Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
It's going to be a new "revolutionary" feature to entice people to upgrade machines...well, that in conjunction with garbage baseline specs of non-upgradeable RAM/SSD.. They can't release all the possible features at once...because then who'd buy 2 years from now's model? Take a look at the 2012 MBP, people are still rocking those. You think Apple is happy about that?
They sold the 2012 MBP until nearly the end of 2016, the newest of them purchased new are only 4.5 years old, so yeah, I think Apple is fine with people still using them.

Reactions: 09872738

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Folks, you heard it from me first:
- new Mac will keep coming in the next couple of years
- they will have thinner bazels and newer screen tech
- As they will be launched, they will be the best Mac to date
Thinner bezels is the one to back out of and still be 2/3 right, remember how long iMacs took to reduce bezels?

dschlosser15

Cancelled
Jun 3, 2016
I really appreciate all my Apple devices especially my MacBook Pro but honestly Windows machines have had face id for years now.

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
Apple might intend to use it for banking. But I don't like it so much. Many people I know cover their cameras and don't want to possibly be monitored all the time (not necessarily by Apple).
Will companies secretly watch you computing and monitor where exactly you look at and how long and what your facial expressions and suspected mood might be?

I would not want my Mac to become some hidden HomePod or even Alexa. And I don't need Siri and such listening in all the time.

If I'd have to pick something I'd prefer touch ID over face ID.

Last edited:

dypeterc

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Actually, they could have both and let the end user decide if they want to use FaceID, TouchId, FaceID and TouchID or any of the above along with 2FA via text/call/email. The camera will be FaceID capable anyway and they are working on screens (right now aimed at iPhones/iPads) with built in touchId.

Plus your iPhone or watch can also unlock….
Apple’s MO isn’t redundancy. Open with Watch is the farthest I can see them going. Plus it’s another selling point for the Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.