting them on the order of 3000-15000ms reply times. I have upgraded my plan to tethering enabled with AT&T and changed my APN to isp.cingular but no lock. AT&T Supports answer is that they dont support MAC OSX. What a cop out. Is there any way to tether it via USB so that I can at least rule out Bluetooth as my problem? Any help would be great. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

luckEseven

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Everyone knows you can't tether the Macbook Air, cause the stupid thing doesn't even have a security slot, let alone more than one USB port!:mad:

*Note, I'm only kidding, don't get too upset. I know that's not the type of tethering you were referring to, and I actually like the MBA a lot, I don't care if it has one or ten USB ports.

brianhn1

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
So no one here using bluetooth and Windows mobile 6 'Internet Connection Sharing'?

I tried using Internet Connection Sharing on my HTC TyTn and it's terribly slow. Had same experience you did, terrible ping and slow speeds. I ended up using WMWifiRouter and it is much faster, 800-1300Kbit/sec with ping 100-300ms.

I also tried using USB and had a much better result, though I have to use it through windows.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
I tried using Internet Connection Sharing on my HTC TyTn and it's terribly slow. Had same experience you did, terrible ping and slow speeds. I ended up using WMWifiRouter and it is much faster, 800-1300Kbit/sec with ping 100-300ms.

I also tried using USB and had a much better result, though I have to use it through windows.

That WMWifiRouter programs developers site seems to be down, but I think its irrelevant because my treo 750 doesn't even have WI-FI built in. question though, did you get your pda to tether via USB to osx? How did you get it to recognize it? Drivers?

brianhn1

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
That WMWifiRouter programs developers site seems to be down, but I think its irrelevant because my treo 750 doesn't even have WI-FI built in. question though, did you get your pda to tether via USB to osx? How did you get it to recognize it? Drivers?

That's true you need Wifi for WMWifiRouter.

I tethered to my PDA after using ActiveSync in Windows XP virtualized through Fusion. I set Fusion to forward USB and then clicked 'Connect' in ICS using 'Connect using USB'. Therefore, I was only able to browse the internet inside Fusion only.

When I have a chance, I will look into tethering directly with OS X. I am sure there is a driver out there but it has been difficult to find.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Tether

What I dont understand is that it used to work GREAT with my C2D Macbook, just works like CRAP with my MBA. Wondering if it has a newer bluetooth stack or something? I have the latest AT&T firmware on my phone and all the updates on my MBA. I also even upgraded my plan to tethering to gain access to the ics.cingular APN.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
So I broke out the macbook

So I broke out the old macbook and tethered it up, and what do you know. WORKS GREAT, can even stream video over bluetooth PAN. The issue is the macbook air for sure now. Opened up System Profiler and looked at some of the differences.

Macbook: Bluetooth Software 2.1.0f14
Macbook Air: Same

Macbook Air: Has broadcom chipset
Macbook: Cambridge Silicon Radio

Macbook Firmware: 3.1965
Macbook Air Firmware: 4.2000

So I guess the issue is with the macbook air's new broadcom chipset......

serendipity0213

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
wireless connection

Hello,
I am new to the forum and have had my MBA for about a week. I do adore it. For years I have been using a wireless modem, and this works perfectly on MBA. I am using a Verizon UM150 which goes into the usb port. It is broadband, very fast and costs $59/month for unlimited access. It has a different number from my cell phone and has worked in remote areas and all of the country. I have had great business success because of this. There is a new one the USB727 which is even smaller and includes removable memory. The only thing better I could imagine is if it were possible to use this without plugging it in.
B

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have had my MBA for about a week. I do adore it. For years I have been using a wireless modem, and this works perfectly on MBA. I am using a Verizon UM150 which goes into the usb port. It is broadband, very fast and costs $59/month for unlimited access. It has a different number from my cell phone and has worked in remote areas and all of the country. I have had great business success because of this. There is a new one the USB727 which is even smaller and includes removable memory. The only thing better I could imagine is if it were possible to use this without plugging it in.
B

What you are talking about it a USB Modem, we are trying to figure out how to tether your CELL PHONE, to the MBA. This way you can keep the phone in your bag or pocket and use it as if it where pluged in. I am even trying to figure out how to use it as a USB modem with the supplied cable but so far I havnt had any luck doing that as the MBA doesnt reconize the treo when pluged in.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I just have that service on my current plan and I am trying to take advantage of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.