Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may not have enough new products and features to launch to justify holding an event in October, leading it to unveil devices like the next-generation iPad Air via press release, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Air-2022-M1-Feature.jpg

On the latest episode of The MacRumors Show podcast, Gurman said that Apple will not introduce any new iPad models at its "Wonderlust" event next week, which is expected to focus on next-generation Apple Watches and iPhones only.

Gurman said that there is a new iPad Air with improved specifications in the works and the device is apparently "coming soonish." He added that "we may get an iPad refresh in October," not including the iPad Pro, which is not expected to be updated until next year.

Gurman believes that there will be a further Apple product launch in October, but expressed skepticism that an entire event will take place to introduce new devices. He said that it could be similar to the introduction of the M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro models earlier this year, which were announced via press release and a short video. Gurman claimed that October could see something "along those lines." "I'm not sure they have enough to drag people down to Cupertino to watch the video like they do for this [iPhone 15] launch," he added.

Yesterday, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that Apple will not launch new MacBook models with M3 chips before the end of this year. Previously, the introduction of the first MacBooks with the M3 chip were expected to take place at an Apple event in October. Listen to The MacRumors Show podcast for Gurman's full thoughts and expectations.

Article Link: Gurman: October Apple Event Unlikely, Upcoming iPad Air Refresh Could Arrive via Press Release Instead

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If no M3 Macs to announce in October, this is what I think too (but he gets paid for it).

iMac may go M2 with press release too, implying first M3s in Spring, 2024? And since base M3 apparently comes first, no M3 PRO & MAX Macs until Summer (WWDC) or Fall??? If so, I’m not seeing Apple do a full HQ show for only an iMac M3 and one iPad.

But I’ll ‘hope differently.’ ;)

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I knew with the launch of M2 in 15” Air that we were a while away from the M3, I suspect…

Press Release between October/January
iPad Air with M2
Spec bump to iPad mini

Spring 2024
M3 announcement
Mac mini M3
iMac M3
iPad Pro M3

WWDC 2024
MacBook Air 13 & 15 M3
MacBook Pro T/B M3

October 2024
M3 Pro/Max/Ultra announced
MacBook Pro 14 & 16
Mac Studio

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
We are going to see an iPad Pro mini on Tuesday.

Love to see this but wouldn't it steal the show from the iPhone? That's basically a permanently-unfolded iPhone Fold with pro features... at what will probably be about half an actual iPhone Fold/Roll price and fully usable for about 2X-3X longer than iPhones (the so called "long in tooth" effect).

And yes, install a VOIP app and it can be a phone & texting device too (buds with mic)- I already do this with cellular iPad Mini. Because telephony is only an app (like flashlight, tape measure, maps, etc) it works just fine for phone & texting functions too.

Last edited:

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
I'm going to call bollocks on Mark Gurman's Macbook Air and Pro 13 inch prediction. You watch his prediction slip leading up to the iPhone release.

The only prediction from him that looks likely is the 24 inch iMac release with M3 in October.
Ha, knew it! Back in July I said his M3 prediction was bollocks and going to slip leading up to the iPhone release and now here we have it.

Thanks Mark Gurman, for being unreliable as ever!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I knew with the launch of M2 in 15” Air that we were a while away from the M3, I suspect…

iPad Air with M2
Spec bump to iPad mini

Spring 2024
M3 announcement
Mac mini M3
iMac M3
iPad Pro M3

WWDC 2024
MacBook Air 13 & 15 M3
MacBook Pro T/B M3

October 2024
MacBook Pro 14 & 16
Mac Studio

Laptops should likely get the M3 first, as they are Apple’s most popular Macs. My guess is the M3 MBA next April. IPad Pro might come together, or via a press release.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

iPad Air with M2
Spec bump to iPad mini

Spring 2024
M3 announcement
Mac mini M3
iMac M3
iPad Pro M3

WWDC 2024
MacBook Air 13 & 15 M3
MacBook Pro T/B M3

October 2024
MacBook Pro 14 & 16
Mac Studio
I think this timeline is realistic, but I would say the MBA/13" MBP would come first in March 2023. There's plenty of precedent for Apple to go as little as 9 months between spec bumps so they needn't wait a full year for the 15" MBA (especially since the 13" will be going on 2 years old at that point).

I do however think it would be early 2025 before we see the M3 Ultra. That's historically trailed the debut of the Pro/Max variants by a few months (M1 Pro/Max 10/21 vs M1 Ultra 3/22; M2 Pro/Max 01/23 vs M2 Ultra 6/23). Unless Apple wants to get really aggressive and update the base M3 models in waves during Q1 2024 and debut the M3 Pro/Max at WWDC. Sadly if anything the Apple Silicon transition has made Apple slower, not faster at releasing refreshed models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.