Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to launch at least one new Mac next month during an event rumored to be held on Tuesday, March 8, and that announcement will be followed by another round of new Macs around May or June, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

24-inch-imac-and-macbook-monterey.jpeg

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said, "Apple is already gearing up for another round of Mac releases around May or June," following its Mac announcement next month. Apple has several new Apple silicon Macs in the pipeline set to be released this year, and while it's not entirely clear which new Mac will be unveiled next month, Gurman speculates it's likely to be a high-end Mac mini and a refreshed low-end 13-inch MacBook Pro.
Given that two of the oldest Apple Silicon Macs in the lineup today are the entry-level MacBook Pro and Mac mini, I'd guess that those models will be next to be upgraded.
Apple has a redesigned MacBook Air and a new 24-inch iMac in the works set to be released this year that will both feature the M2 Apple silicon chip, alongside the new high-end Mac mini and updated 13-inch MacBook Pro. Another new Mac mini and a replacement to the currently Intel-based 27-inch iMac is also in the works and will feature M1 Pro and M1 Max chip options, according to Gurman.

The timeline set forth by Gurman suggesting Apple could announce new Macs around May or June, implying a release around its Worldwide Developers Conference, lines up with a report from reliable display analyst Ross Young who last week said Apple's mini-LED iMac Pro could launch during the summer.

Regarding Apple's highest-end Mac, the Mac Pro, Gurman reiterated that it'd come with versions of the M1 Max chip, with the first iteration featuring 20 CPU cores and 64 GPU cores, followed by the second chip with 40 CPU cores and 128 GPU cores. Learn more about Apple's Mac Pro plan using our detailed roundup.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple to Launch New Macs Next Month, With More to Come Around May or June

Boil

macrumors 68000
Oct 23, 2018
So maybe:
  • March - M1 Pro/Max Mac mini desktop
  • May - M1 Pro/Max 27" iMac all-in-one desktop
  • June - Dual/Quad M1 Max Mac Pro desktop (preview at WWDC, release end of 2022)
  • October - M2 14" MacBook laptop / M2 Mac mini desktop / M2 24" iMac all-in-one desktop

Last edited:

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
No white bezels hopefully. Or it could be an option: white or black bezels (like mouse or trackpad for iMacs). This way Apple will see how many people actually want them.

Last edited:
So maybe:
  • March - M1 Pro/Max Mac mini desktop
  • May - M1 Pro/Max 27" iMac all-in-one desktops
  • June - Dual/Quad M1 Max Mac Pro desktop (preview at WWDC, release end of 2022)
  • October - M2 14" MacBook laptop / M2 Mac mini desktop / M2 24" iMac all-in-one desktop
You may have guessed it better than Mr. Gurman ?

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Man I hate tech! I just bought a M1 Air. I knew a new model would come this year. But that’s just how tech works :)

Though, if it has white bezels and a notch I won’t be interested anyway

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
Still think the rumour about M2 in 13-inch MBP is extremely strange.

“Here’s our brand new chip in our 6-year old chassis! We think you’ll love it!”

M1 Pro on 13-inch MBP makes far more sense.

Reactions: brucemr

chucker23n1

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2014

Maybe, but that implies a 24-month schedule for the Mac chips. That seems… quite long (I would have expected 18 months). Presumably, that "M2" would also come not with Avalanche/Blizzard cores, but with the A16's upcoming cores.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
they could / should probably do a yearly schedule with the uneven numbers being bigger upgrades than the even ones
M1 = A14
M2 = A15 - minor CPU bump / decent GPU bump
M3 = A16 - newer architecture with more increased performance

At some point when the redesign excitement is over, the Macs are going to go back to an occasional spec bump cycle, but I agree that 2 years is quite long. It should be yearly / 18 months max at least for the consumer models (maybe less important for devices like the Mac Pro)

chucker23n1

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2014
they could / should probably do a yearly schedule with the uneven numbers being bigger upgrades than the even ones
M1 = A14
M2 = A15 - minor CPU bump / decent GPU bump
M3 = A16 - newer architecture with more increased performance

Well, they're clearly not doing a yearly schedule, at least for now — if they release an M2 in March, that'll be 17 months after the M1.

I think they should eventually settle for 18 months, skipping an Ax every other time. But right now, it's looking more like 24 months.

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
Well, they're clearly not doing a yearly schedule, at least for now — if they release an M2 in March, that'll be 17 months after the M1.

I think they should eventually settle for 18 months, skipping an Ax every other time. But right now, it's looking more like 24 months.
True - it could be due to them being in the transition phase yet with all the redesigns. If it becomes more of a spec bump thing things might change.

But I agree, 18 months would work too. It depends on how fast the competition moves too off course.

chucker23n1

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2014
Won't buy any new Mac until Windows can be installed again.

Even if Apple runs into a situation where their own CPUs aren't up to snuff, it's unrealistic to get another architecture migration for another decade. More likely, Apple will slowly diverge from ARM towards something custom (first, with proprietary extensions, then further and further).

OTOH, it's possible that Windows on ARM becomes more common. Just… not for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.