Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Let me get my dart board out Gurman! For his next trick he'll throw three darts in one throw and hope that any of the three darts will actually land on the dart board? To measure his level of rumor accuracy.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Won't buy any new Mac until Windows can be installed again.
Hope you're not hanging from a cliff by your fingernails waiting for that to happen. Likely ARM windows won't ever be licenced to run on a Mac, and x86 Windows won't ever run well enough via a Rosetta-style converter to make it worthwhile. You may as well just buy a PC and be done.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm getting so nervous.
I'm getting bigger and bigger clients and my mac mini M1 is just not powerful enough.
I really need an M1 Max now, however the macbook pro is just too expensive, considering I'm never working on the move.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Man I hate tech! I just bought a M1 Air. I knew a new model would come this year. But that’s just how tech works :)

Though, if it has white bezels and a notch I won’t be interested anyway
Don’t sweat it — I have a feeling the M1 Air will continue to be available and the new one will be a higher price.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
A Pro/Developer-related hardware announcement at WWDC makes sense, but the bigger question is will they announce rOS in June. They need developers to get their hands on the hardware way in advance of it being released. WWDC seems logical.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
So maybe:
  • March - M1 Pro/Max Mac mini desktop
  • May - M1 Pro/Max 27" iMac all-in-one desktop
  • June - Dual/Quad M1 Max Mac Pro desktop (preview at WWDC, release end of 2022)
  • October - M2 14" MacBook laptop / M2 Mac mini desktop / M2 24" iMac all-in-one desktop
I just can't see them putting a M1 Pro and especially not a M1 Max in a Mac mini if they plan on releasing a Mac Pro with Apple Silicon this year, it just doesn't make sense.

The question is when do we see M2 because this is more likely to go inside a refreshed Mac mini.

From what we've been led to believe it's the larger iMacs in May/June and the new MacBook/MacBook Air in September/October but no-one really knows anything outside of Apple.

I certainly don't see Apple releasing both a M1 Pro and M1 Max Mac mini and a M2 Mac mini within six months of each other. Apple has cared little for the Mac mini over the years so it'd be completely surprising if they released three iterations of this product this year alone.

The unusual product to be announced in March is the 13inch MBP, what CPU will it have and what display and ports? Will it still have the Touch Bar? Seems odd to release a new 13 inch MBP with the 14/16 inch models but this would suggest the 13inch MBP is the bridge product in price and specs between the MBA and the 14/16 MBP. Honestly, it's a bit of a mess.

Are we gonna see an iMac Pro this year? It will be a crowded six months of announcements if Apple is really gonna release an updated Mac mini, 13 inch MBP, larger iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Pro. This could happen and all at different price points. I'd imagine they keep the M1 MBA around and drop the price to make it the cheapest entry into an Apple computer.

• Disagree
Reactions: Boil

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah Yeah "Developer" Conference, Apple should finally rename that crap to ECAPLC - End-consumer and Product Launch Conference, of just ditch this altogether.
When MacRumors folk mention WWDC what they really mean is “The WWDC keynote presentation“ which has long been a publicity beano. The developer conference happens after that (and used to be a relatively expensive paid event before it went all-virtual). It’s pretty common for conference keynotes to be publicity-focussed events partly aimed at the press.

Mr.PT

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2020
So maybe:
  • June - Dual/Quad M1 Max Mac Pro desktop (preview at WWDC, release end of 2022)
  • October - M2 14" MacBook laptop / M2 Mac mini desktop / M2 24" iMac all-in-one desktop
Almost 100% Agree; I feel Apple will stick to a “sequential” transition.
my twist:
March: M1Pro/Max 27”iMac+Mac Mini+27” Display-same power different builts;
WWDC: M1MaxDuo/Quad+32” Display update-End transition, in person audience will crazily cheer;
Fall: M2 24”iMac+13”MB (Air+13”MBP fusion)-Update cycle begins.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just can't see them putting a M1 Pro and especially not a M1 Max in a Mac mini if they plan on releasing a Mac Pro with Apple Silicon this year, it just doesn't make sense.

The question is when do we see M2 because this is more likely to go inside a refreshed Mac mini.
I certainly don't see Apple releasing both a M1 Pro and M1 Max Mac mini and a M2 Mac mini within six months of each other. Apple has cared little for the Mac mini over the years so it'd be completely surprising if they released three iterations of this product this year alone.
The M1 Pro/Max Mac mini and an M2 Mac mini 6 months later both make perfect sense… and that’s what I expect for the Mac mini this year.

Both should get a new form factor too.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
So maybe:

thinking
March: M2 Air, M2 13" pro, M2 24" imac
June: mac pro, mini pro, mac pro (probably m1 pro/max but I'm hoping for m2 pro/max)
october: m2 pro/max 14" and 17" laptops

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
WWDC, Apple Silicon Mac Pro, transition complete.

It's going to get really annoying until then with so many "analysts" claiming they knew something about this, even though it's obvious.

Christoph_SK

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Very precise and specific information. Let's put it in EBNF:
TIME = "Mar" | "May" | "Jun" | "Oct" | "Any other time this year" | "next year" | "maybe never";
PROC = "M1" | "M2", {"Pro" | "Max" | "Ultra"};
IMAC = "iMac", {"24" | "27"};
MACBOOK = "Macbook", {"" | "Pro" | "Air"};

GURMAN = TIME, PROC, {IMAC | MACBOOK | "MacMini" | "MacPro"}
Even if you iterated through all combinations you still would not reach the wisdom of The Godfather-of-Apple-prediction-Gurman

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Wife & I were just talking about replacing our 27" (2019) with a 24" M1 iMac over the weekend. Its not a heavy use machine but 27" form factor just seems too big for our use anymore. May hold off a bit longer...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm getting so nervous.
I'm getting bigger and bigger clients and my mac mini M1 is just not powerful enough.
I really need an M1 Max now, however the macbook pro is just too expensive, considering I'm never working on the move.

The hypothetical M1 MAX MINI will get just as "expensive" minus some value for the laptop-only parts (everything in the lid, keyboard, trackpad, better speakers, etc). Some people think that discount is going to be about $500-$700. So configure the Super Mini now as a MBpro 14" exactly as you want it and then subtract a bit for laptop-only pieces. That's probably best logical guess at pricing the new Mini.

I think way too many people can't imagine Mini with PRO & MAX because they are mentally locked in on Mini being priced really low. However, the top config one this new one will replace can be configured at $2999 right now... with tech a few years old.

I DO expect a Mini with PRO & MAX config options. However, I also expect it to be a not-mini price for those configs. I'm best guessing:
  • a maxed Mac Mini MAX is going to hit about $5K. At the other end,
  • a MIN config with PRO might hit $1299 but I'm guessing $1499.
I hope to see these actually come to market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.PT and Tagbert

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Won't buy any new Mac until Windows can be installed again.
You'll be waiting a while. Microsoft has an exclusivity deal with Qualcomm, that I don't see them walking away from anytime soon. I used to be big on running Windows VMs on my Macs... but now I don't remember the last time I fired one up. In the age of modern software - if something is Windows exclusive and not available on macOS, generally there's a better macOS counterpart thats been developed by someone else. Its just not a roadblock like it used to be.

The exception to this is of course, gaming. But if you're buying a Mac for gaming, you're doing it wrong.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
A Pro/Developer-related hardware announcement at WWDC makes sense, but the bigger question is will they announce rOS in June. They need developers to get their hands on the hardware way in advance of it being released. WWDC seems logical.

And will they attach some straps to a Mac Mini as a developers kit so we can see developers running around with a Mini strapped to their face? ;)

AND, will they put a self-destruct feature inside, so that they don't have the trouble of getting developer kits returned as they did before. Or perhaps some robot legs so the device can simply run home when the mothership wants them recalled. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: RalfTheDog

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'd rather they focus on the software for that event. That's maybe not as exciting but it's definitely something apple needs to focus more on
Agreed. Hardware is incredible. But software ever since macOS Catalina is horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.