Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
so what is he "predicting"? nothing really ...
He is the GOAT. But come on now. We already know there's going to be an event in March or April. Anyone in here could have told him that.

Gurman stated:​

Apple gets ready for its first virtual event of 2022. Apple’s first virtual event of 2022 is coming up in just a few short months and is likely to take place in either March or April, I’m told.

What should we expect? Probably a new iPhone SE, at least. It was at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic in April 2020 that Apple ushered in the current iPhone SE.

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Brilliant for customers, but perhaps not so much for Apple. If they did this, who would buy the 5G SE?

Has 5G even truly penetrated the market to where it’s a must have feature? Most who are at the SE budget level would be perfectly happy with 4G.
You’d think, and hope that that would be the case, but in my experience, all of the 5G marketing nonsense is actually working.
Know several people who honestly think that 5G has given them dramatic speed improvements, when 95% of the time, they’re still on a 4G network and just don’t realize it.
So in short, yes, customers will pay the extra, especially when it’s on One of the installment plans all of the carriers push.
“You’re telling me that it’s only an extra five bucks a month for 5G? Sure, why not.”

Reactions: femike

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
He is the GOAT. But come on now. We already know there's going to be an event in March or April. Anyone in here could have told him that.

Guman stated:​

Apple gets ready for its first virtual event of 2022. Apple’s first virtual event of 2022 is coming up in just a few short months and is likely to take place in either March or April, I’m told.

What should we expect? Probably a new iPhone SE, at least. It was at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic in April 2020 that Apple ushered in the current iPhone SE.
Rumors this year feel rather weak, whatever Apple did last year to knock down on leaks seems to be paying off - for them, not so much for Gurman and definitely not for that other guy, forgot his name, starts with a P if I recall right…

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Personally I'm not interested in 5G yet. Apple could probably skip 5G for the SE model and it wouldn't lose sales much at all. It just would increase of the phone.

I hope the new iphone SE retains the bezels, home button and LCD screen. I would like to see it with a min 4G ram (6g would be nice), current CPU, latest BT and wifi standards, bigger battery if physically possible, and other updates to the internals.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
You know what would be an absolutely brilliant move?
Introduce the new 5G iPhone SE at 399 just like the current one… and cut the price of the 4G version by half, so it starts at $249.
Boom! Most affordable iPhone ever, plus they just replaced the aging iPod touch with one little swoop.
gurman suggested the same thing in the MR podcast he was on recently
Then it must be plastic with non-laminated screen, 16GB of storage, 2.4Ghz only wifi, 480p front camera, 1080p main camera, 1000 mAh battery, powered by S4 chip from the old Apple Watch.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wouldn’t the chassis need to be slightly tweaked for the 5G antenna? Unless it doesn’t support mmWave, like the iPhone 12 outside the US.

I don’t think it’ll support mmWave for $399, especially since it will come with 3GB RAM.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Guessing a march or April event is kinda just speculating he doesn’t have any inside sources

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How about an SE+ model?
Isn’t the whole point of the SE designated to be more ‘budget-affordable conscious’? By adding a secondary iPhone SE Plus, would only put Apple in a position that would cost more to manufacture/cost of marketing, ect, which then in return charge a higher price to the consumer. By keeping this phone the way it is in its current form and spec’, keeps the price to a minimum.

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Can't wait for desktop options with M1 Max, I need to match the performance from my MBP M1 Pro beast ... and finally play again unleashing the 32 GPU cores :D

Regarding the iPhone SE 3rd version and now with confirmations that it will have same body, no reason to keep faith for more battery; so most certainly I'll stick with SE 2nd till 2023-2024 and then maybe, see if they can follow the way they did with the new MBP's, and opt for a non-so sleek design that they can afford to pack more "juice".

Last edited:

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
is anyone else not getting the gurman newsletter to their gmail? ive signed up multiple times and maybe received it once or twice. not in spam either.

oh well, at least i know good old mac rumors will post the highlights.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Isn’t the whole point of the SE designated to be more ‘budget-affordable conscious’? By adding a secondary iPhone SE Plus, would only put Apple in a position that would cost more to manufacture/cost of marketing, ect, which then in return charge a higher price to the consumer. By keeping this phone the way it is in its current form and spec’, keeps the price to a minimum.
True. A second SKU adds to the equation.

That said, using existing parts from a older models like an iPhone 8 Plus wouldn’t require new moulds and keep costs somewhat lower.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
True. A second SKU adds to the equation.

That said, using existing parts from a older models like an iPhone 8 Plus wouldn’t require new moulds and keep costs somewhat lower.
Yes, that’s valid too. But you still have licensing costs [Legal & regulatory], marketing, packaging materials, it all accounts for additional labor. Plus, I just don’t think that makes sense for a Plus, and the other side of this, is that Apple wouldn’t want I assume, is probably one of those two model phones cannibalizing the other.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
one thing I question does this really have to be a yearly thing, I feel apple should start working on better software than keep making new expensive phones yearly

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
Maybe they would pack the same battery as the iPhone 7 (1960 mAh) which is bigger than the 8 and current SE alongside the more efficient A15 chip and 5G.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The battery life will be even worse on this new 5G iphone SE if they keep the same 1800mah
Hope Apple place at least 2000mah
Exactly. I don’t know who downvoted you but you’re exactly right, this equation doesn’t seem to work by just replacing the SoC and the modem.

The current battery life of iPhone 8/SE2 is questionable at best, specially with iOS 15. With a higher demanding modem and a SoC as powerful as the A15, the next SE should have a bigger battery, either by making the phone a bit thicker, or using a narrower logic board to allow a bigger battery.

If I had to wish anything else for the next SE, I’d like to have a slightly bigger screen (with the same iPhone 8 body that we know it will have). I think they could make the screen a bit bigger vertically.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The most interesting part would be which modem it use, X55 in iPhone 12, or X60 in 13. Or they make a leap to X65 to offer better battery life while disabling a lot of advanced 5G features?

It would always make sense to test out Apple's 5G modem in an entry level iPhone. But the timing doesn't fit.
I’ll only purchase it if it has the same Qualcomm X60, which is built at 5nm and offers less power consumption (and better radio capabilities). If it carries an X55 I will wait and think if I’m willing to get an iPhone 13 mini despite the problems with face masks.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wouldn’t the chassis need to be slightly tweaked for the 5G antenna? Unless it doesn’t support mmWave, like the iPhone 12 outside the US.
I was thinking this, exactly. I don’t think they can add a mmWave antena and honesty I won’t miss it (it’s the least appealing 5G technology for me honestly), but even with the regular 5G bands, we’ll have to wait and see if the reception is the same as with the 13 lineup.

It will be interesting to see if they add WiFi 6 as well.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
You know what would be an absolutely brilliant move?
Introduce the new 5G iPhone SE at 399 just like the current one… and cut the price of the 4G version by half, so it starts at $249.
Boom! Most affordable iPhone ever, plus they just replaced the aging iPod touch with one little swoop.
gurman suggested the same thing in the MR podcast he was on recently
But they won’t. Just look at what they did with the Apple Watch Series 3 it’s still for sale for $200. Apple historically has never offered a cheap device and I would imagine it’s because they don’t want to project the image of cheapness

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
You’d think, and hope that that would be the case, but in my experience, all of the 5G marketing nonsense is actually working.
Know several people who honestly think that 5G has given them dramatic speed improvements, when 95% of the time, they’re still on a 4G network and just don’t realize it.
So in short, yes, customers will pay the extra, especially when it’s on One of the installment plans all of the carriers push.
“You’re telling me that it’s only an extra five bucks a month for 5G? Sure, why not.”
Objectively speaking the new SE with get much better connectivity speeds in general because it will use a much better modem. The modem will also be more efficient(in 4G mode anyway) and the phone will have better reception. Also I don't think Qualcomm sells any dedicated 4G models right now, not on the latest manufacturing tech anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.