Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 models will deviate further from the iPhone 14 Pro models with different chips and Wide cameras, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iPhone-14-Mock-pill-and-hole-thumb.jpg

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman supported a range of rumors about the iPhone 14 lineup and affirmed that Apple is still working on satellite connectivity features. Gurman outlined how Apple is aiming to further differentiate its Pro and non-Pro iPhone models in the iPhone 14 lineup. The new 48-megapixel Wide camera will be exclusive to the Pro models, while the standard iPhone 14 models will retain a 12-megapixel Wide camera like the iPhone 13 lineup.

As first suggested by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, The non-Pro iPhone models "are likely to stick to the A15 from last year or a variant of it," while the Pro models will feature Apple's new A16 chip. Gurman added that beyond an attempt to differentiate the Pro models, the global chip shortage may have contributed to this decision.

Gurman added that he expects the new "iPhone 14 Max," which will bring a 6.7-inch display to the non-Pro iPhone 14 models, to be available for at least $200 less than the only current 6.7-inch iPhone option, the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Gurman also reiterated other rumors that the iPhone 14 models will share a very similar design to the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models, adding "a new notch on the Pro models," comprising a pill-shaped cutout for Face ID and a circular cutout for the camera, and "larger camera bumps to fit in new sensors."

Moreover, Gurman claimed that Apple is still working on bringing satellite connectivity features to the iPhone. Apple purportedly intended to introduce the feature with the iPhone 13 models, but the new functionality could be ready this year for the iPhone 14 lineup. The satellite connectivity features are designed to report emergencies and send short texts to emergency contacts when no cellular service is available.

The rumor is said to be supported by satellite company Globalstar Inc. reaching an agreement to buy 17 satellites to support "continuous satellite services" for a "potential" unnamed client that had paid it hundreds of millions of dollars. Gurman recently reported that the Apple Watch is also set to get satellite connectivity features in 2022 or 2023.

Article Link: Gurman: Standard iPhone 14 to Miss Out on 48MP Camera and A16 Chip, Satellite Connectivity Features Could Launch This Year

• Haha
Reactions: Macative

MayaUser

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2021
of course...some features and hardware must be missing from the normal ones compared to the Pro models...since they will be the same size but in different price points

RSB96

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I am looking forward to this increase in resolution, in certain circumstances it is noticeable that the 12 MP is already too limited in certain shots.

This year I don't think I'll buy it, I'll wait for next year, with the periscope lens, but my partner will probably end up buying it (he has an iPhone X).

However, I find the non-pro version extremely disappointing.

Reactions: midkay

MayaUser

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2021
So wondering if the new standard will continue when we also see that the normal iphone will lack some gpu cores from the Pro models

kiranmk2

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2008
The iPhone 13 is looking like a stellar buy at this point. The rumours suggest that the iPhone 14 will retain the current notch (pill/hole reserved for Pro), retain the same resolution wide camera sensor (48MP sensor reserved for Pro) and reuse the same chip (A16 reserved for Pro). Sort of like the 2013 Macs where the 2014 models brought nothing more than a very small speed boost (no new generation of chip).

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I can’t help thinking that 48Mpx is overkill for a smartphone. I have a similar resolution on my professional DSLR, and you need to be very careful with that to make effective use of all those pixels.
It will be quad Bayer, meaning 48MP divided by 4, so the end result is still 12MP. It's what every Android phones out there with high megapixel count have done as well

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
The ‘satellite connectivity’ really has me interested to see what that’s about. I totally see that working in tandem with the Apple Watch, which might have some really useful benefits not always been connected to LTE/Wi-Fi.

Ultimately, i’d like to see the Apple Watch start to separate slowly from the iPhone, which I believe Apple’s ultimate goal is to have the Apple Watch totally independent, and the satellite connectivity might be a step in that direction. More so, I would also be curious to know what kind of impact that would have on the LI-battery life with a satellite connection.

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
At same point someone should question themselves if launching a regular iPhone 14 is worth it.
There has to be a division of staggered pricing for consumers. You only create a larger swath of sales through diversity, and eliminating various models that are cheaper, only puts Apple at a disadvantage. Consumers like tiered options. It’s how it is with anything ‘tech’ related.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
Very disappointing to hear this. I was really excited for the iPhone 14 but now my excitement has slowly come down to zero over the past few months. I am so disappointed that I am going to quit reading/seeing Apple Rumors. Almost every single rumor this year has been so disappointing.

So the only thing to look forward to is the new 48MP Camera and the new notch on the Pros. Hopefully Apple increases the battery capacity on all iPhones and not just the Pros to "differentiate it".

I also hope that the iPhone 13 doesn't get discontinued because I am planning to get the 13 Mini and I want to get it after the 14 releases at a $100 discount. The only other alternative to the 13 Mini if it gets discontinued is the 12 Mini but the battery life on that is not good.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
I’m looking at my iPhone 13 Pro right now and it makes me sick to my stomach using this antiquated piece of trash
Can’t believe it’s been seven months already. It’s turned to dust, forgotten in time. There’s only a fragments of evidence it ever existed, even the memories are fading. So very sad.
/s for the serious apples

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.