Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 18 update will introduce new features for further customizing the iPhone's home screen, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman claimed that Apple will allow users to change the color of app icons in iOS 18. For example, "you can make all your social icons blue or finance-related ones green." This kind of home screen customization is currently only possible by creating single-action shortcuts with a custom icon that serve to launch an app.

Gurman also corroborated previous reports that iOS 18 will allow users to place apps anywhere on the home screen's grid. This will enable users to arrange icons more freely, similar to how widgets can currently be placed.

iOS 18 is expected to be previewed alongside Apple's other major software updates at WWDC in June, before officially releasing to the public in the fall.

Article Link: Gurman: iOS 18 Will Allow Users to Recolor App Icons and Place Them Anywhere

Last edited:

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Assuming this will be up to the given app developers to enable? Would be very interesting if it’s a forced global option.

More customization is awesome, but I think about other major necessities like a keychain.app to compete against dedicated password managers etc

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never understood why people wanted to be able to put blank spaces on their home screens. Wouldn't you want your home screen filled with apps so you don't have to scroll home screens as much?

I prefer organizing my most-used apps into folders rather than swiping from screen-to-screen. But most of my navigation is done via Search anyway. Pull down and type, if the app is not already smartly suggested. Smart suggestions are very smart. If I've driven into my local McDonald's, it suggests the McDonald's app. 🤣

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I never understood why people wanted to be able to put blank spaces on their home screens. Wouldn't you want your home screen filled with apps so you don't have to scroll home screens as much?
I keep very few apps on my iPhone. I have 2 rows of apps plus my iPhone dock. The top layers are filled with widgets that I’d most likely remove if this rumor is true. I just use search or the App Library for anything else.

jdavid_rp

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2020
In my case I like to have just two rows of most used apps and then space for the wallpaper, the issue is that having just two rows makes all icons to align on top, making it difficult to tap them with one hand. Although widgets kind of fixed this, I would prefer to just be able to align icons bottom to top.

I loved tweaks like Boxy, where I could make them smaller and align them to bottom so I had my wallpaper really pop up

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
UPDATE Jun 30, 2024

Beginning today, the redesigned iPhone OS and new iPad OS both powered by Apple silicon, are now available. Offered with Generative AI the first time, the new iOS is more powerful and versatile than ever with phenomenal performance, all new App colors, and better App placement. The groundbreaking new iOS takes a huge leap forward with the new Ultra Retina XDR App colors and next-level performance of the new exclusive colors — all in an incredibly snappy and intuitive design that makes it the best iOS ever. You're going to love it.

Last edited:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Assuming this will be up to the given app developers to enable? Would be very interesting if it’s a forced global option.

More customization is awesome, but I think about other major necessities like a keychain.app to compete against dedicated password managers etc

100% chance it will be built in similar to Android phones. No Developer APIs required.

Reactions: Cesar Battistini

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
Better that iOS and iPadOS adopted the icons from MacOS.

But it is wise of Apple to release a few simple functions at a time, so there is also some content for the next iOS. I only use the App Library, so custom colors of the apps are not relevant, but now you are in business (Apple) - can you give us the opportunity to customize the App Library, for example remove the latest folder (for those of us who do not downloads apps all the time), and let us move various apps into the desired categories ourselves.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019
Honestly I'd rather have the ability to recolor icons than half this AI ******** coming up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.