Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Tuesday's "California streaming" event where Apple will unveil the iPhone 13, Apple Watch Series 7, and AirPods 3, Apple has one further event planned that will focus on new Mac and iPad announcements, according to Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman.

apple-event-september-14.jpg

Responding to a query about new Macs, Gurman tweeted that "there will be two events," and said he expected the latter to feature both new Mac models and new iPads. In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said the second event will happen in the next "several weeks."

With several Apple product lines expected to see new additions this year, speculation had mounted regarding how many events Apple will hold in the remainder of 2021. Predictions had been further fueled by the fact that last year Apple held three separate events over September, October, and November. However, 2020 was blighted by the global health crisis, which saw Apple hold digital-only events for the first time and the iPhone 12 announcement delayed to October.

In 2021, the pandemic hasn't been as big a factor for Apple, and the company is returning to its September timeframe to announce the new iPhone 13. Additionally, Apple's November 2020 event was exclusively about the first ever Apple silicon-powered Macs, and while the company is expected to announce redesigned MacBook Pro models this year, these will share the limelight with new iPads at a single combined event instead.

Apple is working on an updated version of the MacBook Pro that will come in 14 and 16-inch size options. It will have thinner bezels, a larger display, and a redesigned chassis. It will use a new "M1X" chip that's an upgrade to the M1, and will mark the return of MagSafe connectivity over USB-C. Apple is also bringing back the HDMI port and SD card slot. According to Gurman, Apple has also been working on a new version of the Mac mini that will feature an M1X chip.

As for iPads, there is a new version of the low-cost iPad in development, and Apple has major changes in store for the iPad mini 6, which is expected to be updated with an all-display design. Like the iPad Air, it will have no Home button and it could feature a Touch ID power button.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple's Second Fall Event to Focus on Both New Macs and New iPads

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Biglethal69

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Does that imply it will not be possible to charge over USB-C? Or just that MagSafe will be the expected and default charging method with USB-C as an alternative, if needed?

I'd certainly have hoped to be able to use either.
you will be still able to charge via usbC...the magsafe is for when you have all of your usbC busy

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I really liked having 3 autumn events in 2020.

(That said, Apple could improve event spacing as sometimes it seems just a little too long of a stretch between them at other times of year.)

Reactions: Starsinthetech

nollic

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
To the I/O experts: What would be the reasoning behind having an HDMI port over DisplayPort?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
To the I/O experts: What would be the reasoning behind having an HDMI port over DisplayPort?
HDMI is far more ubiquitous across 99% of situations where you’d need/want to plug your laptop in on the go. Think TVs, Projectors, Screen Capture devices. Converters from HDMI to professional standards like SDI are more prevalent too for large event/AV setups.

As USB 4 becomes standard, I think we’ll see a lot less of the legacy Display Port connectors and way more devices using USB-C for their display connection.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Cannot wait. I am still rocking my first Retina MBP from 2012. It is actually running quite well, even with BigSur on it but it is still time to upgrade it. I was just waiting for the "redesign". It will be great not having to miss the SD-Card Slot or HDMI as I still have it right now.

14 inch, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB (everything is in the cloud) for me please!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
but still, he says that no bigger imac or new macbook air...so if that will happen....
Its clear he has real sources

For sure he has sources he’s still the most dependable leaker but he knows more than he says that’s all I’m saying here. His track record is important to him and why he sometimes says this may appear not that it’s coming to save himself if it doesn’t

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
For sure he has sources he’s still the most dependable leaker but he knows more than he says that’s all I’m saying here. His track record is important to him and why he sometimes says this may appear not that it’s coming to save himself if it doesn’t
Not hard to connect the dots here, his Tim Cook puppet, apple feed him controlled leaks and tell him when to leak them.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I'll be in for the 14" MBP with 32GB RAM and 1TB storage. Currently using a base model 2014 13" MBP which I basically ran out of storage on a couple of years ago.

I'm in a very similar situation. Have a late-2013 15" MBP that I'm looking to replace. Definitely need 32 GB RAM and 1 TB of storage. I'm torn between the 14" and 16" but will probably go with the 14" to make it a bit easier to travel with, particularly if the internal specs are the same as rumored. This event can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: Matthew.H
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.