Guidelines for refurbed iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spiderman0616, Oct 23, 2010.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Got a refurb iPhone 4 today--traded mine in because of a dead pixel. What I want to know is, is there official documentation anywhere from Apple saying what constitutes a refurb? I have heard a rumor that they keep the board from the inside, but put everything in a new housing (basically, the guts are re-used, and the outside is new). I looked on Apple's website for an explanation of what a refurb actually is, but didn't find much.

Can anyone give a link to something?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you. It would just make you not like your phone as much. :eek:

As far as I know, thats what I think they do. They also replace the battery.

3. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I admit, I am a little worried. My first iPhone 4 was brand new but had some wifi problems. They didn't even test it for anything and just gave me another one. (Never checked whether or not it was a refurb.) The second one had a dead pixel. So this is now my third iPhone 4. The dead pixel thing was kind of nitpicky, but I thought I'd try my luck and it worked somehow.

The one I got today looks pristine except for one tiny little nick on the antenna band. Basically, not one of the three iPhone 4's that I've had have been cosmetically perfect, even the new one.

4. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Bumping this--

Anyone know a definitive answer on this? The official statement I finally did find on the Apple website didn't say anything about new casing.

My refurb I got on Saturday has an......imperfection........ on the antenna. It's very small and not very noticeable, but it is there. If it's just a flaw in the metal from manufacturing, it really doesn't bug me. If they gave me someone's nicked antenna band, it's going to kind of bug me.

Either way, I know they won't exchange it again for a nicked antenna, and I really don't feel like going back in there anyway. Just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

If you're feeling a compulsion to make a comment along the lines of "it's just a phone, relax", keep in mind that I'm on my third iPhone now because of real defects, so I'm getting a little pickier each time I get a new one.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to relax and forget about the tiny little nick on the antenna band.
    You will get more tiny little nicks thruout the life of your cellphone unless you wrap it up in bubble wrap and leave it at home.
    Enjoy your iphone and stop worrying.