Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple abandoned its plans to release a new Mac mini model with the M1 Pro chip, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

m1-mac-mini.jpg

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said that Apple had been working on an M1 Pro version of the Mac mini and intended to launch the device at the end of 2021 or at the start of 2022. He previously said that the company is now focusing on new Mac mini models with the M2 and "M2 Pro" chips.

Apple is believed to have been working on a new Mac mini for some time. It updated the entry-level Mac mini with the M1 chip in November 2020, but the high-end offering is still the Space Gray model with an Intel processor from 2018.

In March, a report claimed that Apple originally "had plans" to introduce high-end versions of the Mac mini with M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, but they were "probably scrapped" in favor of the Mac Studio. That report also said that a new Mac mini is still in the works, with Apple skipping the M1 Pro and M1 Max to offer chips from the M2-series.

Leaker Jon Prosser said last year that Apple was working on a complete redesign for the small desktop computer, moving to a smaller chassis with a "plexiglass-like" top. Contrary to this rumor, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that Apple's next-generation Mac mini is likely to feature the same design as the current model, which is an aluminum unibody design that Apple has used for every new Mac mini since 2010. Like Kuo, Gurman has now said that the Mac mini will not "be getting any major redesign in the near term."

Article Link: Gurman: M1 Pro Mac Mini 'Now Off the Table' as Apple's Focus Turns to M2 and M2 Pro Options

headlessmike

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Is there really a place for a Pro Mac Mini? The Studio is essentially that device.
A $1399(ish) M1/2 Pro Mini would be the perfect machine for me. The Studio has the Max SOC as its base so there is currently no desktop using the "Pro" level M chips. It's an obvious gap, but filling it might hurt sales of the Studio more than Apple would like.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Is there really a place for a Pro Mac Mini? The Studio is essentially that device.
I think there absolutely is a place. I’ve been waiting a while to replace my 27” iMac but the Studio is way over-powered for my needs and at £2,600 with a 2TB SSD, hard to justify when a new monitor is also required

A well-spec’d M2 mini with decent SSD options would see me forking out for one

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
A $1399(ish) M1/2 Pro Mini would be the perfect machine for me. The Studio has the Max SOC as its base so there is currently no desktop using the "Pro" level M chips. It's an obvious gap, but filling it might hurt sales of the Studio more than Apple would like.
I think the comment reflects that a different model mini doesn’t need to exist, and they can just release a lower spec Mac Studio with a base M2/Pro.

It would be like the single processor 1.8GHz G5 Power Mac released well after the first gen G5’s to cater to a lower budget.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2021
The step-child of Apple‘s processors is the M1 Pro. It only exists in MacBooks and sits between the base level chip and the Max. It would make perfect sense for Apple to slap one into a Mac Mini and offer an upgraded option for a relatively low price. Putting a Max in a Mac Mini is a bit overkill IMO with the Studio already available. The M1 Pro is perhaps the perfect chip for a majority of users and it would be smart for Apple to show it some love in the M2 line-up.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I think I need this guy's job.
Even I could have predicted this as soon as the Mac Studio arrived.
In other 'news', this year or next year or some time I dare not be specific, we are going to see the release of the iPhone 14 range, the M1-equipped base iPad, and M2-equipped iPad Pros and 14" and 16" M2 MBPs.
Follow me for more 'shocking' revelations you'd never have guessed for yourself.

headlessmike

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
I think the comment reflects that a different model mini doesn’t need to exist, and they can just release a lower spec Mac Studio with a base M2/Pro.

It would be like the single processor 1.8GHz G5 Power Mac released well after the first gen G5’s to cater to a lower budget.
I'd be okay with that too, more ports is always nice on a desktop. Though I suspect that the cooling on the Studio would be overkill for an M1 Pro and that the Mini's cooling would be sufficient, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

diggy33

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I think that $1500 price would be great, otherwise it would make more sense just to go with a Studio. My problem with it is would that be the cap, or the starting point?

Man I hadnt even thought of that

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
I'd still like to see a Pro Mac Mini with the M2 chip variant in the Space Grey 2018 Mac Mini form factor. I'm not sure it will happen though, with the Mac Studio really filling that gap. The base/mid level Mac Studio spec wise is perfect, it just looks ugly - I still can't get used to it's utilitarian design no matter how long I look at it!!

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2019
It’s a Mac Mini with an M1 Pro, not a “Mac Mini Pro”. Studio offers M1 Max and Ultra. This would cover all 4 M1 variants across desktop. Currently, the is no M1 Pro available on desktop. Only M1, M1 Max, and M1 Ultra. This will likely happen across M2 chips. It’s a bit late in the game to introduce any M1 machine of any kind.

Last edited:

tubular

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2011
Good question. If Apple could price the Mini at $1500 (or less...) there could be a market for it.
I'm writing this on a 2018 i7 BTO mini, about $1500 at the time and $1300 now for the same configuration. There isn't a headless Apple Silicon Mac in that spot right now, which means that if I had to replace my machine *today* I'd go for the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.