Guys I desperateley need itouch help!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nickarmstrong07, Apr 16, 2008.

1. nickarmstrong07 macrumors newbie

Hello guys, ive recently bought a used 16gb touch (preowned) and found its disabled! ("ipod disabled, connect to itunes message on screen).

Ive downloaded the latest itunes but it tells me to put in the passcode when opened (which I obviously dont know coz ive been screwed over).

Ive been searching for 2 whole days and tried all manual recovery methods I can find but to no avail.
    Basically the "holding the power & home, letting go of power when apple logo shows method" & the "hold home while you plug the ipod in" method hasnt done anything for me, it still boots up normally and goes to the "ipod disabled connect to itunes screen".

In another forum someone told me to try ziphone but this didnt do anything because the phone isnt paired with itunes and obviously this isnt the computer its been originally synced to.

I just cant seem to be able to restore it manually at all, I dont care about losing anything on it, I just want the thing unlocked so I havnt spent a lot of money on a door stop!

Can someone PLEEAAASE help me out as I havnt slept for nearly 3 days from trying to sort it and im close to a breakdown lol!

PS great site!
    Nick

2. stargurl84 macrumors member

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Did you buy it from Apple refurb? They should be able to take care of it if you bring it to a apple store. Even try just bringing it to an apple store anyway or calling atleast. Its worth a shot.

4. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean hacks for it?

5. Zach14 macrumors newbie

this happenned to my friends itouch too. when i get on my pc later i'll giv u the vid i used.

6. guywoodman7 macrumors member

I recently helped Jailbreak a friends iPod touch. It was passcode locked and I couldn't get a hold of her to find out what her password was. I was able to bypass it by going in DFU mode (or recovery I get them mixed up).

Anyways, I know you tried this already but this worked for me and timing is KEY. Follow these instructions and you should be able to restore the iPod touch to factory defaults.

1. Plug the iPod into your computer with iTunes open.
    2. Hold down the "Home" and "Reset" buttons until the iPod shuts down...the next step is KEY!!!
    3. The split second after you see the iPod DISMOUNT FROM THE ITUNES SIDEBAR!!!!! THEN let go of the reset button while continuing to hold the "Home" button. (Basically the idea is to let go of the reset button the moment the iPod is unmounted from your computer)
    4. CONTINUE holding the home button until you get a message in iTunes that says it has detected an iPod in recovery mode (it may take 10-15 seconds). From there you can just restore and bypass the security code.

I cant stress enough how important the timing is. I learned the hard way months ago. You may not get it your first try but just do EXACTLY what I said and you should be in business. Just be patient!

GOOD LUCK!

7. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, im finishing work in like 20 mins and as soon as I get home ill get crackin on it. I dont care if it takes me all night to get the timing right as long as ive got assurance its worthwile doing! Ill let you know how I get on in a while

8. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ps what do you mean by when I see the ipod "dismount from the itunes sidebar"????

9. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

he means pressing the little eject button next to the iPod icon in iTunes.

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If that does not work, and you have a Mac, you could reformat the iPod touch completely in Disk Utility.

11. guywoodman7 macrumors member

The sidebar in iTunes is where you see "music", "movies", etc. You will also see your iPod in this same column when it is powered on and connected to your computer.

When you hold the reset and home buttons to shut off your iPod, you will see your iPod dissapear from that sidebar column in iTunes. This is the iPod unmounting itself.

Just follow my instructions exactly and it will work.

12. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

But when i open itunes i get te error message saying i need to unlock the ipod with the passcode, after clicking ok there is no ipod in the column.

13. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably due to the fact that this pc isnt the 1 the ipod isnt originally synced to! Was that the case with you aswel?

14. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

Perhaps you could try asking the previous owner what the passcode is.

15. mac-mini macrumors newbie

to put the ipod into recovery mode:
    Hold the top button until you get the slide to power off screen. Power the ipod off

once the iPod is off, hold the home button and then plug in the USB cable to the iPod. Keep Holding the home button until you see a connect to iTunes screen. WHen you have to connect to itunes screen you should be able to click the restore button to restore and the passcode will be gone

16. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Gotcha, in that case I would modify my instructions just a bit. Basically do everything the same...keep the phone turned on, itunes open (dismiss the error message)...then hold the reset and home button until the screen goes blank. That's when you release the reset button while continuing to hold the home button.

Timing is still important. I usually wait probably a half of a second before I release the reset button AFTER the screen goes blank, but BEFORE the apple logo comes back up. Just be sure to hold the home button for at least a solid 10 seconds on its own before trying again. You want to make sure your computer has enough time to recognize the iPod in recovery mode.

And if you don't get it the first time, adjust the timing of when you release the reset button. Meaning if you don't get it to work after releasing "reset" a half second after the screen goes blank, try a full second after the screen goes blank, etc.

Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

17. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

When i do that, the "slide to power off" comes up, do I carry on holding reset/home while i slide?

18. guywoodman7 macrumors member

The "power off" slider will come up, you need to continue holding both buttons. After another second or so the screen will just go blank.

I actually just stumbled upon this video on youtube that illustrates the process pretty well. Check it out to make sure your doing everything correctly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk

19. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

i did notice you tried ziphone, and all you would have to do, is quit iTunes, open ziphone, and hit dfu mode...

20. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this but when im holding home & power, the slide to power off comes up but stays there for a while then goes back to the disabled screen. The screen does eventually go blank but its not rebooting, its just the screensaver.

Any last resorts guys or is a trip to the nearest apple store needed (wherever the hell that is!)?

PS, I really appreciate all of you guys taking the time to try and help me!

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They are unfortunately still unconscious.

22. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Hmmm, I don't know what else to tell you. In all the iPhone's and iPod Touch's I've jailbroken, I've never had an issue like the one your explaining.

Someone mentioned above to reformat using disk utility, I'm not sure that's a good move, but if I were you I would Google it and see if anyone has successfully done that. Otherwise, if the iPod is NOT jailbroken, I would take it to the Apple store. Maybe a Genius will help you out. Even if they deny you, you got nothing to lose.

And another post pointed out using ZiPhone and hitting the DFU button in Ziphone to kick it forcibly into DFU mode (which is what you need to happen). I know you mention you attempted to use Ziphone and I know it won't allow you to jailbreak when the iPod isn't paired to your computer, but will it let you kick it into DFU mode? Give that a shot, I have no other suggestions unfortunately.

Sorry, and good luck.

23. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well with ziphone, even the dfu ode button when pressed still tels me "pairing issue" and I called my nearest apple store today and they wont touch it as I bought it preowned.
    Im gonna borrow my friends mac tomorrow and see if I can do anything with that but ive never used a mac in m life so whats this "disk mode" thing you mention? and do you think it could work with my iod touch?

24. nickarmstrong07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other takers?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

25. panadero macrumors newbie

Maybe you are talking about "disk utility" instead of "disk mode". On a mac, and I haven't used on in a while, is an app called "Disk Utility", basically "Disk Management" in XP. It allows you to view the hard disks and partitions in and on the computer. Plug the ipod in, find the Disk Utility app. You should see the ipod in there, as a disk. Right click on it, or from the menus, or somewhere, you *might* be able to format the ipod. You, having a windows computer, will want to format it as fat32, and not the Apple format.

If that works, you should be able to put the the touch in recovery mode and push a new firmware, ziphone, etc...from XP.

VERY IMPORTANT: if this fubar's your ipod touch, it's not my responsibility, i'm not liable for it :D