Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seemingly delayed the launch of the redesigned MacBook Air until later this year, and will likely not launch new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models until 2023, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

14-16-inch-2021-mbps-back-to-back-feature.jpg

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that Apple originally planned to launch its new MacBook Air with "an all-new design, MagSafe, the M2 chip, and more" at the end of 2021 or in early 2022, but this timeframe has now seemingly slipped to the second half of 2022.

Apple analyst ‌Ming-Chi Kuo‌ expects mass production of the new MacBook Air to begin in the late second quarter or early third quarter, suggesting that the device could launch sometime around September.

Gurman also said that he does not expect Apple to update its high-end 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models this year, with an update bringing the "M2 Pro" and "M2 Max" chips being more likely to arrive next year. This year, Gurman said that the only MacBook Pro update will likely be a refreshed entry-level MacBook Pro with a 13-inch display and the M2 chip.

Launching a series of new Macs with the M2 chip toward the end of 2022 could take similar shape to how Apple unveiled the M1 MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and entry-level Mac mini in November 2020, suggesting that the company's M-series chips have a upgrade cycle of approximately two years. Other than the MacBook Air and the 13-inch MacBook Pro, the entry-level Mac mini, 24-inch iMac, and iPad Pro would also be viable candidates for the M2 chip, but timeframes for updates to these devices is still unclear.

Article Link: Gurman: Redesigned MacBook Air Delayed to Second Half of 2022, No New High-End MacBook Pro Likely Until Next Year

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
at the end of 2021 or in early 2022, but this timeframe has now seemingly slipped to the second half of 2022.

Reading this thinking "oh wow, that's quite a delay – end of this year or early next year!" then re-realising it's already 2022 – so this just means a few months from now. ?
Global pandemic has really messed with the sense of time in this timeline… ?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
That’s weird considering Kuo believes the new MacBook Air is coming with an M1 again… this makes me think that maybe Apple have the new Air ready to go, but are contemplating sticking an M1 in it to get it out the door sooner rather than later.

Tbh, for my use case I would 100% take the new redesign with M1 as it’s more than enough for me.

At this point all these leakers and analysts are guessing… Gurman is just thinking what is most likely to happen here and covering up his mid-2022 prediction with a ‘delay’ so therefore he isn’t technically wrong.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That’s weird considering Kuo believes the new MacBook Air is coming with an M1 again… this makes me think that maybe Apple have the new Air ready to go, but are contemplating sticking an M1 in it to get it out the door sooner rather than later.

Tbh, for my use case I would 100% take the new redesign with M1 as it’s more than enough for me.
I always thought it was odd that the MacBook Air got the same SoC as the MacBook Pro 13" at the same time.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Delayed means it will be using the A15, and the M2 Pro/Max next year will use the A15 too, however, the A17 for mobile would have been released by then. I find it unusual that the M2 Pro/Max would be based on a two year old architecture

daniel4

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
New York
Steve Jobs comments about how long it takes to develop technology like M1, then he discusses how long a company can exploit technology like M1 in the market place. 5 years to develop (10 for M1), and 5 years to exploit it in the market while competitors catch up.

Seems Mark Grumman should simply watch this talk instead of wild guesses:

(41:45 mark)

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Likely just a typo.
Possibly… but according to 9to5 he insisted he believes it coming with an M1… which makes me think it’s going to come earlier than Mark Gurman believes.

Attachments

• 535C653C-927F-4DCF-82AB-C75B3369DEFD.jpeg
    535C653C-927F-4DCF-82AB-C75B3369DEFD.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.