Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Choices? Between douche and turd? LOL, what a 'choice.'

Come back when they have meaningful differences between products and not dumping outdated technology as a 'choice.'
uhh.. yeah sure.. the iphone X and 8 are super outdated.... or the airpods... or homepod...

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The next stage is to introduce a HD audio streaming service.

All good having higher quality Earduds/earphones, but the source needs to be beefed up to hammer home how enveloping wireless portable audio could become.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Got a pair of homepods for 400. Even then, I still feel like I paid too much for what I got. People paying 349 each are a bit insane..lol Apple has a lot of work to do.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Apple are now so obsessed with hiking their premium.

Old Apple would say "this is expensive but the experience is worth it".

New Apple knows it's taking the piss and so has to keep multiple generations of the same same product alive just to cover a reasonable price point.

5 generations of phones, 3 generations of watches (Series 2 dropped but Series 1 kept going), 2 generations of wireless earphones...
[doublepost=1529958586][/doublepost]
Hey Apple, you really want to make AirPods high end?

Here's a feature: Create a Handoff feature for the AirPods to switch their connection between the iPhone and the Mac more seamlessly.

With my bluetooth headphones and speaker this happens automatically by pressing pause on the phone and play on the mac. I assume this would already work with AirPods? Bluetooth shouldn't need a "handoff" since you can be connected to multiple devices simultaneously.

Last edited:

AndySummers

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2018
Toronto
I'm glad I waited on the HomePod. It seriously needs to get unplugged and have a battery. The iPad is the same cost and it may not have the speaker thorough-put but it has a screen, wifi, etc.

The HomePod would be a great portable.

I just bought a HomePod with the (maybe) hope that I would get more as time moves on.

I'm at the early edge of discovering features and values but can't fault the quality of the sound. The next iteration would really benefit from being untethered, with the usual "don't wander out of wifi" cautions.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
The only downside is after a year of fairly regular use, battery life is down a bit...
Totally spot on man. I had to get a new pair recently and was blown away by how much better the battery life was compared to my old ones I had to charge almost everyday
[doublepost=1529959806][/doublepost]
Yeah, because as a consumer why would I want more choices? Why does it bother people when a near trillion dollar company has a lot of SKUs? I dont understand that complaint, at all.
The only time fragmentarion really matters is in the Android world where you buy something and it doesn’t get support. New pair of air pods? I think we’ll all be ok

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What's "they don't have a good AI"?

The HomePod's AI is as good as any other in the market, and more secure for Home Automation, speaking of which, HomeKit simply kills Google and Amazons offerings, no chance.

For asking random questions, people don't do that, and it's better Siri silence than false information that Google's device says.

Umm, I'm not sure if you are joking here, as I have to assume you are.
If not, you must be the only person on the Planet Earth who thinks Siri is as good as Amazon or Google's AI.

And Google giving out false information to questions. Really, where did you get that from?
No AI is perfect, but it's the 1st time I've ever heard anyone accuse Google AI for giving out false info.

Reactions: Regime2008

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Mine, pronoun, used to refer to a thing or things belonging to or associated with the speaker. :rolleyes:

Point duly noted.

This is a fallacious argument, more specifically, Excluded Middle (False Dichotomy, Faulty Dilemma, Bifurcation): assuming there are only two alternatives when in fact there are more.

There are numerous examples of headphones that are both excellent "sounding" and comfortable. Hence, your implication that a consumer should be satisfied with one while sacrificing the other is disingenuous at best. ;)
Not really. It’s just more my personal experience. I have owned a couple of headphones prior to the Airpods, and while they undeniably sound better, they are also more uncomfortable to wear.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no issues with leaving the Airpods in my ears for hours on end, even when I am not listening to anything. And because it’s more comfortable to use, this in turn leads to me using it more.

I am sticking with my Airpods for life.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I like Apple... If they fail to make sales with Homepod, they go back to the drawing board and try again rather than "just give up"

Dunno what the solution is as why their low. but i'll give credit.

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
Not really. It’s just more my personal experience. I have owned a couple of headphones prior to the Airpods, and while they undeniably sound better, they are also more uncomfortable to wear.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no issues with leaving the Airpods in my ears for hours on end, even when I am not listening to anything. And because it’s more comfortable to use, this in turn leads to me using it more.

I am sticking with my Airpods for life.

Dude, listen, it's all fine and dandy to post your personal preference/experience but do not fall into the mistake of using your experience to make a sweeping, general assertion. It's why the tone of your posts come off as obnoxious, arrogant and self-centred. ;)

Let's stick with facts.

For example, your earlier comment was an example of false dichotomy whether you're willing to accept it or not. Fact.:p

Another example, this comment of yours implies that outside of the headphones you've used in the past, there does not exist any headphones that are both comfortable and excellent sounding. That simply is not true. Just search the endless audiophile websites in which experts have rated many other headphones higher than airpods. Again, fact.:)

This next point however isn't fact but I just wanted to say that I feel sorry for anything, animate or inanimate, that has to stick with you for life. JOKING! Just trying to lighten the atmosphere :p

In reality the airpods were a success because they are CONVENIENT. That is and always will be their strength/selling point. It seems to me that if Apple wanted them to be more successful it would be easietr to strive to offer that convienence at a lower price point rather than attempt to compete against the more upscale audio makers, I mean look at what happened with the homepod experiment.
[doublepost=1529966913][/doublepost]
Just make them any colour but white. I can’t have tampons in my ears (well not in public).

Eventually they will offer other colours but only as a final attempt to squeeze out a few more sales when demand starts to dry up. It's business 101 and one of Tim's favourite moves.

Case in point, red iPhone. Only a naive individual would assume they do it for charity, especially when you consider the fact that they don't offer one on initial release of the iPhone, don't offer an iPhone X in red because it happens to be the best selling iPhone every week and the fact that it's always made available half way through the product cycle.

Last edited:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I guess I missed the price increase on the iPhone from 2007-2013. The current iPad is cheaper than the first gen iPad was.
Bought my wife an iPad - 3rd Gen, 16GB - $529, then a 5th Gen, 128GB - $475 - a little cheaper but a lot more storage.
[doublepost=1529967305][/doublepost]
Dude, listen, it's all fine and dandy to post your personal preference/experience but do not fall into the mistake of using your experience to make a sweeping, general assertion. It's why the tone of your posts come off as obnoxious, arrogant and self-centred. ;)

Let's stick with facts.

For example, your earlier comment was an example of false dichotomy whether you're willing to accept it or not. Fact.:p

Another example, this comment of yours implies that outside of the headphones you've used in the past, there does not exist any headphones that are both comfortable and excellent sounding. That simply is not true. Just search the endless audiophile websites in which experts have rated many other headphones higher than airpods. Again, fact.:)

But let's extend the logic of your argument, if the airpods are the perfect combination of sound & comfort, then why are Apple going to release higher end airpods? Could it be because like other headphones out there, Apple believes they can make a better product that is both better in sound and comfort?;)

In reality the airpods were a success because they are CONVENIENT. That is and always will be their strength/selling point. It seems to me that if Apple wanted them to be more successful it would be easietr to strive to offer that convienence at a lower price point rather than attempt to compete against the more upscale audio makers, I mean look at what happened with the homepod experiment.
[doublepost=1529966913][/doublepost]

Eventually they will offer other colours but only as a final attempt to squeeze out a few more sales when demand starts to dry up. It's business 101 and one of Tim's favourite moves.

Case in point, red iPhone. Only a naive individual would assume they do it for charity, especially when you consider the fact that they don't offer one on initial release of the iPhone, don't offer an iPhone X in red because it happens to be the best selling iPhone every week and the fact that it's always made available half way through the product cycle.

Hope you hear from the moderators for being so "obnoxious, arrogant and self-centered" in the attack on someone providing his/her personal experience.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California

Apple's audio device strategy has been highlighted today in a new report by Bloomberg, which looked forward to 2019 and the launch of the "higher-end" third-generation AirPods, next HomePod, and previously rumored over-ear headphones from Apple.

homepod-airpods.jpg

For the AirPods, next year's model is believed to be water resistant "to protect against rain and perspiration," which Bloomberg previously reported in February. In the new report, Mark Gurman and Debby Wu add that Apple is also working to introduce noise cancellation and increase the range that the AirPods can work away from iPhone or iPad, citing people familiar with Apple's plans.
Additionally, the third-generation AirPods -- coming after this fall's expected second-generation update with "Hey Siri" support -- are expected to cost "more than the existing $159 pair." This is believed to cause Apple to "segment" the AirPods line like it does with iPhones, with a lower-cost model and a higher-cost model that has more features. One of these advanced features could also be a biometric sensor "like a heart-rate monitor."

Continuing its audio device push, Apple is eyeing an early 2019 debut for its over-ear headphones, after facing "development challenges" during its original late 2018 launch schedule. Bloomberg described the device as a "higher-end alternative to the company's Beats line," but otherwise didn't give any new details on features that could be coming to the headphones.

Lastly, the report quickly mentions that the second version of the HomePod is set to debut "as early as next year." Apple may also switch production on the smart speaker away from Inventec for the new model, in an overall shakeup of Apple's supply chain in regards to its audio devices. Sources said the company is looking to expand its partnership with Foxconn, which mainly helps manufacture the iPhone, and simultaneously lessen its reliance on Inventec, which helped supply AirPods and HomePod.

While updates to AirPods and HomePod have been expected, rumors first appeared for Apple's "own-branded" over-ear headphones back in February from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The audio accessory is expected to be "as convenient as AirPods" but with superior sound quality, active noise cancellation technology, and a price tag aimed at the high-end market.

Article Link: Gurman: Higher-End AirPods to Launch in 2019, New HomePod and Over-Ear Headphones Also Likely Next Year

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
Hope you hear from the moderators for being so "obnoxious, arrogant and self-centered" in the attack on someone providing his/her personal experience.

I chose my words carefully, no where in that comment do I call him obnoxious, arrogant or self centered. I'm simply stating that the tone of his posts sound like that to me, so does that mean I'm at fault for saying how I interpret posts now?

Furthermore, in the original post I replied to, no where does he state or even imply that it's his personal experience so I feel I was entirely within my rights to point that out.

Lastly where were you when other people posted worse comments?

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Unlike some folks in this thread, I'm no fan of AirPods. Reason: they don't even come close to fitting my ears (so I'm forced to stick to BeatsX which come with a choice of tips, one of which works fine for me). This reliance on a one-size-fits-all take-it-or-leave-it approach serves as a kind of metaphor for Apple at its paternalistic worst: we know what's good for you better than you do, Joni Ives' idea of how a browser ought to look is better than any idea you could possibly have so we're not going to let you make any modifications of your own and so forth and so on. I thought the idea of personal computing was to empower the end user as much as possible, but up in Cupertino they seem to think otherwise.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Something with base and sound isolation, I would definitely buy. Otherwise it's just wireless earpods.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I'm not sure what about the HomePod hardware needs improving. It's a great speaker. Whatever criticism it's come in for have been about the software, and the software is upgradeable.

Reactions: cliffster82

dirt_farmer

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2018
That sounds great! I look forward to buying these when they come out!

PS don't do anything about shipping a working laptop, Tim.

And whatever you do, don't invent the Next Big Thing.

Just ship more iJingles and iBlingles and iDongles and iSchlongles.

MARGIN! MARGIN!

MARGARINE!

Tim's going to balance sheet the place right into irrelevance.

What doesn't Tim understand about there ALREADY BEING CONSUMER ELECTRONICS COMPANIES.

Making white headphones and white bluetooth speakers and white watch straps is a nice way to pad the balance sheet, but it can't distract you from your core focus.

At a technology company, the core focus needs to be...guess what?

Reactions: MBAir2010

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I think it makes sense to have two versions of AirPods. The first model will have a price drop and I bet they'll start bundling them with iPhone as soon as they remove the lighting port.
I'd love an in-ear version of them, or at least a way to provide some sound isolation.

I bet that they will not start bundling them with iPhone as soon as they remove the lighting port.

How much are we betting?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I would really appreciate if Apple could finally decide to build f*ing computers once in a while.

They are earnestly intent on descending to become a home entertainment company.
MacBook Pro and iMac are updated every year, 12” MacBook also (but not this year if Intel can’t deliver any new CPUs). MacBook Air is sold at a price point and will never get yearly updates. Mac Pro should have been updated a couple years ago, they blew it there. That takes care of 98-99% of the lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.