iPad Guys I can't wait :) [iPad air]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by isephmusic, Oct 27, 2013.

1. isephmusic, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013

isephmusic macrumors 6502

It's so good looking the iPad air in the video it convinced me that I want it over a retina mini. To be that light and comfortable but still 9.7 inches is perfect . The screen had the most amazing colors and everything . If I can't get tmobile to sell me one then I'll have to pick up a wifi only :(

The one thing that concerned me was reviewers talking about spending 500$ + on a tablet when there are nexus 7 doing it for 250$ . Do u guys think morally and just in general it's okay to be buying a device that expensive ? I know the uses I'm going to put it for are good like school and work but it's a luxury not a necessity

2. mac.ross macrumors member

Just keep in mind, although the Nexus 7 is cheaper to buy the iPad will hold its value a lot better.

You will be able to sell the iPad in the future to offset any costs of upgrade, etc. whereas the Nexus 7 will be VERY hard to sell once there are future revisions as it doesn't hold cost well.

Even the first gen iPad sells for a lot more than a 1 year old 1st Generation Nexus tablet on eBay.

3. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i'm not really sure this is the platform for addressing the morality of purchasing an item like this but why wouldn't it be moral?

Put another way, is it immoral to purchase an iPad?
    Unless you are spending someone else's money or being otherwise dishonest I don't see how it could be.

It's pretty simple in my mind, which would you rather have, your $500+ or a new iPad?:D

4. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Are you a BMW M series kind of guy or a Nissan Versa kind of guy. Get what you pay for.

5. GoCubsGo, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love it when people tell me how I should feel when I am spending my money.
    Not that I'm buying a new iPad, but generally speaking.

There is no one article in this world that can tell me that I am morally wrong for buying an iPad at $500 when there are cheaper options out there. I venture to guess the writers spend their fair share of money and that money could have easily gone to a better cause.

There are a ton of amazing cars that aren't priced at what a BMW M is priced at. The whole car to Apple analogy has always been silly in my opinion.

6. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

People will look at it from all kinds of directions, and everybody's view is correct in their opinion. This thread could go on for days based on that premise alone. There are iPad fanatics who say that Apple products can't be beat. There are Android lovers who say that Apple is slow to catch up to the tech world and are quickly falling behind. And then there's the blend, who don't care what either side think.

Regardless of your choice, you will always be right, you will always be wrong, and there will always be people who could care less. Make the choice based on what you think is right.

7. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

My point being if it's a 80k car or 20k car ultimately they are going to do the same thing......take you from point A to point B. How you want to get there is totally user preference. I see technology the same way.

8. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

What is so immoral about spending your own money that you worked for?
    If you only give a crap about price, then get the Nexus 7. Cheaper isn't always better, and specs really don't mean anything if it still lags. I wasted nearly 300 bucks last year on a Nexus 7 + accessories, and it's basically worth nothing now. It's not even worth selling at this point because I'm not going to get much. I don't even use the tablet anymore. It just sits in a drawer and before that, it basically lived next to my toilet. lol

9. Atrin1 macrumors regular

Don't buy the Nexus 7!! its got some pros over ipad. my favorite being able to root it and use a USB flash drive with it, but even that didn't work ALL the time.

i had a nexus 7 and its just, meh. apple's iOS is so much more smoother, faster, and easier in my opinion, to have.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You have to understand that for some people, your money is not your money. It is "our" money, and you have an obligation to share it if you have too much with those that don't have enough. It's part of a mindset called "wealth redistribution". Those who have too much shouldn't buy iPads, they should donate their excess money to the local food bank.

On the other hand, there are people who think we own what we work for, and what we do with what we earn is our business and no one elses.

A lot of things depend on which of these two camps you fall in.

Me? I am spending $1000 on an iPad and not looking back. Yay! :apple:

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have a Mini and 2013 Nexus 7. The Mini gets more use but the Nexus is still a better value for the dollar spent. And I like to customize!

As far as can't wait, I'm going to a few local stores on Thursday in hopes that one will have it on display. BB had the Kindle HDX 7" on display to try before release date so why not the ipads if they get them!

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I spent some time doing some off-line reading in the Bible. Jesus said iPads are ok.

Clint

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd have to agree with you on this one. I prefer the "openness" of Android, the ability to access the file system, the ability to use FTP and move files around and not be handcuffed by iOS.

That being said, I think iOS is a lot smoother and the interface much easier to use. I spend a LOT more time with my iPad unless I need to do something I need file system access for, at which point I use my MBA or my Nexus 7.

This, of course, is MY opinion. YMMV.

14. Atrin1 macrumors regular

exactly. the nexus is a great device, with the openness like you said, but the interface it was very buggy for me. had to reboot it once a day. i don't hate it or anything. its great for how many $$ it is.

15. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The Nexus 7 is 7". You can't compare it to the iPad Air - just the mini.

To me, 7" is too small. It's like reading larger hard-cover books vs. reading smaller paperbacks. I'd rather read hard-cover books. And the web experience is so much better with those extra inches.

Ask your girlfriend is 7" or 9" is better.

----------

I guess that's why there are different OSes. I absolutely do not want to be concerned about accessing the file system, moving files, FTP, etc. while on my tablet. I have my computers for that.

A tablet could never be my only device. It's a companion device for surfing the web, reading books, listening to music, watching movies on Netflix, updating my to-do lists and calendars. I don't need to access a file system for any of that.

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

She'll tell you what any other experienced woman would tell you:
    A 7" with more ram is better suited than a 9" with less ram.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

+1

And in my opinion, being closed is a huge advantage for me and I wouldn't want iOS to be any other way.

Just the other day my coworker was explaining to me how he has a virus scanner installed on his S3.

I mean seriously? You need a virus scanner for your phone or tablet? No thank you!

18. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Hey, don't underestimate the value of a dedicated toilet tablet.

19. isephmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks guys for clearing my mind . I worked hard to make the money it's just sitting in my bank and if I spent it on an iPad I was wondering what else could $500 of gotten me and if pouring it into one luxury device would be wise . Then the guy who compared a Nissan to a BMW got me , I should not be cheap and enjoy life with the high end stuff . Good luck with your purchases Friday !

20. yegon macrumors 68020

Same.

I'm not Microsoft bashing but to me, the Surface Pro is a lesson in what happens when you bung a full OS on a tablet - lots of compromises. If you really need that level of functionality I'm convinced you'd be better buying a laptop, and maybe a small tablet, android/iOS whatever. If you really want one device only maybe one of those Yoga thingies.

I've absolutely zero interest in OS X appearing on a tablet, that's what my mba/mac mini is for. Who knows, a very sleek hybrid 5 years from now may blur the line, but within current design parameters, input methods and hardware limitations, I shudder at the thought of OS X on an iPad.

I've had gaming PC's forever and like Windows 7 - though mainly use macs when I'm not gaming - so no accusations of being an Apple fanboy please.

I don't really include Surface RT in this discussion. It's clearly an MS spin on a pure tablet OS, but it currently reeks of lame duck.

21. redman042 macrumors 68020

You get more for your money.

The iPad is built a lot better and stronger than any Android device.

The iPad has a massive library of really high quality tablet optimized apps available, so you can get much more use out of the device.

If you have a problem with your device, Apple will take better care of you than Google ever would.

If you want the iPad, don't feel bad about getting it.

22. Porkaysi macrumors member

i had a 2013 nexus 7, i liked it a lot; screen is outstanding and it worked like a top tier tablet should. i don't like iPhone size / prefer android as my phone OS so i will be getting the iPad though because i like using IOS and Android. but i had the 2013 nexus 7 for month and a half, very happy with it and when you throw in the low price it makes it better.

23. sixstrings03 macrumors regular

What would you plan to do with that information? Just share your stats in your footer if you insist on sharing that kind of detail.

24. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

I beg to differ. The analogy serves well as it touches on the concept that people will pay a premium price for quality AND perception, amongst resale value and purchasing satisfaction. Sometimes it makes the choice easier also--paying more to get something you know you will like. The bar has already been established, taking your guesswork out of the equation.

25. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

100% agree.

I have a car and a bicycle. I do not want a hybrid bicycle/car (motorcycle) - doesn't work the same, is not 'better' than both.

I have a toaster and an oven. A hybrid toaster/oven (toaster-oven) - won't work 'better' than both.

I have bath towels and hand towels. Having one type of towel half-way between won't work as well as both different sizes.