Guy plundered(!!) my charger - help me prove it's mine!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josias, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Hey everyone
    Some guy in my class has a 2007 MacBook and lost his power adapter. I have a 13" MBP from June 2009, and he nicked my charger. Is there any way I can prove that the adapter belongs to my computer? Model number, SN, something?

I'd prefer not to buy a new one, so if anyone has advice, it's greatly appreciated :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

What I would do is simply kick his f*cking ass and take it back, but that's me :D

Else you might do some research if the power adapter has changed for the 2007 and 2009 MBP.

4. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

His is from a MacBook, mine is a from a MacBook Pro, but apple sells the same charger as a replacement (a 60W MagSafe for 13" MB/MBP). And yes jessica, MacBook have had MagSafe since they introduced in 2006.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Aside from yours being brand new then I'm not sure. What a douche that guy is.

6. vant macrumors 65816

13" MBP chargers have a (C) 2009 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserve at the bottom.

Part number A1330

First ask him where he got his charger from. If he says it came with the computer, check the charger year. If it says 2009, he'd look pretty retarded.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

and my 2007 Macbook has a charger that says (C) 2006 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

Part number A1184

8. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Thanks! I'll check the charger year. Thank you stridemat aswell.

A1330 + 2009 (C) = Mine

:D

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did your charger look like this?
    [​IMG]

That is what the 2007 macbook looked like. I dont know when apple changed the mag safe design to something similar to this for the mb's and mbp's offhand:
    [​IMG]

And what are you going to do when he says: "so?" or "oh yea, I bought it from someone" or "yea I had to buy a replacement" ?

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd call Apple and ask if there are any identifiable differences. I would bet that there are slight differences between a 2007 and a 2009 charger. Could be slightly different colour of the cable. And a three year old charger would be more worn and discoloured.

Just noticed: The charger on my mac says Model A1184, Copyright 2006, and a number 0823-11 and another number E131881. Maybe someone with a 2009 MBP can compare.

11. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

plundered... haha nice.

im sorry your charger was stolen, someone stole my garbage can today (we have a big one) and they replaced it with a smaller one.

I hope you get your charger back.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Nearest police station and tell them what happened. If he bought it from "someone" he would know who from. If he bought a replacement he would know where from. Apple knows what you bought; PayPal knows what you bought; your bank usually knows what you bought.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what's that saying?
    possession is 9/10 of the law of the law?

i hope the op gets it back but really, the guy could say he got it from a garage sale or an apple store or anything aka tell anyone to basically shove it if asked where he got it. i mean i dont remember where i buy all my stuff nor do i maintain a receipt database

the police i would imagine are not going to go through detective work on such a small item in their eyes when it is purely a his word my word scenario

just saying and hence why i raised that question as really, what is his plan if the dude puts up a fuss?

14. jiE macrumors regular

thats why OP has to ask the guy where he got the adapter first. If he says he got it with the computer, he's busted.

15. zed2 macrumors 6502a

doesn't help now, but just make sure everything is named or branded in someway.

I tend to write my initials on cables and the like that way it's easy to prove it's all my stuff.

16. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Hehe, I forgot about this thread.

It seems many people here thought this would be taken to court/the cops :p It was nothing this serious. He's just a guy in my class who lost his own charger, and thought he could swipe mine.

I talked to him the next time he was in school, and fortunately he had it with him. I looked at it, and it matched the serial number and year of my computer, and though he tried to blabber me off with an explanation/cover story with more holes than Windows' virus protection, I wound up getting it back.

It may have helped that I'm 6'2", and that he's not much more than 5 feet (not kidding, he's very short). Not that I would ever punch him, but just being that much taller than him helped something I guess.

17. yensteel macrumors regular

Congrats! I'm glad you were able to prove that the charger was yours.

18. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

For future reference, I just had a charger replaced on a SR MBP. The Apple Genius hooked up some tool that read a S/N off both the charger and battery. I'm not sure if these can be used to identify who owns what charger, but it seemed like was more info than just what was on written on the charger and battery.

19. vant macrumors 65816

For his sake, if you care, you can go to a genius and try that method to verify.

20. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Make no mistake, he knows it was mine ;)

21. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

that sucks dude. big trash cans are expensive.

22. Lithium. macrumors newbie

Haha, loving that :p

Glad to see you've got it back :)