Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a larger 15-inch MacBook Air, an updated 13-inch MacBook Air, and an updated 13-inch MacBook Pro, and at least some of these new laptops will be announced at WWDC in June, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

MacBook-Air-Multiple-Sizes-Feature.jpg

In his newsletter today, Gurman said the new MacBooks coming at WWDC "probably won't" feature Apple's next-generation M3 chip, and will instead be powered by processors "in line with" the M2 chip. This information suggests the 15-inch MacBook Air will be powered by the M2 chip, but it's not entirely clear what it means for the 13-inch MacBook Air and the 13-inch MacBook Pro, as those models are already equipped with the M2 chip.

15-inch MacBook Air rumors began in early 2021, and it appears the laptop is nearing release. Apple's suppliers have reportedly ramped up production of 15-inch display panels for the laptop, and the machine recently surfaced in App Store developer logs.

Apple is expected to announce macOS 14 during the WWDC keynote on June 5, and Gurman does not expect the update to include major changes.

Article Link: Gurman: New MacBooks Will Be Announced at WWDC in June

Last edited:

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I'll hang onto my current Intel MBP and wait to get to the 15in MBA when the M3 comes to it. 3nm process is vastly superior to the M2's 5nm.

EDIT: Updating this to explain why I'm waiting for M3 15MBA instead of the M2 15MBA (because apparently, most commentators don't know why the M3 will be vastly superior to the M2).

My wait has nothing to do with the speed advantages of the M3 over the M2, which will be negligible for the tasks I use a laptop for. I'm waiting because the M3 is a next-gen 3nm chip and the M2 is an old-gen 5nm chip. The biggest advantage of 3nm over 5nm is the 3nm chip is 20-30% more energy efficient. So a M3 15MBA will have 20-30% better battery life than an M2 15MBA.

That is why I'm waiting – not for any speed bumps.

It's also why I am NOT waiting for the M4 or M5 15MBA, because both the M4 and M5 chips will be 3nm, too – just like the M3. That means the M3, M4, and M5 chips will all have the relatively same battery life. But their battery life will be 20-30% more than the M2.

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I still don't understand the 15" MBA not having M3.

If it doesn't, that means it will be a generation behind the 13" MBA and MBP when they are inevitably updated with M3 later this year. Or are we supposed to believe the 15" MBA will be announced at WWDC with M2 and then will be updated to M3 in the fall? Or the 13" MBA and MBP won't get updates until 2024?

And what about the Mac Pro? Is it really just going to be a Mac Studio in a big, empty chassis?

At this point I just want WWDC to happen so this can start making sense.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I still don't understand the 15" MBA not having M3.

If it doesn't, that means it will be a generation behind the 13" MBA and MBP when they are inevitably updated with M3 later this year. Or are we supposed to believe the 15" MBA will be announced at WWDC with M2 and then will be update to M3 in the fall? Or the 13" MBA and MBP won't get updates until 2024?

And what about the Mac Pro? Is it really just going to be a Mac Studio in a big, empty chassis?

At this point I just want WWDC to happen so this can start making sense.
Yep. I'm just gonna wait for the M3 version of the 15MBA.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
For those who dont want to wait article by article for everything here you go

the company is planning to unveil:

And these are 100% so KUO was wrong again ..he was the only one who said the reality headset is delayed by 2-3 months and not coming to wwdc

I'll hang onto my current Intel MBP and wait to get to the 15in MBA when the M3 comes to it. 3nm process is vastly superior to the M2's 5nm.
I think the first MacBooks that will carry the extremely powerful M3 chip would-be MacBook Pro 14" & 16" models. Which are due to announce in the first quarter of 2024. Possibly in January.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Makes one wonder if the baseline M3 could be based off of the A16, instead of the A17, which is what everyone is expecting.
Every iPhone outside of the pro is sticking with 5 nm this year, maybe the Mac is the same?
If the performance and efficiency gains are really as massive as people are thinking they will be, maybe Apple saves 3NM for the M3pro max and ultra.
Seems unlikely, but the A10 and A10X were on two different NM process, so… It’s not unheard of.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Makes one wonder if the baseline M3 could be based off of the A16, instead of the A17, which is what everyone is expecting.
Every iPhone outside of the pro is sticking with 5 nm this year, maybe the Mac is the same?
If the performance and efficiency gains are really as massive as people are thinking they will be, maybe Apple saves 3NM for the M3pro max and ultra.
Seems unlikely, but the A10 and A10X were on two different NM process, so… It’s not unheard of.

That's an interesting point. So maybe they are all getting M3, but M3 is not 3nm. And we'll have to wait for M3 Pro/Max or maybe even M4...

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Funny how he zero's in still on the Reality headset, which is still in doubt, yet the technology involved with the AS Mac Pro is a lot more needing to know how that is doing at WWDC.
I think Ming Chi Quo was off the mark when he suggested that Apple would wait until fall to announce the headset because the hardware was not ready yet. Of any of their products, the headset needs to be announced at WWDC. Even if it is not going to ship until fall, there is no downside to preannouncing it. It is a new product line so no danger of osbourning themselves. They need the attention of the developer community to start thinking about and working on software for the headset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.