Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I can't think of a single time I ran into someone not accepting AMEX.

A slewful of commercials ring a bell:

There have been plenty of other commercials like this, especially that popped up around the time of the Olympics.

BL.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
We’ve been ruled by a dozen entities for decades. The top 12 billionaires have their hands in everything. What you need to watch out for are the companies that set value. I’m talking how everyone is using the same algorithm to set rent prices, basically colluding on price fixing without actual people doing it. Or how the parent company of Kelly Blue Book is Cox Enterprises.

They own Autotrader, a bunch of car auction houses, they have huge lots full of cars in the middle of nowhere so they can manipulate used car prices to keep their fees high, they have companies that help Auto Dealers in marketing, they have companies that aid in auto finance, they own Cox Communications and Cox Media which own a lot of the communication infrastructure for cable and also television and radio stations and companies that sell ads to television and radio stations. They also bought Axios and have an huge stake in Rivian. And that’s just one example of a mega-conglomorate but what they do affects all of us in driving up cost and then burying that by owning a big chunk of the media, lol. I probably sound like a conspiracy nutbag for the uninitiated, but look it up, it’s crazy and true.
It's pretty scary. The crazy thing the concentration of power is becoming more global than national. It's hard not to be cynical and think everything is a conspiracy when we are lied on a daily basis by the government and media.

MyOwnDrummer

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2022
USA
For sure will be cancelling my Apple Card if chase take over. They are the reason I don’t get the Marriott card, or anything with chase . Same reason I canceled my united and Amazon prime , they are terrible and their customer service is horrible. The worse credit card out there . I’ll take anything else before chase .
I’ve had nothing but excellent service from them for years. 5 cards with them.

Reactions: golfnut1982

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I live in New Zealand (but am from the US) and I got my Apple Card so I could use it overseas with no foreign transaction fee. I currently only use it for foreign purchases using US money. If they switch to Amex, the Apple Card is 100% worthless to me and I'll have to find another fee-free card with no foreign transaction fees. I also ditched Amex Savings (which had terrible customer service) for the Apple Savings account, which had a better interest rate at the time. I definitely will not switch back to Amex for savings, so will also need to find a new savings account. I already have a Chase credit card as my primary US card, so I will likely stick with Apple Card and Apple Savings if they move over to Chase. But if it's Amex, Apple Card is dead to me.

Oh, and I'm also a 'deadbeat'. I have only ever paid credit card interest once, and I got that refunded because it was due to my autopay automictically expiring and not notifying me (early 2000s problem).
AMEX Delta Skymiles Blue is 0$/yr, 0 foreign fees, 1mi/$, 2mi/$ in restaurants and has good supplemental coverages.

We carry that, Costco Visa and the Apple MC, the latter of the two have no supplemental coverages.

So for Costco, we use, well have to use, Costco Visa (or some kind of VISA). For everywhere else we use Apple MC via Apple Pay (2% kickback), and for items that need warranty extension, etc. we use the AMEX card.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I wouldn't mind if Chase took over Apple Card. I'm already a Chase banking customer and have been very happy with them, so bring it on.

One small benefit for me will be payments likely becoming instant since it'd be within the same bank.
If it is Chase, part of the deal needs to be free use of Chase ATM's using Apple Pay as authentication.

Reactions: phillytim

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
All really good points. I am not sure though on Amex World Class prestige anymore. When I travel to other Countries, a lot of places don’t even take Amex, as their fees are the highest. Even when I go to Canada it is hit or miss. Amex is my favorite card, but the lack of acceptance, especially in Canada is frustrating.
I've noticed that more places that aren't tourist oriented have begun to accept AMEX. Our local McDonalds was a long time hold-out but started accepting AMEX about 2 years ago after a change in ownership.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Where? In a certificate?
UFB Direct. HYSA at 5.25%. No strings but 3 family members, including me, with mid-800's FICO, long credit histories, and same address for 20 years were all rejected over the past few days without explanations.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Pretty much. They’re probably the main choice. I don’t really use Apple card as it is besides the default for iTunes. I get like a 2 dollar charge each month for iCloud. Apple Card kinda sucks.
For things that don't have a warranty, the 2% Apple Pay rebate is good. We never had a problem with the card.

• Haha
Reactions: cardfan

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I felt similarly frustrated that the Apple GS SA's yield remained at 4.15% far longer than I preferred. For months now I ship any amounts > $100 over to TreasuryDirect and simply purchase T-Bills. I liked seeing my balance in GS increase over time, but not at the expense of seeing the yield fall further and further behind the alternatives.
I saw somebody comment on T-bills in one of the previous Apple Card articles. Maybe it was you.

I've never used Treasury Direct, thought about doing so, would you mind giving some tips and warnings based on your experience? Thanks in advance for any help you give!

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
We’ve been ruled by a dozen entities for decades. The top 12 billionaires have their hands in everything. What you need to watch out for are the companies that set value. I’m talking how everyone is using the same algorithm to set rent prices, basically colluding on price fixing without actual people doing it. Or how the parent company of Kelly Blue Book is Cox Enterprises.

They own Autotrader, a bunch of car auction houses, they have huge lots full of cars in the middle of nowhere so they can manipulate used car prices to keep their fees high, they have companies that help Auto Dealers in marketing, they have companies that aid in auto finance, they own Cox Communications and Cox Media which own a lot of the communication infrastructure for cable and also television and radio stations and companies that sell ads to television and radio stations. They also bought Axios and have an huge stake in Rivian. And that’s just one example of a mega-conglomorate but what they do affects all of us in driving up cost and then burying that by owning a big chunk of the media, lol. I probably sound like a conspiracy nutbag for the uninitiated, but look it up, it’s crazy and true.
Wow, I wasn't aware of this expanse of their holdings. They've been pretty good at flying under the radar then.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
A slewful of commercials ring a bell:

There have been plenty of other commercials like this, especially that popped up around the time of the Olympics.

BL.
LoL, the people who created that commercial are long into retirement.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Chase would be great. I haven't really been happy with the rewards for the Chase Freedom card lately but Chase as a service is pretty good. I would consider this a decent switch.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
LoL, the people who created that commercial are long into retirement.

True, but the issue here is how well Visa is accepted worldwide, versus AMEX, which may not be accepted worldwide. If Apple wants to take the Apple Card worldwide, AMEX may not be the right option.

BL.

Reactions: phillytim

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
AMEX is my best card, but I want an Apple Card VISA (to diversify, as I have a MC) - and I would hope either CapitalOne or Chase.

That's the way I want to see things go.

I would drop my Apple Card like a hot potato, should it fall into the clutches of Synchrony.

JustSomeInfo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2016
I defaulted on a credit card with Chase some 20 or so years ago. As a result, I can't get a Chase backed credit card. I already have an Apple Card. I'd be curious to see if Chase would take away my Apple Card.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I agree, I don’t want to completely say it sucks since there are much worse cards out there, but it’s rewards structure is pretty abysmal.
1.5% cards are about as low cash back as people are willing to go, 3% at a few retailers is not bad but at the same time plenty of cards beat that unless someone has specifically high spend at one of Apples 3% merchants, which seems hard to believe.

The Wallet app experience and its Apple financing are its greatest features to most people I would assume, but as far as I’m concerned it needs to be a 1.5%-2% cash back on ALL spending(mobile and swiping card) and ALSO have higher percentage categories if they choose.

It’s current rewards structure is clearly for people that want the simplicity and streamlined experience of Apple but don’t understand how to maximize their spending for the most cash back/points.

For a card with so much subprime accounts, it's probably one of the best if you can't get the best credit cards. The app is nice.
Should an apple branded card be offering cash back everywhere or should that be its main thing when so many do this already? Amazon's is 5%. Redeem credits on amazon when purchasing. Best Buy is 5-6%. Or I'm using a chase card to get points which are much more valuable for me than a simple cash back card.

This isn't a card I want to use everywhere and honestly I doubt Apple could make it compelling enough for me to do so unless it stepped up and quit offering cash back. Offer 5-6% rewards points to be redeemed at Apple and we're talking or at least I'm now considering buying at Apple vs best buy or others. Throw in applecare+ (2 years) on everything I buy with it and we're really talking and I don't ever consider others.
For people in the "credit card points maximizing" game, I agree that there are typically better cards out there than the Apple Card. For Apple enthusiasts though - it has a place. I use a Chase Sapphire Preferred (especially for travel at 3x) and Amex Gold (especially for restaurants at 4x). I only use the Apple Card for 1) Apple on-going purchases (iCloud, Apple Fitness, etc.), 2) Mobil for gas (works out that it's a 3% category and my go-to gas station where I live), 3) Apple hardware purchases to get the 0% financing (just got my wife the iPhone 15 Pro with 0% for 24 months), 4) Places that aren't Travel / Restaurants (so otherwise would be 1% on my CSP/Amex) that take Apple Pay and I can get the 2%.

The 4.15% HYSA is nice, although given I'm not putting big $ through, it's more just a nice-to-have. Chase UR points and Amex MR points are more valuable given the ability to transfer to airline / hotel chains, but those are annual fee cards. The Apple Card is not bad for a fee-free card with the smooth UI / Wallet app.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
American Express (Amex) may be Apple's new partner. I think Apple and American Express would work well together, and Visa and MasterCard would face more competition worldwide, as this would push both physical and online stores worldwide to accept payments from American Express.

Which would be harder to do, especially if AMEX is depending on Apple (let alone any other company/entity) to help them expand worldwide. Additionally, this runs a bit counter to Apple's moves to get Apple Pay let alone the Apple Card available in other countries, like S. Korea and Australia, where they are already working with other card issuers for those countries. It would suck if The Apple Card would work for users of one country at a given store but would NOT work for users of another country at that same store.

With that said, as much talk that has been going on about Chase being the likely option for the Apple Card, everyone is also forgetting about the other elephant in the room: Citi.

Citi does have a big enough footprint around the world as Chase and can issue cards with both Visa and MC, so they may be another option.

BL.

Reactions: JBaby

Drew1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
American Express (Amex) may be Apple's new partner. I think Apple and American Express would work well together, and Visa and MasterCard would face more competition worldwide, as this would push both physical and online stores worldwide to accept payments from American Express.
Yeah, it does make sense. AMEX partnerships are very 2 way and each party needs to be on the same “premium” page. I feel that Apple will stick with their “my way or the highway” attitude and if that’s the case, their options are limited.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I wonder if Apple would consider Siri and form a partnership with Costco.

While I know worldwide acceptance is the goal, Costco unfortunately isn’t located worldwide, and I still haven’t had the chance to test if a US membership works overseas, as I know they have warehouses in Australia.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.