Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Here are my results from a BT tethered BB 8830, Sprint PCS:

I will concede to those who tried the same mobile device, with the same config on another MB vs. a MBA and received different results.

Is it possible that different BT manufacturers are not compliant to the standards and no one noticed until now?

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Tethering for Palm users....

PHONE : TREO 755p (palm OS)

SERVICE : Sprint

SOFTWARE : USBModem v1.59

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1st - Simple Bluetooth Syncing / Pairing:

I setup the bluetooth connection without sharing the internet connection - in other words, I originally setup for bluetooth pairing (selecting "All Devices" instead of "Mobile phone" under the "Set up Bluetooth Device..." in the bluetooth menu)

2nd- Make sure the TREO Connections are set up properly

--> I cannot stress this enough, always turn off and on bluetooth on both the palm device, and mac, while trouble shooting, to make sure you are getting proper pairing.

3rd - Open USBModem on the Treo

- select "bluetooth"
- select "Enable Modem"

--> NOTE: at this point it should ask if you want DUN suppression active, I did not do that initially, but afterwards, I selected it from the menu and it automatically did a soft-reset to enable this feature. (I believe it is necessary)

4th - Bluetooth Connection / Dial Up Networking

-->Note: I setup bluetooth connection, because I cannot get a USB tether working in leopard (for either Syncing or for DUN - if anyone can, please let me know how)

--> follow the USBModem instructions (as a guide) - I did things a little differently, bc the manual us setup for Tiger, and the menus or organization of these menu items is different (a bit) in Leopard:

--> I DID NOT install the "AppleUSBCDCDriverPatch (since I was focusing on the bluetooth connectivity - but I believe this is used for USB cable tethering)

To add the Treo 755p as a DUN modem (To share it's data connectivity) - I went to PREFERENCES > NETWORK .... clicked the "+" sign on the bottom, add a bluetooth profile - I named this the same as my Treo... something like "TREO 755p Bluetooth"

Under configuration, I named this "Sprint PCS"
Telephone Number : #777
Account Name: I entered my account name from sprint : "xxxxxxx03@sprintpcs.com"
Password: (left this blank)

Then,
cliick the "Advanced..." button "

NOTE: If you installed the MobileStreem CDMA script --> according to the user guide, this script gets placed in the LIBRARY>MODEM SCRIPTS folder... The way you get this to pop-up in the menus is by selecting "Other" for the Vendor

I used the follwing:

VENDOR : Sprint
MODEL : PCS Vision

-----------------------------------
EDIT :
It seems that the MobileStreamCDMA script is more reliable for making the connection,
so I changed the above settings to :
VENDOR : Other
MODEL : Mobile Stream CDMA
-----------------------------------

- check the box for enable error connection and compression

VERY IMPORTANT : MAKE SURE DIAL MODE IS SET TO "IGNORE DIAL TONE WHEN DIALING" !!

5th - Almost Done

In the Network section of preferences, when you highlight the newly created bluetooth profile, you should see a checkbox, to show the modem status in menu bar - click it..... a telephone icon will appear in the menu bar, click on that....

Select "Connect"...

and....

Hopefully you are set

I am getting speeds of :

493 upload, 104 download in NY, USA

ceehjayem

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100

Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

I have a Macbook Air with an iPhone. for this step:

"Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return."

I type in srelay and get "login incorrect"

Help please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.